BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
6M views 104K replies 316 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 ·
There has been a bunch of OT threads lately, so i think we should try to keep it all the ot talk in one place. I know the e36 forum rocks, and all the other forums suck big time :bigpimp:, yet we need to stay on topic....

#86,642 ·
It sounds like Karl is just a well rounded individual. He proudly displays it with a Greenpeace bumper sticker on his GTO.
Reminds me of a new GTO i used to see on my way to work, black on black, what sounded like glasspacks, and a Hybrid badge stuck under the 6.0 badge. :rofl:

In other news, I just sucessfully made my first Old fashioned. I over-sweetened it but its still damn good, I think I have a new drink!

#86,643 ·
Reminds me of a new GTO i used to see on my way to work, black on black, what sounded like glasspacks, and a Hybrid badge stuck under the 6.0 badge. :rofl:

In other news, I just sucessfully made my first Old fashioned. I over-sweetened it but its still damn good, I think I have a new drink!
Heh, probably someone being sarcastic. I could see myself doing something like that.

And careful with those sweet drinks. In college, I once made myself a white russian in a full size 20oz glass. Full. To the brim. With the proper 1/3 1/3 1/3 proportions, except that we only had non fat milk so I used Baileys instead of cream.

A) it was like drinking a damn milkshake, very think and sweet. (in fact, it looked rather like what babe out of my old M52....)

B) the sweetness belied the 20ozs of liquor I was consuming. It didn't seem like something so sweet could have so much alcohol, but it did :eeps:

I didn't do that again.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

#86,648 ·
Heh, probably someone being sarcastic. I could see myself doing something like that.

And careful with those sweet drinks. In college, I once made myself a white russian in a full size 20oz glass. Full. To the brim. With the proper 1/3 1/3 1/3 proportions, except that we only had non fat milk so I used Baileys instead of cream.

A) it was like drinking a damn milkshake, very think and sweet. (in fact, it looked rather like what babe out of my old M52....)

B) the sweetness belied the 20ozs of liquor I was consuming. It didn't seem like something so sweet could have so much alcohol, but it did :eeps:

I didn't do that again.

Yeah I don't do sweet drinks in the typical sense. This is ~1 tsp of simple syrup, ~3 dashes of bitters, 1 shot of bourbon with an orange twist. Not much more to it than bourbon on the rocks, nothing like a white russian or the sh!t your typical college students consume.

The next one will be ~1/2tsp syrup, 3 dashes bitters, 1 shot bourbon and more orange rind.

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/21/zach-sobiech-was-a-nissan-gt-r-fan-will-always-be-our-hero/

Apparently Nissan lent a terminally ill 18 year old boy a GT-R for a week, right before he passed away. That video is incredibly powerful, I was tearing up at about 2 minutes in and a complete wreck when his sister started talking. I can't make it through the entire thing now but I'm saving the link for when I feel more manly.

If I'm ever in that position and 1/10th positive and strong as he is I'd be amazed. His outlook on life is a model to live by.

He passed away on Monday. :(

#86,649 ·
He should get one of those generator thingies that are supposed to ward of mosquitos for an entire yard. Put one under his deck and outside the door of his garage.
propane or lpg burners with a catch bag, you mean?? they make all sorts of sizes and styles, but they are designed to attract the female mosquito to that area....should be as far away as possible from where people will be gathering....:tsk:

unless it's something else altogether??

Those are terrible for the environment. All those toxins will soak into the surrounding area, including the frogs, fish, turtles, birds, etc. Unless you're talking about the audio based things, which I highly doubt that they actually work. And who knows what the downsides of those are, too. Basically, you can't fcuk with nature. Just gotta exist in it.
no 'toxins' being applied. co2, yes, but that happens with so many other processes.

There are a couple of awesome laser based systems for pest control. Get one of those?

Here's a very effective and humane? one. Only kills female mosquitoes because of their ability to transmit malaria (and bite you).
while i applaud the idea, the thought that it only works with electricity and is desperately needed in parts of the world where it is scarce, it's kinda like giving someone the keys to a ferrari to move a sofa. nice gesture, but not at all practical.

and mosquitos vector more than just malaria. *sooooo* much more....

the best control for mosquitos is habitat reduction. if they can't breed, they won't be able to multiply. they are quite adept at finding breeding sources, too. things like gutters that are clogged, flat roofs (sheds, trailers, and such), little gullies of cinderblock walls, paint cans, garbage can lids, buckets, pails, and the like. all they need is about 1/2 cup of water and they're going to town.

got a bird bath?? use a spray bottle and coat the top with some veggie oil. the oil lays thin enough to suffocate the pupae (they ned to 'snorkel' to breathe), but will not be enough to affect the birds.

the same with a small pond, if you have enough oil to do this, but i suggest minnows. they love the tumblers (larvae) and snorkelers. just be mindful of birds that prey on the fish.

fans are a nice, clean way to reduce mosquito activity as well. actually any fly. they hate air currents. it just depends on the species as to the level of breeze needed to be successful in keeping them at bay.

bt is also a great way to control mosquitos. the bt donut dunks can be anchored to keep them from being carried away or removed by currents and such. it's a microbe, i think, that attacks the larvae of mosquitos. there are all sorts of varieties, too, i believe. some will work for a lot of foliage depleating caterpillars as well.

and for the record, those sonic devices don't work. if they did, *i'd* be using them. why would i want to crawl through some nasty, wet, dark creepy crawlsace for ants if i could avoid it with an extension cord and a plug??:dunno:

How does one hire a pest control company.....df?

Gotta go catch up on 3 OT pages....brb

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
here's the link for the company i work for http://www.jcehrlich.com/. we can pretty much customize a plan for almost any situation. you could also try yellowpages and also suggestions from friends/relatives. not sure if angies list covers pest control providers or not, though. however, if you have any ?'s, shoot me a pm, k?? even if you decide to go with another company, i can help make sure that the tech you have doing the work will be capable. the last thing anyone needs is a 'baseboard jockey'.

may i ask as to what issues or concerns you are having?? :dunno: (we're running a special prommotion on pterodactyls....:angel: )

df

#86,651 ·
Very nice synopsis on your roots Karl. You got lucky with the upbringing heavy in highly-educated circles. I see plenty of those 'merican people when I go down south to inditucky for Sprint car races.

#86,652 ·
yes, pyrethroids are highly toxic to aquadic life. however, the materials formulated for use in a fogging machine are highly restricted, and, depending upon state/local ordinances, may not be legal for a homeowner to apply in that manner.

things like wind levels need to be monitored, as well as a surrounding area assessment, and even neighborhood notification if residences are within certain proximities.

as i understand it, exterior foggings are done only with a dissipating pyrethroid, meaning it leaves no residual when it dries. otherwise, places like concert parks that do this sort of thing quite often, would be liable for any sort of damages caused by reactions of the application of said materials.

pyrethroids are the largest classification of pesticides used, and by far the most abused. this is because there are many formulations readily available to joe homeowner who does not read, understand, and follow the label directions. that would be like one of us going to the parts store and ordering 'spark plugs' and then forcing them into our cars, only to complain that they don't work right, so now you're going to start making 'modifications' to the rest of the engine to make it work...

again, i do this for a living. when i was an auto tech i handled materials that were 100's of times worse than the 'poisons' i use now. yet some environmentalists believe that i am polluting the environment more now than i did as an auto tech...:dunno:

use aspirin, for example. it's an effective product and has multiple benefits. however, some people are allergic to it, and can die if they take it. does that make it a harmful product?? does that take away from its effectiveness?? if one takes 2 aspirin and gets rid of their headache, does it mean that if they take 4 it's going to go away twice as fast?? if it doesn't work for aspirin, what makes joe homeowner think it'll work for pesticides or herbicides??:mad::mad::mad:

sorry,....ranting. it's just plain stupid to me. also, for the record, i am allergic to aspirin. i also can find the ld50 level for it, as well as many other products that people consider 'dangerous'. did you guys know that bleach has the same ld50 level as chlordane?? yet people know that it's not a good idea to double up on the bleach in the wash, yet would regularly double up on the mix rate for this when treating their homes?? this is one of the factors as to why it was banned. it's not so much what the material is, it's the dosage of the material being used.

take for instance ocumadin. it's a blood thinner. in a different dosage, it's a rodenticide. does that make it bad?? or just something that one needs to be careful with when using?? and understand how to apply properly?? what about cleaning products?? read your bathroom cleaning product labels.:eeps: pool chemicals?? :eeps: how many people get injured with these products every year through carelessness and complacentcy...:dunno:

end rant...:angel:
df

#86,653 · (Edited)
^Speaking of....(edit, referring to Jose)

One of the memories that stuck with me was the 02 Indy 500, there was a very nice Sikh man there who was being heckled by a group of a few 40-something Bud-drinking ********. They were calling him slurs and saying if the rag on his head didn't have a 'Murican flag on it he'd better take it off-or else-sort of thing. Felt real bad for him as he wasn't bothering anyone at all, they antagonized him on their own simply because he was different and had the audacity to wear a turban.

I don't recall ever seeing something so blatant & public and it really surprised and bothered me. Disappointing to see people behave like that.

Also, I'm just going to leave this here. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKffm2uI4dk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

#86,655 ·
Nice Jesse!

A/c question, hopefully df will see it.

Converted the E30 to R134a, oiled her up, new belt, and charged it to about 40 percent of the R12 rating to be safe. I charged the low side with the engine off.

Fired her up and walah, she works! Then about 30 Seconds later I reved it up to make sure all is well and the rubber line from the compressor to the cylinder thing (drier?) burst.

Coincidence of an old line, or do you think something else is wrong? I took a line from the nice E30 shell so tomorrow I'll try again unless there is an issue at hand.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#86,656 ·
did you replace the drier?? did you have guages hooked up to both sides??

40% is a bit low. too low....unless your math is off.....:p

go with about 80%, and use guages.

did you pull a vacuum on the system?? if not, then that right there is a mistake. oxygen and r134a can react violently when under pressure and high temps. about 300*f, iirc....

so replace the drier, pull a vacuum on the system and recharge.

with guages....

no, you do not need 'barrier hoses'. i've done a gazillion retrofits and never needed any, i doubt you do. not sure as to why, exactly the hose burst, but it has been my experience there was an issue with the hose itself and would have burst with r12 even.

hope this helps.

df

#86,657 · (Edited)
Cool, just had a 5.7 earthquake about 60 miles from here..... kinda felt like I was in a wave pool :rofl:

Just had two after shocks, one 3.5 and one 2.6, hardly felt those though...

#86,658 · (Edited)
Yesh.

Boss gave me the keys to his Mini Cooper S. Call me crazy, but I am enjoying it a ton. The interior is VERY poorly designed, but it's a quick little car and very responsive. Supercharger + 6 speed + stock suspension = enjoyable commute. He said I could drive it until after I get my car up and running in trade for pictures, a wash/detail, and a well-written craigslist ad when he wants to sell it.

In other news, Diana is officially out of commission for a bit. She's gonna need a new rack ($160 from rack doctor) and new tie rods, end links, control arms, and control arm bushings. Additionally, I will need new power steering lines (all 3) and a new reservoir. While I'm at it, I will be repainting the hood, trunk, spoiler, front & rear bumpers, mirrors, as well as new side skirts. I will button up my headlight retrofit to look 100% OEM. If I have time, I will also refinish the wheels.

She will be a WHOLE new girl in about 2 months.

#86,659 ·
Nice James, I wish I had the coin to do work on my car :(

In other news, up to 6 quakes now :D

#86,660 ·
Yesh.

Boss gave me the keys to his Mini Cooper S. Call me crazy, but I am enjoying it a ton. The interior is VERY poorly designed, but it's a quick little car and very responsive. Supercharger + 6 speed + stock suspension = enjoyable commute. He said I could drive it until after I get my car up and running in trade for pictures, a wash/detail, and a well-written craigslist ad when he wants to sell it.

In other news, Diana is officially out of commission for a bit. She's gonna need a new rack ($160 from rack doctor) and new tie rods, end links, control arms, and control arm bushings. Additionally, I will need new power steering lines (all 3) and a new reservoir. While I'm at it, I will be repainting the hood, trunk, spoiler, front & rear bumpers, mirrors, as well as new side skirts. I will button up my headlight retrofit to look 100% OEM. If I have time, I will also refinish the wheels.

She will be a WHOLE new girl in about 2 months.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=9Cv8YbC_w5I#t=8s

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.