BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

05 S4 Avant Tip vs M3 SMG

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  sayemthree 
#1 ·
..for reasons i wont expound upon, im considering trading in my M3 (which i love) for a more practical (for me at this point) s4 Avant.

Will i be totally bummed, or is this a nice compromise of function/performance?

Its has to do with spouse, work, etc...

#3 ·
having clients/managers, have to climb into the back of a coupe is less than ideal. Hauling around the items i have to haul for work is difficult in an M3. My SUV is on the blink and will probably die soon, so i cant rely on it. My wife doesnt like driving the M3. ....and so on...
if i can make it work and carry these two car notes, great, but right now i dont think i want to.
h

#5 ·
I gather from the SMG and auto S4 reference that a manual isn't an option? If it were, and E39 M5 would be more enjoyable than the S4 while still retaining some M-car sportiness.

The idea of a used 300c or Magnum as a business car would also be preferable to the Audi. My wife drives an A4 and I've driven a few B6 S4's, and they're great for incliment weather or a torquey car, but I wouldn't personally replace an M3 with one.

#7 · (Edited)
No, manual isnt an option. She wont even drive the SMG.
The whole logistics and "why" issues are more complicated than i wanted to get into here. A trunk is actually inadequate for what i do. Ive always used an SUV, so i thought a somewhat sporty wagon may be a decent compromise. Im in sales, and there is an issue of appearance. Some people look at sales people(specifically my industry) driving $40k Bimmers with disdain. While they never think twice about sales people in a $50k Tahoe or whatver. Like i said, there are a miriad of reasons im considering all this horror...

I should have just asked how the S4 compares, whats Tiptronic like, etc...my bad, and thanks for all the feedback...

#9 · (Edited)
What about a 540iT? 290hp. Drives as well as the sedan. Nice wagon.

I have both the M3 and 540iT, so I'd be happy to answer any questions.

You could likely do a no cash swap. I just bought a perfect, loaded (nav, dsp, homelink, etc) 2003 540iT for around $27K

The S4 Avant is interesting, but a little small for what you want. And it is not a BMW.

Oh, and the 540iT is a steptronic (basically the same as the Tiptronic). I honestly don't find it that great to shift though. Better to put it in Sport mode. Heck with the DSC off, it will flat MELT the rear tires.

And VF-Engineering makes a sweet SC kit for $6K. It's on my Christmas list.

Tom

#10 · (Edited)
I test drove an A4. It's smaller and also a bit noiser than the 3. Audi does a good job on the interior but not on A4's. Also, Volkswagen is notorious for frequent problems and thus poor customer satisfaction. I wonder if Audi is any better. Have you considered a 335i sedan w/ step? 335i seems to have near-M3 performance but also everyday practicality.

By the way, how is SMG? Read much about it, but it seems like there are split opinions on it. Is auto mode of SMG - automatic/comfortable enough?

#20 ·
..for reasons i wont expound upon, im considering trading in my M3 (which i love) for a more practical (for me at this point) s4 Avant.
Will i be totally bummed, or is this a nice compromise of function/performance?
Its has to do with spouse, work, etc...
The B5 S4 has the 2.7 liter twin turbo engine. Lot's of torque and mod potential.
The B6 or B7 S4 has the 4.2 liter V-8 naturally aspirated engine. Good power, but it's their outgoing 5-valve per cylinder engine (vs the 4-valve per cylinder newer V-8 in the RS4). The Audi won't handle as well as the M3, but if you need more room and 4 doors, it could work.

Ventoux said:
having clients/managers, have to climb into the back of a coupe is less than ideal. Hauling around the items i have to haul for work is difficult in an M3. My SUV is on the blink and will probably die soon, so i cant rely on it. My wife doesnt like driving the M3. ....and so on...
if i can make it work and carry these two car notes, great, but right now i dont think i want to
Typically, a client transportation scenario, especially when you have two or more at once, calls for a 4-door vehicle. If your wife doesn't like to drive the M3, yet needs to; well, that's not a good combo either. And, of course, the $$$ come into play. Sounds like you'll need to make a change (in vehicles, that is!).

Ventoux said:
No, manual isnt an option. She wont even drive the SMG.
The whole logistics and "why" issues are more complicated than i wanted to get into here. A trunk is actually inadequate for what i do. Ive always used an SUV, so i thought a somewhat sporty wagon may be a decent compromise. Im in sales, and there is an issue of appearance. Some people look at sales people(specifically my industry) driving $40k Bimmers with disdain. While they never think twice about sales people in a $50k Tahoe or whatver. Like i said, there are a miriad of reasons im considering all this horror...
I should have just asked how the S4 compares, whats Tiptronic like, etc...my bad, and thanks for all the feedback...
Again, she won't drive SMG, yet needs to drive the car at hand. Change cars.
The B6/B7 S4 has a good 6-speed automatic (marketing name: Tiptronic).
Since it's an auto-tranny, your wife would be fine.
However, if in your judgement, having the Audi would still be a negative in your job, there are certainly many other options.

Ventoux said:
Oh, and actually the wife says, "you are NOT selling that car!"
Wait a minute. She won't drive the SMG M3, and at the same time tells you you're not to sell the car?
Is she willing to pony up for two notes? Are you?
Maybe you could pull it off by getting a clean, relatively new Chevy Blazer or Tahoe, and keep the M?

Good luck with your decision!

#21 ·
we own a 2001 M3 6MT and a 2004 S4 Avant 6MT. The S4 is an awesome car and the Avant gives more room. since we have a kids dog the Avant makes sence. I think the only disappointment you will have is with the TIP. The MT is much better. the TIP really sucks IMO.

#23 ·
not sure what you mean exactly, but in raw acceleration and handling the M3 is quicker. however a few S4 6MT's with minor mods (chip, intake and exhaust) have been known to beat M3's in straight line acceleration - as the M3 is much more difficult to launch - the S4 is a piece of cake to launch. however if you dont necessarily need a track car the S4 is a great alternative - it has 4 doors, a nicer interior, some improved ergonimics, nice recaro seats, and better manual shifter. and if you get lots of rain and snow the AWD makes sence.

however on track the S4 is close enough that a good driver can catch a not quite as good driver. I have had the pleasure to pass many M3's on the track in my station wagon. :thumbup:

BTW, nice MCoupe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.