Readjusted camber for better tire wear?

5K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  RockChips 
#1 ·
and still stay within BMW specs?

possible?

#3 ·
Set the TOE to the MINIMUM BMW ALLOWS. The spec it in a number of ways:

0.0 to 0.08

Or I've seen 0.5" plus or minus 0.3...which means 0.02" is the minimum...

But whatever the spec is, set it to EXACTLY the minimum, unless the min spec is zero, go just a bit above. (If the min is zero, go to 0.01..)

Camber set it around mid spec.

#5 ·
I think all E70s will be the same. Probably have a pdf of the BMW procedure somewhere on line....

#8 ·
Toe is what wears out the tires.
More toe means your tires are traveling forward while the tires are not parellel to the direction of travel. Therefore, there is more scrubbing.
Camber determines which part of the tires will be scrubbed when the toe is not 0°.
More negative camber and higher toe angle means the inner edge will wear out before the rest of the tire does. More positive camber in combination with toe angle will cause the outer edge to wear out first. No camber with toe angle means the tire will wear evenly but prematurely.

My wife's x5 has premature inner edge wear on both rear tires. It's time for an alignment. The x5 is 6 years old and we should have gotten an alignment sooner...

Too much toe angle is the probable cause.

#7 ·
Uh... minimize wear? and still stay within "BMWs stated specification limits"....

#9 ·
^^ My hero.

Keep in mind that you WANT camber- it makes the car handle well.: settle into the turns, etc. Just keep it mid to low in the range.

Oh, just saw this is a year old. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.