Cold this morning!

2K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  x3brian 
#1 ·
-3 in NH!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice!!!

I'm looking real forward to my business trip next week to Minnesota....weather channel says it currently feels like -17 with wind chill.

Us California folks aren't use to that..;). I haven't been to someplace that cold since I was fresh out of college and the senior engineers thought it would be really funny to send the "kid" up to Fort McMurray Canada in January....

After that I vowed never to go where there are electrical outlets in the grocery store parking lot so your engine doesn't freeze ever again....

#11 ·
A/C turns on automatically at +5 F ?!!!

Hi all,

I find this thread relevant to my stupid question:
Does anyone know what sick logic makes the A/C turn on in my E83 when climate control is set to Automatic and the temperature inside is +5F (-15 C)?

I know, it has never meant to be "the ultimate computing machine", but still, WTF.. (WTC..)?!!

Stay warm!

#16 ·
Hi all,

I find this thread relevant to my stupid question:
Does anyone know what sick logic makes the A/C turn on in my E83 when climate control is set to Automatic and the temperature inside is +5F (-15 C)?

I know, it has never meant to be "the ultimate computing machine", but still, WTF.. (WTC..)?!!

Stay warm!
It dehumidifies the air to help keep the windows from fogging up from your breath, steaming coffee, whatever. I never turn mine off and just set the display to the temperature I'm looking for and it takes care of the rest. It honestly does know what it's doing. And just because the snowflake is lit doesn't mean the compressor is running.

I would like to add a friendly FYI :). I'm not talking from just a Florida perspective. We travel extensively and my X3 has seen single digit temperatures on many occasions. I hope this helps.

#13 ·
Thanks, Madurodave!

I'll try it tomorrow.
So, if I understand it correctly, if I last run the window defogger mode, the A/C will start again next morning?

Just had the thing in the shop and got an X1 loaner - sweet! Drives like a 3 series and has room of X3! All the "automatic" features are truly automatic, finally! I had trouble getting used to the "latchless" turn signal for a while, but finally got it. Also, interior finish was stunning.

That is my next car, I swear!

#14 ·
What I have found on my 2007 is if you depress Automatic, the A/C comes on. Depress A/C button to turn off but maintain auto temperature control (without A/C).

Depress Defrost button to defrost. Depress Defrost button again to go back to auto heat without re-engaging A/C function.

If you hit Auto button again, A/C is back on.

Hope that's clear!

#17 ·
Thanks, usaret! It really helps. I guess it was too cold this morning and I was impatient waiting for the engine to warm up. The winter package in my X3 is great, but when the fan turns on and the thermostat is still closed, driver gets a windchill factor in addition to the frigid air. The engine is big and efficient, so the thermostat opens only on a 5th-6th mile of my drive to work, so I have to endure the chill until then. When I saw the snowflake I shivered even more, then overreacted and posted my rant.

Funny, at single digit temperatures the air is so dry that my breath does not contribute enough moisture to affect the visibility. A large coffee mug certainly would, but I start my day with two shots of espresso and do not carry a mug with me :)

I hate to think of running the engine to warm up the car for 15 minutes before I get in - I consider this very irresponsible from the environmental point of view.
I guess there is one solution for improving the temperature - forcing the air recirculation on. The winter package has a wheel heater but not an electric air heater - the latter would be very useful...

Happy Friday, everyone!

#18 ·
Thanks, usaret! It really helps. I guess it was too cold this morning and I was impatient waiting for the engine to warm up. The winter package in my X3 is great, but when the fan turns on and the thermostat is still closed, driver gets a windchill factor in addition to the frigid air. The engine is big and efficient, so the thermostat opens only on a 5th-6th mile of my drive to work, so I have to endure the chill until then. When I saw the snowflake I shivered even more, then overreacted and posted my rant.

Funny, at single digit temperatures the air is so dry that my breath does not contribute enough moisture to affect the visibility. A large coffee mug certainly would, but I start my day with two shots of espresso and do not carry a mug with me :)

I hate to think of running the engine to warm up the car for 15 minutes before I get in - I consider this very irresponsible from the environmental point of view.
I guess there is one solution for improving the temperature - forcing the air recirculation on. The winter package has a wheel heater but not an electric air heater - the latter would be very useful...

Happy Friday, everyone!
You're welcome. The car is pretty smart. As the video shows it also senses dirty air via a sensor located on the fan shroud under the hood. You also shouldn't be getting too much fan until the engine is warmed up some. To keep it from blasting you with cold air.

Here is a pretty good video from BMW on the operation.

#19 ·
As a side note...

When its really cold your car uses the ac to defog the windows faster. Believe it or not, it is quicker to defog with cold air blowing in the windshield because it is closer in temperature to the exterior glass.

Back in the day...remember when you turned on the defogger and the window fogged over until the temperature of the glass and the air equalized? That was what warm air does. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.