BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

potential new GT buyers!!!! dynamic handling!!

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  daders 
#1 ·
A COMPLETELY NON TECHNICAL POINT OF VIEW!!!

Dropped my GT off today to have a few things looked at by my dealer... Had to beg a little but because it was a weekday and likely quiet I got them to give me a managers GT as a loaner....

BUUUUUTTTTT.. the GT i borrowed did not have Dynamic Handling...

I will go on to agree with many out there that are happy with the GT they test drove that did not have DH, and we all know very few dealers have more then one GT if any around to test let alone one with and one without DH to compare.... The GT DOEW DRIVE GREAT WITHOUT DH.... BUT IT IS NOT SOMETHING TO BYPASS WHEN BUILDING YOUR CAR.

yes there are times driving the car without GT seems absolutely wonderful BUT no one spending 60K minimum on this car should not be given the chance to enjoy the incredible difference a simple push of the button gives you with DH!!

AND there is a lot of differences between the two cars... a GT WITHOUT DH does not drive the same as a car with GT that simply has the DH set to comfort..

The seeing are completely different, the handling, the steering, the response...EVERYTHING!!!!

I drove the loaner roughly 70 miles today on my normal route to and from work, a route i obviously know very well.....while i still enjoyed the GT without DH, I am not sure I would buy it!!!! The GT without is a great comfortable sedan, a sporty 7 series lets say... the GT with DH is a european sports sedan!!!!!!

GET DH... YOU WILL THANK ME FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mp

See less See more
#2 ·
That's so interesting, mpress, that you had a chance to compare. I know it can be hard to put words to it, but what about the handling, the steering, the response, etc. was different?

Were you more aware of turbo lag? Did the Gt feel more apt to roll a little? Did you feel the bumps a little more?

#3 ·
My GT without DH should be arriving at the end of the month and your post is exactly why I DON'T want to drive a GT with DH. If the difference is anything close to what you described, I'm better off not knowing. :) In this case ignorance is bliss.

#5 ·
lex2, I'm sorry i know i just want that out there for future buyers... i know i personally would be appreciative if i were looking to buy...

bryan....i knew that would be your response... and like i said still a great car without it...but wow what a difference with it!!!!!
mp

#7 ·
Then I better not drive one with DH. :thumbup:

If this was going to be my daily driver, I would of added a few more options. Wife loves the car as is, I did try to talk her into IAS and top view cameras. She said, "Our 740il did not have these features and it was fine." :mad:

#6 ·
starry,
just totally a different car!

i mentioned it to my dealer who i love and who bothers to drive everything he can get his hands on... he agreed... interestingly he also commented that there is less of a difference in the 5 series sedan with and with out DH... but he just felt the weight, size and wheel base of the GT magnify the difference between dh and no dh.
mp

#9 ·
...but he just felt the weight, size and wheel base of the GT magnify the difference between dh and no dh.
mp
So the GT seats, what, about 4" higher or something than the Sedan? So the center-of-gravity is probably higher, so perhaps any horizontal damping would make a greater difference the further from the ground.

I know the throttle response in Sport mode helps to eliminate a lot of the turbo lag that I feel in Comfort mode, but I'm not sure if that's a result of DH, or if that would be the case with just the shifter moved left into Sport. I haven't played with it enough.

#8 ·
bryan
sounds like we think a lot alike and our wives would get along really well....
mp

#11 ·
i think comfort setting is pretty comparable with or without dh...msport pkg comfort may be a tad stiffer then non sport but in comfort i find less of a difference from build to build...but i will always lean towards stiffer....especially since you always have comfort+ with DH if you want/need that much cushion..
mp

#12 · (Edited)
Dh

MPress:

I am not going to have a chance to drive a GT with DH...

Would you buy a '11 GT w/29k miles WITH DH or an '11 GT w/17k miles w/sport package and NO DH? Same money. Other options are close and thus a push.

thx

#13 ·
Depends on how you drive and whether it still has any warranty left! The DH package adds a fair amount of new hardware, a lot of it will not be inexpensive to repair when it needs work.

From a handling viewpoint, personally, I've not driven one with it, so only know what I've been told. It does corner flatter, but I'm not sure you'll actually get higher G's with it. May end up with lower impact over a bump, but again, can't say for sure.

#14 ·
I've been trying to find the answer to this myself, but have been unsuccessful. When doing a VIN search what is/are the code(s) for dynamic handling? For example our vehicle (MY 2010) has the following: S229A Dynamic Drive, S2VAA Adaptive Drive and S223A EDC (is EDC not standard on the 550?)

If those aren't combining to form the dynamic handling package how does this differ?

#15 ·
Yes, you have the full DD system as I understand it. It appears that you could have just gotten the EDC alone.

#16 ·
S223A Elektronische Dämpfer Control (EDC) Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
S229A Dynamic Drive Dynamic Drive
S2VAA Adaptive Drive Chassis & suspens. setup"Adaptive Drive"

#17 ·
So, for my own clarification, if my build sheet reads like this:
S223A
Elektronische Dämpfer Control (EDC) Electronic Damper Control (EDC)
S229A
Dynamic Drive Dynamic Drive
S255A
Sport-Lederlenkrad Airbag Sports leather steering wheel
S2LGA
BMW LM Rad Y-Speiche 315
S2VAA
Adaptive Drive Chassis & suspens. setup"Adaptive Drive"

...then I have "dynamic handling"? If so, I'm liking my used car purchase even more! Also, I'd point out how those options are bought at zero increase in price when buying used.

#19 ·
+1 Very glad we did the 550GT CPO, it is such an amazing beast and there were 535 GT's with more mileage and less goodies anywhere from -3k to +3k from our price, it truly was a no brainer.
However I'm still looking for a definitive answer to the DH verification question. I cannot tell at the moment as the dealer still has ours, but I know we have comfort, normal, sport and sport+ modes. Not sure if we can alter actual drive settings (suspension for example) in any of those modes...if we can does that definitively prove DH? I've also seen others post about comfort+ being with DH package, this mode is not present in ours...is this mode something that was added after MY2010 or does it indicate DH package? I just :dunno:!!

#18 ·
yes I am almost positive that you do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.