BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2011 x5 35d Cargo cover lift shock installation

35K views 82 replies 32 participants last post by  MMMGP 
#1 ·
My 2011 35d came without the lift shock under the cargo cover. So I have to hold it with my hand every time I open it. It is a common miss from BMW, based on many threads here.

Thanks penguin for providing useful information in an early thread. I took the dive and ordered these two parts from a local dealer:

1. Gas pressurized spring, part number 51476980060, $49.58
2. Spring bracket, part number 51479138212, $8.07

When I picked up these parts at the dealer, I found the bracket came in without the screws. So I asked nicely at the dealership and actually got them to put it on for me. It is so straightforward that they did it for free. It took just a few minutes to mount it on.

I attached a few before and after pictures. Note in the before picture, there are holes pre-drilled on the cargo cover for the bracket (red cycle 1). The spring will hook up with bracket and the other end of the spring goes to the pre-existing hook-up (red cycle 2).

The last picture shows now the cover can stand up by itself! what a relief.:)

Still can't believe BMW pre-drilled the holes, then choose not to install the parts.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
If you do a search, someone in an earlier thread had this info, including the part number of the cylinder he used. Or maybe it was on xoutpost. It's in one of those places.

P.S. Found it!

http://www.xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-for...draulic-lift-mechanism-trunk-floor-2010s.html

Message #53

Note that I mail ordered part #4554 for $15 and it was different than described and I could not use it, wasting $15. I ended-up just buying the BMW part for $40. So if you want to try a substitute, I suggest buying locally, so you can return it easily if it has the wrong end on it.

#11 · (Edited)
Autozone # 4554:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/pa...earch&fromType=oem&itemIdentifier=946768_0_0_

Part Number: SG314033
Weight: 0.88 lbs
Warranty: Limited Lifetime
OEM Brand: AMV
Description: Gas-charged lift support
Extended Length: 465 mm.
Compressed Length: 295 mm.
Rod Diameter: 10 mm.
Tube Diameter: 22 mm.
Rod End Fitting: Ball socket
Tube End Fitting: Ball socket
Shipping Information: Overnight and Two Day shipping are not available for PO Box, APO/FPO/DPO or US Territory addresses.
Price: $21.99
Ground(3-5 business days) - $5.20

#16 ·
Cargo lift shock is excellent!

Many thanks to mctavish for the post with photos and parts #s. I just installed a cargo cover lift shock in my X35i and it's great. So much more useful storage when the cargo cover actually stays up on its own after you open it.

It took less than 5 minutes to install and was very easy. Be sure to order the 4 screws needed to hold the bracket (part # 07-12-9-903-027 ISA SCREW), and have a torx T30 screwdriver to install them.

#26 ·
Cargo Cover Lift Support

Can anyone help me with some dimensions for the gas lift support?

Black body diameter 15mm, 19 mm or 22 mm? (I will settle for circumference if you can measure that easier)

Polished shaft diameter 6mm, 8mm or 10mm?

Length of travel: what is the length of the exposed polished shaft in the fully open position.

Thank you very much.

#33 ·
Thanks to everyone who posted info on this. I too was wondering if my 2011 x35d might have come with it but the original owner never installed it. Turns out that it's excluded by default. Looking at page133 in the 2011 Owners Manual, I see that "The floor panel flap can be locked*." and we all know that the "*" means "optional".

Thanks for providing the part numbers. Still can't believe that it's optional. Seriously. I guess we are supposed to use our head -- literally -- as stated above.

#46 ·
07-12-9-903-027 ISA Screw 4x.96 = $3.84
51-47-9-138-212 Bracket 1x12.28 = $12.28
51-47-9149-120 Spring 1x41.26 = $41.26

Plus 5 minutes of my time. Definitely worth it :thumbup:

The holes are pre-drilled and they have the metal inserts that take the screws above. Super easy and straightforward installation. Mine is a 2012 X35d built the 2nd week 1/12. I bought the parts from Evan at getbmwparts.com

#47 ·
As far as the $13.99 Autozone post, others have tried the part number he suggested and the gas spring associated with that part number is too long.

As others have stated, it's a 5 minute job. In fact, once you do it and find out it takes literally a FEW minutes, you'll laugh at how much time you spent thinking about doing it.

#51 ·
I'm living out of Stuttgart and so I get to check out the european spec X5's, and they all come with the shocks installed. I picked my X5d up last week in Munich, and installed the thing in their delivery room while the BMW rep just stood there with his mouth open! I didn't care, I told him "it should have come with this from the factory, don't you think?" to which he replied, "ya, I zink zo". Then I drove out of the building a happy man.

#52 ·
My 2011 35d came without the lift shock under the cargo cover. So I have to hold it with my hand every time I open it. It is a common miss from BMW, based on many threads here.

Thanks penguin for providing useful information in an early thread. I took the dive and ordered these two parts from a local dealer:

1. Gas pressurized spring, part number 51476980060, $49.58
2. Spring bracket, part number 51479138212, $8.07

When I picked up these parts at the dealer, I found the bracket came in without the screws. So I asked nicely at the dealership and actually got them to put it on for me. It is so straightforward that they did it for free. It took just a few minutes to mount it on.

I attached a few before and after pictures. Note in the before picture, there are holes pre-drilled on the cargo cover for the bracket (red cycle 1). The spring will hook up with bracket and the other end of the spring goes to the pre-existing hook-up (red cycle 2).

The last picture shows now the cover can stand up by itself! what a relief.:)

Still can't believe BMW pre-drilled the holes, then choose not to install the parts.
Thanks for the heads-up regarding this item. Just finished the install of the emergency spare tire in my recently acquired 2013 X5.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.