BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bimmerfest E36 Calendar

Tags
:3
90K views 1K replies 48 participants last post by  drivinfaster 
#1 · (Edited)
*********UPDATE********* Fee collection has begun. Click HERE to payment details.

********UPDATE******** A full 50 copies have been requested, so everyone on the waitlist WILL receive a copy. :D

******UPDATE****** Voting is now CLOSED. Payment instructions will follow shortly. Thanks to everyone for participating!

Top 13 winners (most votes to least, from top):

7 (poorboysracing)
11 (cj.surr)
6 (Shigeta)
12 (LOW36)
14 (TRaV MaNN)
1 (kdoherty)
16 (FenderBender)
25 (Los)
21 (Mr Gusta)
4 (B1MM3R)
24 (ZeGerman)
13 (EnserioJose)
18 (SCJon)

****UPDATE**** Voting is now open! Click HERE to vote for your 13 favorite photos.

**UPDATE** All 50 available copies of this calendar have been reserved. The photo submission period has now been closed.

The goal:

To produce a calendar displaying our E36s in the best light possible. We're looking for creative, high-quality photographs which go beyond your garden variety smartphone snapshot taken in your apartment parking lot. They don't have to be "professional" photos, but they should be composed well and taken with quality equipment. Calendar production has been limited to 25 copies.

Who is eligible?

Any member of Bimmerfest who owns an E36 is eligible to submit a photo of his/her car. Since there are many of us, and only 12 months in a year, final photo selection will be conducted by an open vote. All photos received by the submission cutoff date will be entered into the voting pool. The 12 photos which receive the most votes will be selected for the calendar.

How are we going to pay for this project, anyway?

Good question... I've found an online printer which charges $227.5 for 25 8.5x11" calendars (or $450 for 50) with a metal spiral binding and 100# gloss paper, in color. That boils down to about $9.00 per calendar, but there will be additional charges in the form of shipping (both to me (or whomever) from the printer, and then back out again to everyone who wants a copy). I don't anticipate these extra fees to add up to much, however.

With regard to actual collection of the money, I was considering setting up a Kickstarter. That way we can establish a neutral system whereby we set a rigid amount and date, and if those terms are not met, the money gets refunded to everyone. Anyone have a better idea for this?

General rules:

Just the basic, common-sense stuff. Photos submitted must be of your E36, not an E36 owned by another person which you took a photo of. The idea is that we want to feature member cars only. It is acceptable to submit a photo of your E36 which was taken by a person other than yourself, provided you have the written permission of the photographer who owns the copyright. No watermarks or other forms of advertising are permitted. Also, photos must not contain offensive (or potentially offensive) content. Keep it PG... In order to keep things fresh, photos must have been taken during this calendar year, beginning on January 1st to today's date.

Also note that you are not limited to submitting "standard" exterior photos of your E36. Feel free to submit a photo highlighting any aspect of your E36, including the exterior, interior, engine bay, various close-up details, etc.

Where do I submit my photo?

Please submit ONE photo in this thread by December 10th, 2012. Make it a good one! I will compile all photos submitted here to create a voting system at a later date. Once voting has ended, I will contact the winners to get the full resolution original image file to be used for making the calendar. I have not yet determined when the submission deadline is, so we'll just keep it rolling for now. Once we have set the submission deadline, and then reached it, the voting process will begin. This way all photos received by the submission deadline will have the same amount of time to be voted on.

People committed to buying a calendar:

1) crisscross
2) Brad31late
3) EnserioJose
4) FenderBender
5) Kdoherty
6) TheFinanceGuy
7) Poorboysracing
8) drive by72
9) dc_wright
10) miles_trail
11) TnT817
12) hornhospital
13) Dino1394
14) Thee_Antic
15) drivenfaster
16) B1MM3R
17) ZeGerman
18) LOW36
19) cj.surr
20) OrionsGate
21) E36 Phantom
22) TRaV MaNN
23) Mr Gusta
24) Gooby
25) SCJon

Waitlist:
*Names added to waitlist in order of request.

1) jonesin (x2)
2) Njohc
3) TRaV MaNN (second & third copy)
4) OV2310
5) Shigeta
6) JayDizzle92 (x2)
7) southpark11235 (x2)
8) EnserioJose (second copy)
9) E36 Phantom (second copy)
10) FenderBender (second copy)
11) Dino1394
12) SCJon (second copy)
13) B1MM3R (second copy)
14) hornhospital (second and third copy)
15) LOW36 (second copy)
16) petriej
17) Arrow
18) Norcal325
19) Los
20) Mr Gusta (second copy)

Total (including waitlist): 50

See less See more
#1,358 ·
1. I'll guarantee it is my government trying to figure out how to tax me for photographs of friend's cars.

2. This is why I said a few pages ago that it's now a race between us :)

#1,366 ·
I thought US Customs were inefficient, jeez. I've received packages from across the Atlantic quicker than that. :rofl:

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

#1,371 ·
Yeah, they put it in a nice bubble envelope, but no "do not bend" stamps on it. When I took everyone's calendar to the post office, I asked the clerk to put do not bend stamps on each envelope, but she told me "the carriers already know not to bend it, they'll be fine...", which was wrapped up in all sorts of "I'm not stamping every one of these damn envelopes, sucker" body language. So I let it go... Hopefully nobody had any serious issues with theirs.

#1,375 ·
They don't want to put the stickers on because they know it's going to get thrown into the same hopper with everything else, dumped on conveyors, dumped into hoppers, tossed turned, etc. as it goes through the sorting centers between drop off and destination. EVERYTHING goes through one of these at least once, and typically 3-4 times. Same thing happens with stuff they put "Fragile" stickers on. It's all for show for you at the front counter.
Company I used to work for designed and installed most of the equipment at the postal service sorting centers.......

#1,374 ·
I honestly was expecting mine to be bent since we have cluster mail boxes, so I was checking the mail daily to keep it empty. Got lucky and it came on a low mail day, no creases.

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Personal luxury car Rim

Sent from my LG Revolution 4G using BimmerApp

#1,376 ·
I have a mail slot in my door, so thinking ahead, (like I do now and then) I put up a sign that said that I was expecting a calendar and I'd appreciate it not being bent. Then I hung a reusable grocery bag out of my mail slot. Because of the massive snow fall today the mail carrier was kind enough to ring my doorbell and hand it to me instead of leaving it in the bag. And I KNOW the mail man hates my house because my dog ain't so friendly.

Hell, 90% of my mail has her dental records :)

#1,377 · (Edited)
I think it's funny that my first thought of this month's calendar picture was: "oh cool a sunset."

Living on the west coast has been interesting for me. Certain things are ingrained, such as occasionally I will think of towards the ocean as being east, and towards the hills as west.

But sun over water never feels like a sun RISE to me. So the picture of Jon's car in the foreground with the ship and sunrise in the background threw me a little. Gorgeous shot. I just wonder how anyone could get up early enough to take it :D

#1,378 ·
I think it's funny that my first thought of this month's calendar picture was: "oh cool a sunset."

Living on the west coast has been interesting for me. Certain things are ingrained, such as occasionally I will think of towards the ocean as being east, and towards the hills as west.

But sun over water never feels like a sun RISE to me. So the picture of Jon's car in the foreground with the ship and sunrise int he background threw me a little. Gorgeous shot. I just wonder how anyone could get up early enough to take it :D
:rofl::rofl::rofl: It's trickery buddy, the ship (which is the aircraft carrier Yorktown a sister ship of the Hornet in Alameda, CA) is moored in Charleston Harbor and faces north. But the Yorktown obscures the city of Charleston in the background. So that is a sunset! Pic taken about 630PM. :thumbup: Thanks or the compliment!

#1,379 ·
Damn you!

#1,380 ·
Funny, every time I see sun near water my initial thought is a sunset as well. Never even thought about it bring a sunrise for east coasters.

I've toured the Hornet a few times, it's insanely bad ass.

Any errors in this post are purely Swype's fault, not mine.

#1,383 ·
Funny, every time I see sun near water my initial thought is a sunset as well. Never even thought about it bring a sunrise for east coasters.

I've toured the Hornet a few times, it's insanely bad ass.

Any errors in this post are purely Swype's fault, not mine.
I have had the privilege of doing a lot of work for the Yorktown as a museum. I've been a huge Pacific theater history nut since I was a kid. I've done their a lot of their specialized tours for corporate groups. I also wrote and created the route for the ghost tour for the Cub Scouts that camp on it. I do get paid, but it's something I'd love to do as a career. Their current curator is pretty lame. We've had a couple guides get scared out their wits.
The Hornet is an amazing ship too, I have grand plans to tour it if/when I ever get out to the west coast.

#1,384 ·
This month's picture is interesting. I find it fitting that we have a rain/fog laden shot for the month of April. The depth of field is pretty cool, too. The reflection of the lights in the puddles are focused more than the lights themselves.

There's something about a wet E36 that makes me smile.

#1,392 ·
My wife says I should have been a doctor since my cursive handwriting is the SO bad. If it's been a while since I wrote it I can't even read it!. However, my printing reflects my work as a draftsman for several years.
Lettering FTW! They made us practice lettering in my freshman CAD class. It was one of those things that could only be learned with repetition :mad:....

....but somehow I got by with cramming :eeps:

#1,391 ·
My wife says I should have been a doctor since my cursive handwriting is the SO bad. If it's been a while since I wrote it I can't even read it!. However, my printing reflects my work as a draftsman for several years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.