BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

MCS Step

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kaz 
#1 ·
Drove it today. The transmission does suck a little life out of it, but it's still peppy. My butt dyno says it loses about .5 sec over the manual.

The steering wheels paddles are neat-o, and the different shift lever gets some cool points as well. Shift action is every bit as smooth as any BMW step, both up and down shifts are well controlled. Kudos for keeping it a six-speed.

Timing is also perfect, should be just the thing to spice up sales. This move probably triples (maybe quadruples) the market for this car. :thumbup:

That said, I'm sure I'd never own one (along with the majority of folks on this board).

#2 ·
philippek said:
Drove it today. The transmission does suck a little life out of it, but it's still peppy. My butt dyno says it loses about .5 sec over the manual.

The steering wheels paddles are neat-o, and the different shift lever gets some cool points as well. Shift action is every bit as smooth as any BMW step, both up and down shifts are well controlled. Kudos for keeping it a six-speed.

Timing is also perfect, should be just the thing to spice up sales. This move probably triples (maybe quadruples) the market for this car. :thumbup:

That said, I'm sure I'd never own one (along with the majority of folks on this board).
Interesting, when I drove the S you had to really keep it on the boil to move smartly...did you find that to be the case with the step?

Funny thing about MINIs though, seems like lately every one I see is an S driven by an aging baby boomer...and usually female :eeps: (ducks and runs) :D

#3 ·
wingspan said:
Interesting, when I drove the S you had to really keep it on the boil to move smartly...did you find that to be the case with the step?

Funny thing about MINIs though, seems like lately every one I see is an S driven by an aging baby boomer...and usually female :eeps: (ducks and runs) :D
There's a slight delay, like you'll find with just about any slushbox, but it wasn't overt except from a dead stop. The ease of downshifting with the paddles ameliorates the problem pretty well IMO.

And MC and MCS demographics have always been all over the map...although I know what you mean about the appeal to boomers...but I guess they're the only ones who can afford to spend so much on a small car which is short on practicality but long on style.

#4 ·
I just read a bit about this in a UK mag. And you're right, it adds 0.5sec to the 0-60, according to the article. I read elsewhere that it's an Aisin tranny (a first for BMW, I believe) shared with some VAG products.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.