BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Sound System Improvement Stage One

309K views 432 replies 96 participants last post by  Mic10is 
#1 ·
I have been asked on numerous occasions about stereo equipment for the X3 since I have installed them in two separate X3's (07 and 08) and helped dozens of others including some dealerships.

Stereo installations can be done in stages just like performance or handling enhancements can be done in most vehicles until the desired impact is achieved. This helps to not only spread out the cost, but keep it to a minimum.

At the end of this whole series I will post some pics and "DIY" instructions.

For those that are new to the forum my recommendation come from over 35 years in the music industry as well as 20 years as a radio broadcast engineer with such big radio station names as DC 101 where Howard Stern started, and doing sound for a number of popular bands or groups.

Please bear in mind with my experience and even more --- these are only suggestions since the human ear is the most perfectly diverse piece of audio test equipment available and what sounds good to me might sound like (expletive) to you :).

This will be done in five stages:

Since there are so many different variations I will make suggestions in what I consider to be each stage of improving your X3's basic business sound system. IF you have the higher grade sound system, you are probably content and don't need my meddling.

First (Stage One): Speakers

speakers like tires can be an easy change but make a world of difference. I will not go into the full details of what specs are what, but only recommend ones I know will fit and have the proper electrical acceptability to the OEM sound system. Prices are approximate and taken from Crutchfield as it is an easy link and has good descriptions.

Alpine SPS-400 $70 all around good sound most popular http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SPS400/Alpine-SPS-400.html?tp=102&tab=features_and_specs

Infinity Reference Series $130 favors the brighter side of music if your hearing is dulling these will certainly let you hear the sound of Santana as well as the violins of Tchaikovsky. Will also take more power if and amp is later added. http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_108429I/Infinity-Kappa-42-9i.html?tp=102

Focals 100 VRS $600 not cheap. This is really pushing it. I won't spend this kind of money, but if you have it and are serious about sound these are the best that will fit in your X3. Please be advised that they will never sound great with out additional power, like an external amp. http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_091100VRS/Focal-Polyglass-100-VRS.html?tp=102

Stage Two will be HU and external components that allow you to keep your HU but add other equipment. As there are a number of new things out (that even I have my eye on) I want to do more research before I post this. Plus too much will bore you to death.

Hope this helps,

EE:thumbup: Please PM questions (for greater detail) with regard to each stage as posted

See less See more
Reactions: Adolfo_e83
#240 ·
An update to my Alpine PXE-650 equalizer adventures.

Before and after frequency spectrum after MultiEq equalization using the 650.

To summarize: EarthQuake SWS-8X 8 inch under the seats and Alpine SPS-410 4 inch in all doors with 400 Hz crossover between the two (set in the PXE not the amp). But rear doors effectively turned off using the HU fader. Door and under seat speakers driven by Pioneer GM-D9500F 4 channel amp. "A" channel running the door SPS-410 at default gain, "B" channel running the under seat earthquake at maximum gain.
Bass boost selected in the 650 then flat midrange and top end. Might be a bit over done in bass now.

Funny, I was sooo careful in speaker polarity in the re-wiring. The PXE detected out of phase speakers during the eq sequence - sure enough the 8 inch mid-subs were out of phase. Sheesh.

Chasing a brief power on screech (at low volume so bearable) with ignition turn on. Seems a common issue with the PXE though. Not defeated yet.

#241 ·
That is essentially the same set up I have but added a Boston Acoustics 10 low profile for extreme lows. fun playing with that Alpine EQ once you get the software working.

#251 ·
Very Cool!

Two fer two on stickies. And a Full Assist on the Tranny!

Funny five years ago when I proposed changing out the sound system on the X3 I actually got the equivalent of hate mail via pm and called just about every name in the book.

Now its a sticky for helping others. Very Cool.

There are some excellent contributors here to...Thanks guys for making this what it is meant to be:

Helping BMW owners overcome obstacles to a better vehicle :thumbup::thumbup:

#252 ·
I managed to source a new pair of Morel Dotech Ovation Crossovers (to suit Morel's 4", 5" & 6" Splits) - to replace my budged Focal Polyglass Crossovers.
The Focal Crossovers had always made my Hertz components sound VERY mid range focussed & it sounded like a loud clock radio with some vocals...:thumbdwn:
These new Morel's have totally transformed how these speakers reproduce their frequencies & I can't stop giggling with how good it sounds! :bigpimp:
If anyone wants a slightly more complicated speaker upgrade, then a pair of Hertz EM100 midranges, ET20 Tweeters and some suitable quality crossovers will give you a fantastic 'European' sound!
With a little more tweaking of my Alpine Head Unit's EQ, I reckon I'll try entering in my local Sound Quality (SQ) car audio competitions - to see how she fares! :thumbup:

#255 ·
Ok here is the diagram I used for my speaker install in my 2007, with std 8 speaker sound:

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/svg/sp/SP0000025330.svg?m=e8385

RADRV is not the color code for wiring. On the front right for example, BL/RT is Positive and BL/BR is Negative.

BMW abbreviates the wiring colors in German as follows:

BL = Blue
BR = Brown
GE = Yellow
GN = Green
GR = Grey
RT = Red
SW = Black
WS = White
VI = Violet

Hope that helps.

#259 ·
The depth is correct. And the magnet diameter visually looks right. I still would go with the Alpines for about $15 more a pair if you haven't already purchased the pioneers. The Boston Acoustic although not as efficient will give a warmer texture as a nice alternative.

As a caveat though, i can take ten people with the same speakers and same source material and almost all will say something different.

Do you need a walkthrough on the installation?

#261 ·
Im on a pretty tight budget but i love music and been wanting to upgrade my sound system for a while. My first question is that, if i throw in about $400 into a new HU, speakers, and a sub, will there really be THAT much of an improvement? i know its sort of an opinion question but i just want to now if its really worth it if i dont have the coin.

#262 ·
yes and no. Dont do it all at once. It may cost more, but if you spread it out over a little time it will be a better job for many reasons. You can improve the budget, time gives you the advantage of critquing your own sound instead of rushing into a project, and technology changes fast. Given the same vehicle knowing what i know now I would not change the H/U but put a sound processor in its place giving me more sound control for cheaper and keeping the original H/U and prying eyes and fingers out of my car.

Start with changing the speakers. It is akin to changing tires. It wont seem that much a difference at first, but you will notice it. then go to a sound processor and amp. I think I have a spare amp you can have. I am moving to a new house (finally)and cleaning out the cupboard again so to speak. PM me as I tend to be absent minded. Audio Control puts out a neat little line processor that looks very versatile and not too costly: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8168_AudioControl-LC6i-WHITE-LC6.html?from=20 $150.00

Marry that with speakers: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34379_Alpine-SPS-410.html $50.00 a pair

And you are still left with $200 for a nice Sub and Amp. Yes it can be done for $400. I would stretch it to $500 for a better Amp as more clean power will give you less problems as heat and distortion kills a sound system.

Let me know what you think. I am in the middle of moving so a lot going on. If you can wait I will diagram it out for you. If not I can still help with the gear and a possible amp. i just have to remember where I put it :rofl:.

Cheers,

EE

ps thanks PSUEng for kibbits. I'd rather someone get the right info, then be right. Let's all put our collabarative exp together and get NFX a good, better, best suggestion on his sound system and budget.

#267 ·
It seems clear that replacing the door speakers will result in a substantial improvement in the X3 sound system. Has anyone also replaced the under-seat woofers with the Earthquake SWS-8Xi 2 ohm units, retaining the stock amp? Earthquake makes the 2 ohm units as a direct replacement - I'm wondering how much a difference they would make by themselves. Thanks, Robert.

#271 · (Edited)
Correct. Business cd in Aus is dumbed down. No amps separate to hu.

Update. Can work it out here

http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/e8385/Complete_vehicle/body/Audio,_video_and_navigation/Sound_output/

#272 ·
Hi folks, after much delibration I have decided to keep my 2005 X3 as my year around vehicle. As a result I am want to do some mods and with the limitations ( I use that word lightly..) the stock stereo needs to go. The instructions in this post are EXCELLENT , especially from Evlengr! How about some pics of the HU?? There are pics of everything else!

Thx!
Marven

#273 · (Edited)
Will do...I though I had posted them, but I tend to be an absent minded type. I have two installs of my own to share. The first was the Pioneer (2007), the second (2008) and the third TBD as I may go to the other side and order an S4 this November if Dinan doesnt deliver a chip for the N55 (and looks like BMW is going to short us on an actual M class X3). Sorry Scotty but I need more power.

Thanks for the kind words. I have to find some time to do the wiring layout and want to show how to construct a harness for plug and play set ups.

#275 · (Edited)
Not That hard--Really

Disconnect battery!!!!!!! I dont give a crap what they say. I disconnect the red (+). If you disconnect the ground and grab a point that is hot you become ground potential and take the hit. I don't know why some people insist on removing the ground and leaving the hot connected. Makes no sense at all. To those who disagree..grab the hot and stand in some water and then talk to me, if you can.

I did not disconnect the wire for the air bag when I pulled the door panel off. Just make sure you have "Torx" screw-drivers (or bits), a nylon type pry bar (start on the bottom inside portion of the wood overlay). There are more directions in this thread but they are most important. (And don't pierce /tear the vapor barrier).

#276 ·
and have a cable tie ready to secure the airbag module to the door frame when it is unbolted ;-)

then you will not drop it.

#280 ·
no Worries

I know you are concerned, but you sweating this wayyyyy too much. BMW has everyone so afraid to make any changes its amazing.

Wish you were close by. I can have a pair of speakers in and out of an X3 in 30 minutes. It really is that easy.

Read the info we have provided. Get all necessary tools and connectors. Don't rush anything as this is the first time you have done it.

Key things to remember:

Torx screwdrivers
Nylon or Glass based pry tools (start from inside bottom wood veneer)
Don't tear the vapor barrier. pretty hard to do unless you are spaz..but it happens.
Once you get the tabs free on the door pull from bottom section and then straight out. Replace from top and then push straight on...the whole panel at once.
I like to place a light colored mat (I use a clean white drop cloth) under the door when it is open in case any little tabs or screws fall.

No coding will be lost. The 4x4 and airbag light WILL come on the first time you start your X3. It typically clears itself after about 15-20 or the next time you restart your X3.

#279 ·
Recently bought a Response Monoblock to try get a little more out of this Rainbow Hammer 10".
It sounds noticable better, but the cabin size of the X3, coupled with the small woofer & enclosure are just too much for it...
I think it's time to go for a 12" Hertz HX300, also in a small 1 cu ft sealed enclosure.
I'll update you guys when I get it built & installed. :thumbup:

Attachments

#282 ·
Sent you a PM Murderland

#283 · (Edited)
Great Price

Just a heads up.

This company (Pacific Stereo) has the Alpine SPS-400 on sale for $44.95 a pair. Last years model ,but still a great speaker (that fits very well in our X3's).

http://pacificstereo.com/brands/alpine/alpine-car-audio/alpine-car-speakers.html

And my favorite amp as well.

This is an unreal price ($375.00) for a phenomenal amp. It is extremely small, a class D amp (stays very cool), specs are great. This is my must have recommendation for an easy but excellent install for our X3. One amp can deliver sound to all four doors and has a mono for the subs. Can't make it any easier for us.

http://pacificstereo.com/car-audio/car-amplifiers/5-channel-amplifiers/alpine-pdx-5.html

Cheers, EE

#284 ·
I've been following the posts in this great sticky on improving the x3 sound system. I've upgraded four doors' speakers to Alpine 410 since then, what a big improvement!

Now I'm comtemplating to add a 5-channel amp to power the door speakers and a 10" sub in the back. I'd like to get a reverse harness connector to bypass the factory amp without cutting/tapping the original wiring. Where can I find such a connector?

Thanks!

#285 ·
I'd like to get a reverse harness connector to bypass the factory amp without cutting/tapping the original wiring. Where can I find such a connector?

Thanks!
I'd like to know was well. Unfortunately, I'm not hopeful something like that is available. If you could manage to get the connector part number--as in the Tyco/Amp part number of the amp side of the connector, I'm sure you could find it on the internet. They are off the shelf parts and probably readily available and you could build your own harness.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.