BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Neutral

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  gfeiner 
#1 ·
Can you use Neutral only with the ignition ON and not the engine ON?

#2 · (Edited)
I believe as long as your battery is not dead, you can put the car into neutral by turning on the electrical accessory mode and then the following:

1: Push the lever twice in to N
2: Push the lever to N and hold for 5 seconds
3: Transmission is now disengaged for 15 minutes after which it will re-lock itself.

I have not try this myself.

#3 ·
Does anyone really like the electronic nature of the shifter? I have not orderd my X3 yet, but on my test drive(s) it drove both me and my wife nuts. Seems like it is something having been developed that no one really asked for.
Un-needed gadgetry IMHO. Someone educate me.........

#4 ·
Most cars have electronic shifters now, even the one that looks like a traditional shifter. There is no longer a mechanical link from the shifter to the transmission, just a bunch of switches and relays. BMW should post some kind of shifter override procedure for towing. From what I understand, if the battery dies in your BMW, you need to take off the cover under the engine bay and unlock some kind of mechanical latch to get the car into neutral. Even the dealer and BMW road side assistant do not have information on this procedure.

#5 ·
Yes, page 183 of the 2013 X3 Owners' Manual (available online). Car wash procedure.

The X Men is correct. With engine on, set to "N", turn off engine (push On/Off one time). Transmission will move to "P" automatically after 15 minutes.

#9 ·
According to a training manual posted on another X3 site, there are two modes of emergency transmission release (releasing from Park and into Neutral): electronic and manual.

Electronic (procedure valid if car cranks but does not start)
  1. Press start/stop, starter cranks and then stops
  2. Depress shifter release button on side of shifter
  3. Move shifter forward one notch and hold for exactly two seconds
  4. Release the shifter
  5. Move the shifter forward one notch
  6. Display shuld read "N"
Will remain in "N" for fifteen minutes (e.g., sufficent to load on flatbed tow truck). The documents say the vehicle must only be maneuvered and not towed.

Manual
  1. Raise vehicle and remove underbody panel
  2. Locate screw on transmission housing body that engages manual park release lever
  3. Screw the screw in all the way to engage the lever and release transmission from Park
The documents say that either procedure must only be performed by trained service personnel. The training document has a picture of the screw and the lever.

#10 · (Edited)
Those are the two procedure I am familar with as well. Have anyone actually tried any of these procedure before? There are so many variations of the 1st procedure online, I am not sure which one actually works. The 1st procedure is great if the car still have electrical power, but if the battery dead, how do I get a BMW tech to release my transmsiion and put it on a tow truck. I know for a fact that the tow truck driver and the lady on the other end of BMW road side assist do not know anything about the 2nd procedure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.