BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I Bought My First BMW Because.......

4K views 46 replies 34 participants last post by  Andy6027 
#1 ·
This thread is just for fun. The question is "why did you buy your first BMW?". (Maybe this will remind us all what it is/was about the car that made us want to buy it). I'll go first.

When we were looking (finally!!) for a second car, I didn't know much about BMW beyond the name. After I looked at resale values, I saw that it really held it's value and from what I had read at the time (2006`ish) it was safe, small and a car that my kids could drive but that I wouldn't mind driving either. Our first one was silver, a 2005 325X and had low mileage already on it. Having said that, we're into our third BMW and neither kid drives. But....I sill love it.

#40 ·
in 1995, all except BMW was charging extra for tape cassette, heated etc. Full Honda Accord was about same price of 320i. Other car dealership in NJ while annoying and pushing, BMW CAs were explaining lease & finance deals with their HP19+ finance calculators. Remember no internet, you had to physically shop around.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#44 ·
My 04TSX was getting long in the tooth and I needed something to replace it with. I cross shopped the 3 series before but the back seats were tiny. I needed more room for my aging parents. The new F30 was the best combination of performance, comfort, sophistication, and fuel economy that I could find and, after Euro delivery, surprisingly affordable. One year later it still brings a big grin to my face every time I drive it.

#45 ·
This thread is just for fun. The question is "why did you buy your first BMW?". .
Because my '99 Benz was in the shop with a failed crankshaft dampener at 38,000 miles. I had had enough.

I had driven my mom's 2002 in college, as well as the 320i she bought. Loved those cars.

So I started looking for a used E46 323 or 328; but didn't find a lot with a 5MT.

Stopped at the dealer one day, and this gleaming 2003 Silver Gray 330i rolled off the truck. It had bangin' wheels, and after the test drive, I was hooked. Had a bit more pep than a standard 330i. Some new option package called 'ZHP'. :bigpimp:

#46 ·
Well besides my alias giving it away I just bought myself a 2014 328 sport line 6MT.

I've been waiting for this purchase for quite sometime and realizing that i would probably spend as much money if not more on a used vehicle after i factored in having to purchase winter tires. 6MT was a no brainer for me and I went to numerous dealers Infiniti, Audi etc and no one had a 6MT for me to test drive. I thought how could someone come in drop that much money without test driving the car.

Lastly for me I feel now that I got the car I wanted that I've officially made it (although there are a lot more things to accomplish)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#47 · (Edited)
Like the others here, I wanted something comfortable, fuel-efficient, and fun to drive. Safety was a particularly big factor for me. I used to be able to ride my bicycle to my old job, but my new job required me to commute longer distances on highways, which I was not accustomed to, and I live in Canada so that means dealing with winter weather too. I thought it would be nice to have all wheel drive. I also was attracted to some of the new safety technologies that I was reading about, particularly blind spot detection, and lane departure warning. I really didn't want to buy a luxury car, especially not a BMW (too trendy and too expensive), but there are not too many smaller vehicles that can be had with all of these features combined, and BMW was one of the few. The others on my shortlist were the A4 and the Ford Fusion. I liked the Ford Fusion, but it was too new and seemed too ambitious with all those electronics, so I just didn't trust its reliability. I really wanted to like the Audi, $5000 cheaper than the BMW and more understated, but I just wasn't impressed with it. The suspension was too harsh, and the acceleration too weak. To my dismay, I loved the BMW when I test drove it and that was the one I had to have. 2200 miles later, it still serves my needs very well. I still sometimes ask myself whether it was really worth it to get a luxury car, but I have to say I am becoming very accustomed to having 240 hp, feels so much safer for passing and making quick lane changes and getting away from swervy trucks and dangerous drivers, and so solid it never feels like I'm going as fast as I am, don't know if I could ever go back to having less power. Also, I just love the way everything works so flawlessly and nicely. By the way, I too had a Volkswagen Jetta in the past, which I was very fond of, and this reminds me of it, though of course it is a few steps up in terms of power and luxury.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.