BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Winter driving

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  captainaudio 
#1 · (Edited)
At the risk of sounding like a 12 years old troll trolling from his grandma's basement ... this morning driving was EPIC! Truly. I'm placing this thread here because no BMW was involved with this morning's driving, just a plain Golf TDI :D

Snow came down last night (Friday night), the crews hardly cleaned 1st priority roads and this morning most of the 3rd or 4th level roads were absolutely untouched by plows or salt. Just packed snow and ice. A-W-E-S-O-M-E!

There is this place on that road where you have to stand on the brakes (on dry) because after the crest is just plunges down (like a mini Corkscrew corner) for which you must be on throttle to keep rear end in check and at the bottom of it is an insidious left-hander where you need to kiss guardrail to apex correctly. That's in the dry. Now, with unplowed snow, I swear that, going down the "Corkscrew", if you lifted 1 mm (0.04") on a throttle, rear end was going to go around you and 2 mm would have made you go straight into guardrail with your rear end. Man! I don't remember ever having this much fun without resorting to "Chemistry for better living" methods :)

Here are two pics so you can see lay of the land and quality of the snow on the road. I didn't stop on a "Corkscrew" or other corners with elevation changes because ... well, because I was having too much fun going through them to stop for a picture :) I wonder how long it will be before another perfect storm hits and I get to drive on unplowed roads after 10 AM ...

EDIT: sorry for crappy cell phone pics, I didn't think it was going to be like this when I left home so I didn't have a camera with me.

Snow Winter Freezing Tree Automotive tire

Snow Winter Sky Freezing Tree

See less See more
#2 ·
This thread is worthless without Go Pro.

#3 · (Edited)
There are times when I wish I lived in Russia. This is one of those times. No, not because of snow, but the obligatory GoPro :p

#4 ·
Nice pics.

I've driven my ZHP on roads like that (minus the corkscrew) for hours this winter, we've had so much snow in Mass.

Just yesterday I drove home on back roads for over an hour, with a few big hairy drifts on tight uphill or downhill corners. It's a total blast, the car is so communicative you can feel every little slip - it's intense and fun. The Conti WinterExtremes are amazing.

Car only needs an LSD.

#7 ·
It's a total blast, the car is so communicative you can feel every little slip - it's intense and fun.
Intense is right word. I was actually quite literally laughing out loud while completely alone in the car. Seriously, anything better would require "Better living through chemistry". :)

Or even better a GoPro mounted on a drone.
Ha ha. Keep poking where it hurts ...

;)

I love driving in the winter.
Amendment : I love driving in the winter when all the knuckleheads are too scared to leave their driveway and roads are quite literally empty. :)

#8 ·
I had a similar feeling driving Lime Rock in the rain - you get the intense, involving feeling of car control at lower speeds, feeling every little slip and wiggle of the rear end. :thumbup:

I used to hope for rain on track days.

#9 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.