BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

ED Communication and NAV

971 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  sno_duc 
#1 ·
May 6 is the pickup date for our 8 day delivery of a 435 convertible. Travel will be down to northern Italy and drop off in Nice, France.

We will have a Verizon iPhone 5S and iPad Mini Retina with cell data.

NAV on the 435 will be loaded with USA maps so is unusable correct? So would the Mini be a good NAV alternative? Do we need a SIM card replacement?

For iPhone voice use (emergency only use) would a replacement SIM be good or just a temp Verizon international plan?

#4 ·
I activated international plan last month so I could call hotels for our June ED to see about parking. Verizon rep told me it was good to use in Europe while we are there. I am going to call later this month to double check. The minutes were not cheap, but it will work for emergency or business.

#7 ·
Another option for calling hotels from the states I use (to give cc number and confer on parking, etc.) is the Skype app on my iPad. It isn't free when calling a European land line, but if you call when connected to wi-fi, it is close to it. I also use this when overseas for making calls back home from the hotel, if I have wi-fi. It is a cheap and easy way to stay in touch and minimizes, but does not eliminate the need for a cell plan there.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#5 ·
Use Verizon all the time in Europe, set it up for the month you are there and cancel when back. Not cheap, but affordable, if you do not overuse it. Stick to WiFi in hotels for data usage, and you will be OK.

#8 ·
The first time you enter a address, it will take ~ 10minutes. (assuming you're new to I-drive)
By the end of your trip, under a minute.
While the wife was engaged in her morning ritual, I would go down to the car and input that days addresses.

Hint, use postal codes, saves a lot of time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.