BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

muffler delete complete

2K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  greGDiesel 
#1 ·
I will post the video/sound clip as soon as I can host it somewhere, but my initial question is - I did not immediately plug the hose going to the stock mufflers with a golf tee and right at start up have a warning symbol on the dash. Will this go away after I plug the hose or do I have to reset it somehow?

Burger tune and new charge pipe scheduled to arrive tomorrow and hope to install on Saturday.

#2 ·
The butterfly valve in the exhaust will not throw a SES light.

It stores a shadow fault in the DME that does not illuminate the SES light.

Something else is causing the light. Scan the DME for faults.

#5 ·
Great growl -- do you have any rasp? Oh yeah, lose the ///M badge!

#16 ·
Why people do this is beyond me.... Engineers spend hundreds of hours designing these factory exhaust systems to work well, and people just cut the mufflers off...... It doesn't even sound good IMO. A true tuned exhaust is the only way to go.

#19 ·
Now that the JB4 is on I truly enjoy the exhaust. I should also point out this is not my daily driver - if I had to use this car for long trips the sound at cruise may get to me eventually but for now I'm happy.

#22 ·
Did the JB4 change the sound at all?
Also , is the JB4 any rougher than stock? I have heard that acceleration is not as smooth as stock. Maybe under light throttle.

Sweet ride!
Thanks, it seems to idle smoother than before the tune. And yes the exhaust note is improved - I launched it with traction control off in a parking lot for my friend with the M4 and he agreed it sounds pretty mean.

If I keep the car long term I will do a catless dp and some rear sport mufflers but for now it sounds great and I love my titanium tips (will post pic)

#25 · (Edited)
This picture shows how much cleaner and better the car looks without the ///M badge. By the way, what does Msport mean in your description?

#24 ·
I guess NC does not have annual state inspections? Your car would not pass inspection in PA.

The best sounding exhaust on a BMW, IMO, is the one the factory put on the 335is. Yours sounds more like a boat with outboard motors that I had when it was stored on dry land and the mechanic was working on the engines. We would hook up a water hose to the water intakes for cooling, but with the exhaust not under water, it sounded like yours does now.

I think it's great that your enjoying your car. Personally though, I would remove the ///M badge ASAP. It would look so much better without it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.