BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Are they on crack....Dealer windshield quote

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Pilgrim 
#1 ·
Need a windshield, I have glass coverage through my insurance with a $50 deductible. But they use Safelite, which I have heard horror stories about. I called my agent and he said I can use who I want as long as it is comparable in price and gets approved.

Call Safelite and get a quote for $849. Call the dealership and get a parts price for the glass $4-- (forget what he said exactly) Call back and get service dept for a quote to install.

Here is where is goes funny.

51-31-7-164-816 WINDSHIELD (VIN SPECIFIC) $434.76

51-31-7-061-967 UPPER MOLDING $34.82

51-317-133-292 LOWER MOLDING $28.88

64-11-6-928-326 CONDENSATION SENSOR $202.71

61-35-9-224-853 RAIN AND LIGHT SENSOR $296.89

83-19-2-289-180 INSTALLATION KIT $150.65

LABOR $1040.00

TAX $153.21

----------------------------------------------------------------------

TOTAL $2341.92

How does is cost $2000 to install a $400 piece of glass. I really want to know why it takes 7.4 hrs and I need to replace two sensors while I am at it.

I think it is time to stop in and have a chat with the gen manager of the dealership. (who I happen to know through a friend)

Do people really just pay these without questioning it?

See less See more
#2 ·
Call Safe lite back and tell you them you need a windshield, and would like to pay cash, and avoided using your glass insurance. It will cost you less than $400.00

#5 ·
Eh, the price and parts is about right for a "dealer" to do.

The difference you're seeing is that when you replace the glass through a glass company, or in your case, someone you know... You get the glass replaced and they reuse all the other components.

The dealership will get you a brand new moulding. (The moulding would be ripped out and thrown away and replaced with new)
Likely, the sensor(s) that's attached to the rear view mirror will also be replaced, as that's attached to the glass as well.

So that's where you are at with the cost discrepancy.

Replacing everything new guarantees to the dealer that you won't be going through a carwash and finding that the moulding split somewhere or didn't seal properly and start raining water down in through your dash and into your car. A good glass company should replace just the glass and still insure all that won't happen, but by now, you should get the drift.

#7 ·
Eh, the price and parts is about right for a "dealer" to do.

The difference you're seeing is that when you replace the glass through a glass company, or in your case, someone you know... You get the glass replaced and they reuse all the other components.

The dealership will get you a brand new moulding. (The moulding would be ripped out and thrown away and replaced with new)
Likely, the sensor(s) that's attached to the rear view mirror will also be replaced, as that's attached to the glass as well.

So that's where you are at with the cost discrepancy.

Replacing everything new guarantees to the dealer that you won't be going through a carwash and finding that the moulding split somewhere or didn't seal properly and start raining water down in through your dash and into your car. A good glass company should replace just the glass and still insure all that won't happen, but by now, you should get the drift.
there's your answer

#8 · (Edited)
At a guess, they're assuming they will need to replace both sensors, and are then summing the rate book hours for all the tasks, even though many of the hours are already accounted for in one of the other tasks.

Say the rate book lists takes 2 hours to replace the windshield. The book may also list 2.5 hours to replace the condensation sensor, since you need to take the windshield off to do so (2 hours for that task). Ditto on the rain sensor, perhaps 2.5 hours to replace, because it too includes pulling the windshield. Add them all up, throw in 0.4 hours to replace the molding, and you're at your 7.4 hour figure, because you've counted the 2 hours to pull / place the windshield 3 times.

I'm not saying they did that, but I have seen something similar on a quote to me from a "rate book only" dealer.

Call the manager. I did so when I got a quote to do a fluid change on my rear differential for $800. The guy writing the quote saw there wasn't a drain plug, so he quoted a cost to pull the whole cover and seal system apart. When I spoke to them, someone went out and asked the tech what he would do (pull the fill plug, pump the old fluid out, put new fluid in: 30 minutes tops), and re-wrote it for around $100.

#9 ·
We have a guy who can install an OEM windshield with the comfort strip for about $600.

Anything less, you're getting aftermarket glass. (Unless your paying jobber prices)

#10 · (Edited)
I just had my windshield replaced on two vehicles. The '08 Chevy Tahoe cost a total of $489 replaced by the dealer's authorized installer using OE windshield. My '12 Porsche Carerra GTS convertible cost a total of $1,183 using an OE windshield..

I have State Farm auto insurance which does not have no cost/low cost windshield replacement programs like some other insurance companies do, at least not in PA. My comprehensive deductible is $500 so I paid for the Tahoe windshield out-of-pocket.

I called the Porsche dealer to get a quote to replace the windshield. The price was $1,183 using an OE windshield and would be installed by their Porsche authorized installer. I scheduled my car for this service for last week. I then called State Farm and they put me through to someone to talk about their windshield replacement policies. He said that I needed to go through Safelight, and if not, my dealer would have to use an aftermarket windshield and only charge $30 per hour for the service. I told him that my Chevy dealer even charges over $100 per hour for service, so their request is ridiculous. I also said I was not going to let the Safelight hacks (bad experience before) touch my Porsche and I was certainly not going to install anything but an OE windshield. I hung up after saying I was going to drop State Farm after being with them since 1983 and pay for the windshield myself if need be.

Well, I get a call two days later saying State Farm agreed to have my windshield replaced at the Porsche dealer using an OE windshield that the Porsche dealer ordered for my car. I would just have to pay the $500 deductible.

I discussed this with my Porsche Service Advisor, and he said that if he had known I was going through State Farm, they would not have been interested in being involved. The person State Farm put me in contact with was a third party administrator that deals with windshield replacements for State Farm. He thinks because I told them I was going to drop State Farm, that my request then goes back to State Farm for them to try and take care of the situation. In this case, State Farm decided to cover my replacement through the Porsche dealer.

Both windshield replacements on my cars came out great using authorized installers and OE parts.

#11 ·
I called all around the area, even got some input on local folk over who the good reputable ones are. (So, I'm sure you know who yours are in your area)

I found one that sourced the glass I wanted (even got the comfort strip that my car didn't originally have) and he reused all the parts, moulding, sensors, etc. It's been 2 years since the replacement and no leaks, no drips, everything still works as normal. I did it outside of the insurance and just paid him something like $2-250 cash.

#13 ·
Used Safelite on a Toyota Camry I owned in the past. The technician was very careful, experienced and thorough.

I watched him do it in my driveway. I was very impressed and the windshield, although not OEM, was identical in appearance to the one being replaced.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

#14 ·
I understand how labor rates get tacked on, but that does not make it right. End of the day that is a ridiculous quote.

I own/operate a small garage which is why I have a glass guy, and know that is does not take that long to replace a windshield. I do not mind them adding in the install kits, that is logical.

If a sensor can be changed wo replacing the windshield then it can be reused. There is nothing wrong with them, to charge for them is just theft imo.

#16 ·
I understand how labor rates get tacked on, but that does not make it right. End of the day that is a ridiculous quote.

I own/operate a small garage which is why I have a glass guy, and know that is does not take that long to replace a windshield. I do not mind them adding in the install kits, that is logical.

If a sensor can be changed wo replacing the windshield then it can be reused. There is nothing wrong with them, to charge for them is just theft imo.
1+ here, that's why most people call them stealdealer.

#18 ·
For what its worth, Safelite replaced the windshield on my 328i. I also had them fix a chip in the windshield on my F150. Both jobs were done perfectly. I scrutinized the car for any imperfections after it was done. And, believe me, I can be critical. There were none.

#19 ·
It all depends on which store and who is doing the job. You were fortunate. I was not so much.

#20 ·
I don't doubt you at all, Beden1. And I agree that you pay your money and you takes your chances. But, DozerDan began this thread by characterizing Safelite in a consistently negative light. As evidenced by some posts, a number of us have had positive experiences. So, its not always bad. And, we've all read of horror stories folks have had at BMW dealers, too. So, it seems to me, paying the premium price to have your windshield replaced at your BMW dealer isn't going to increase the probability that you will get a quality job.

BTW, I have no connection to Safelite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.