BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

No nav in a 65k 435i convertible

5K views 80 replies 43 participants last post by  Gary J 
#1 ·
We are close to buying a 435i convertible but just realized somehow missed the fact that the car we wanted - a 65k convertible with msport, premium, cold weather, drivers assistance, etc, didnt have navigation!! I understand now that u would need tech package or add stand alone nav..This would push the car up to 67-68k. Is nav a deal breaker for many of you?? How is the car without nav?

#2 ·
IMO no nav, no car. That because without the nav you miss out on lots of tech features. You get a smaller and less functional display as well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#3 ·
I wouldn't buy without Nav

No doubt the BMW nav is a nice feature. Whether or not it's worth $2K more than a Garmin from Costco would be a personal choice.

Garmin = lifetime free map updates
BMW = $50 to $300 a year for map updates

You really gotta love it to opt for the BMW nav. Personally, I wouldn't buy a BMW without it.

:)

#18 ·
The "non-nav" interface in our car is embarrassing. I can (and have) gone on about it. I would trade it for an old business radio...and a steering wheel with a channel up/down button in heartbeat. You're right, BMW should be ashamed.

#8 ·
At some point nav has to become a standard feature. Bmw's business model is to charge extra for premium features. $65k without nav or heated seats or keyless entry is just not impressive anymore. I will pay a premium for performance or cutting edge technology. 8 year old navigation isn't cutting edge anymore.

#44 ·
At some point nav has to become a standard feature. Bmw's business model is to charge extra for premium features. $65k without nav or heated seats or keyless entry is just not impressive anymore. I will pay a premium for performance or cutting edge technology. 8 year old navigation isn't cutting edge anymore.

Not sure what you mean but the nav in my 435 is nothing like the one in my old 2011 335is or 2013 135is.

#12 ·
I would buy a $23,589 Honda Civic Si with navigation. I'd expect the navi to work after 10 years. I'd expect everything electrical to work on a Honda after 10 years, except maybe for a couple of light bulbs.

I would avoid buying the optional navigation system a BMW. The reason is that by the time I'd sell that BMW, based on prior experiences with BMW electrical systems, there is a fair risk that the navi would have become a lifeless, dark screen in the middle of the dashboard.

There is a minimal extra trade in value to a working navigation system on a 10 year old car, but there is a maximal cost for a broken navigation system.

Easier and cheaper to toss a $100 Garmin in the recycling bin when it breaks. (What else is a BMW E9x cup holder good for? I haven't found any other use for it.)

#14 ·
My 14 year old 2002 e46 has factory nav and it still works just fine. I updated the CD's (yes - CD's not even a DVD!) in 2011 and it still more or less gets me where I want to go. It occasionally can't find a satellite and has me driving through Puget Sound, but given its age, I make allowances.

Good luck finding an Si with NAV - those are rare!

#13 ·
I wasn't even aware the screen size differs in the 4 series depending on whether it is equipped with or without nav. I wasn't going to add the tech package but looks like I will for the larger screen. Hope my car didn't start production yet!

#19 ·
The non navi screen in drives me nuts. It would be a deal breaker for me.

#23 · (Edited)
Don't care for BMW nav, it's not that great anyways. We just use our phones. The extra tech features are nice, but $2k???? Nah, would rather put it into something else. I'm into these cars for how they drive and put a smile on my face, not for tech features. I've had my new phone for 6 months now and still haven't even connected it on the bluetooth in my car. We always use phones for navigation and traffic on trips anyways. Much faster and easier. My co-pilot is pretty hot too! :) That car is about how I'd order one. I'd get it!

#27 ·
435i for $65K w/o navi? How does BMW get away with this?

Do you really want to drive around in a $65K BMW w/o navi? You could if you don't care about what others would say or how your dash would look or if you don't mind using your phone or Garmin.

If you drive to new places a lot and don't want to mess around with a phone or Garmin then get the navi.

Good luck in making your choice.

#30 ·
435i for $65K w/o navi? How does BMW get away with this?

Do you really want to drive around in a $65K BMW w/o navi? You could if you don't care about what others would say or how your dash would look or if you don't mind using your phone or Garmin.
:thumbup:

My $58k E93 doesn't even have iDrive :p

#31 ·
I don't know....for a group that is supposedly devoted to people who enjoy the thrill of driving the Ultimate Driving Machine, there seems to be an awful lot of attention devoted to the luxury bells and whistles rather than the actual driving.

I specifically ordered a car without the nav. Been using a Garmin for years and what I like best about it is I can plan my route in the comfort of my home, not having to be stuck in the car punching in addresses. The downside will be when it comes time to sell the car, as it does seem that everyone else wants the nav.

#34 ·
It's not just the NAV, it's the better screen and all that comes with it. And if you are doing ED, it's even more of a no brainer.

#35 ·
We finally decided on a nav-equipped 435i convertible and picked it up today at Valencia - msrp 68k.

They gave us a pretty good deal but I really must question their customer service. The sales guy wasnt friendly at all! Maybe I pissed them off with my unrelentless questions lol. Anywho got the car we wanted but probably wont buy from them again! Thanks all for your input.

Final option list:

Msport
Premium
Comfort
Nav
19 inch wheels
Hardon karmon
Blue aluminum trim
Lightning package
Drivers assistance package

Overall a nicely spec'ed car but pricey! !

#39 ·
We finally decided on a nav-equipped 435i convertible and picked it up today at Valencia - msrp 68k.

They gave us a pretty good deal but I really must question their customer service. The sales guy wasnt friendly at all! Maybe I pissed them off with my unrelentless questions lol. Anywho got the car we wanted but probably wont buy from them again! Thanks all for your input.

Final option list:

Msport

Premium

Comfort

Nav

19 inch wheels

Hardon karmon

Blue aluminum trim

Lightning package

Drivers assistance package

Overall a nicely spec'ed car but pricey! !
Congrats! Pics?

#36 ·
Congrats! By Lighting Package do you mean it had full LED headlights?

#41 ·
I just did a built on the website and with Msport, premium cold weather and driver assit the total came out to $65K, it's rare that most 435 convert did not come with nav for that price.

#42 ·
A few things.

Like the lighting pkg, navigation is a small price hike to a 50+k car.

Even those that claim its not about money, I still dont understand. Nav gives you a more functional and larger screen with many more tech goodies added in.

Last thing: the garmin or stand alone nav option people... its tacky to see a suction cup small nav attached to the windshield of a 50k car. It screams "ohh look I have money look at my nav!" When those who care think "look at the douche that didnt drop a few extra bucks on integrated nav on a very expensive car".

When I see a suction cup nav on a bimmer its on the same level as a goddy aftermarket rear wing.

One more :) . A 67k 3/4 series??? It better have 4 tail pipes and a dct! I just cant get over spending 70 k on a car and complain about an extra few bucks.....

#59 ·
A few things.

Like the lighting pkg, navigation is a small price hike to a 50+k car.

Even those that claim its not about money, I still dont understand. Nav gives you a more functional and larger screen with many more tech goodies added in.

Last thing: the garmin or stand alone nav option people... its tacky to see a suction cup small nav attached to the windshield of a 50k car. It screams "ohh look I have money look at my nav!" When those who care think "look at the douche that didnt drop a few extra bucks on integrated nav on a very expensive car".

When I see a suction cup nav on a bimmer its on the same level as a goddy aftermarket rear wing.

One more :) . A 67k 3/4 series??? It better have 4 tail pipes and a dct! I just cant get over spending 70 k on a car and complain about an extra few bucks.....
You kinda just answered your own question there on the last line. Right. :) You can spec out a 435i with every bell and whistle and get up to $65-67k, but guess what? You can spend a tiny bit more and be driving an M for basically the same money. Reality check comes in. Do I want to be driving a 435i or an M3/M4? Sorry, 65-67k is too much for me at that point. I'd rather be driving an M if I'm spending nearly $70k on a car.

Bigger screen and tech goodies? Not driving or buying BMWs to look at computer screens or play with tech stuff. I want to feel it and hear it and enjoy the driving experience, and not play around with tech junk. So obviously cars like these are ordered for the lots because there are people like me out there who don't care. :)

Have not seen a Garmin nav suction cupped onto the windscreen of a BMW since the days of the E60. :rofl: Even then I wouldn't have blamed people because built-in Navigation was just as expensive back then, and simply awful. Since smartphones and 3G connection speeds became common in the US here in the late-00's, I only ever see Garmins hooked to windshields on Honda and Toyota type cars. Most people just use their phones, and they work fine.

BTW the HUD system is another useless $1000 for me. I'm very tall, and the way I sit in the car it's not the least bit useful for me as I can never get the system angled up high enough that I don't have to take my eyes off the road or refocus. The F33 I had for a week had HUD and I simply turned it off. The gauges are prettier. The one thing I really do like about the Navigation system is the fancier instrument cluster. But $2k for that? Eh....

If and when I order an F33 for myself, I'll probably end up tossing the Navigation in (sans HUD / tech pacakge). It's a roomier car and easier to tour in, and having Nav would be nice. It's definitely a much better navigation system than older generations, but still has some of the same issues of not displaying the names of roads that you're coming up on, even in full zoom. Pretty stupid! If BMW fixes that, maybe they'd finally convince me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.