BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Just ordered my 2013 535i

9K views 100 replies 18 participants last post by  DieselNY 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Pretty new to the forum, but couldn't contain my excitement. Just ordered a 2013 black 535i with x-drive, m-sport package, premium package, technology, driver assistance, sport automatic and premium sound.

There are plenty of threads here that will prepare me for when the car arrives (unfortunately, I have to wait five weeks) but I would still appreciate any quick pointers/advice for when I'm breaking it in. I'm hoping I get as much enjoyment from it as so many of you have documented.

Thanks!

#2 ·
One more question if anyone feels like helping a Bimmerfest novice: As I'm checking threads and although I see that many owners recommend replacing the RFTs with non-RFTs on 535i's, I can't seem to find recommendations for non-RFT tires for x-drive vehicles. I'm sure they're here but I can't find them. Anyway, it seems like RFTs are more of a headache than anything else. My car will obviously come with 19" 245/40 RFTs.

Again, any advice is much appreciated!!

#9 ·
I have a 535xi on order with msport 351 19 inch wheels. Did a ton of research on here re: replacing the RFTs. My car is due to arrive next week in Baltimore and hopefully will be prepped ready for pickup by April 1.

I have already ordered Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus from Tire Rack and they are sitting at the dealer ready to be swapped onto the new ride immediately. I will then store the GY RFTs and swap them back on at lease turn-in in 3 years.

I had had a 330i E90 for almost 8 years and have been running the Conti DWS on it for about a year. Those are great tires and I almost bought them for the new F10, but several on this forum said the Contis are great on the E60 and E90 but not so great on the F10. So, I thought I'd try the Pilot Sport A/S Plus.

Also, if you want to track your car, here is a great site. Also, note that there is an iPhone app for marine traffic where you can track your ship as well. Good luck!

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/07/14/how-to-follow-a-new-bmw-from-order-to-shipping-and-to-delivery/

One more question if anyone feels like helping a Bimmerfest novice: As I'm checking threads and although I see that many owners recommend replacing the RFTs with non-RFTs on 535i's, I can't seem to find recommendations for non-RFT tires for x-drive vehicles. I'm sure they're here but I can't find them. Anyway, it seems like RFTs are more of a headache than anything else. My car will obviously come with 19" 245/40 RFTs.

Again, any advice is much appreciated!!

#3 ·
Congratulations!

Here are some pointers:

1. Since you have ordered the premium sound (wise decision, BTW), please dig up the thread that recommends equalizer setting for Logic7 system - they make a big impact!

2. If you have an iPhone, you can take advantage of BMW apps. The follow iOS apps are compatible as of today: Pandora, MOG, Stitcher, Aupeo, BMW Connected. If you don't have iPhone, you can still stream audio via bluetooth A2DP.

3. With 19" wheel, you'll probably need to add the wheel-and-tire insurance.

4. Search for a video (on YouTube?) demonstrating how to make a virtual kick under the trunk to open it via comfort access. After you have mastered it, you won't want to open your trunk any other way.

#4 ·
Hey Neil,

Thanks for the pointers! I'm glad I went with premium sound, I will definitely look up that thread on equalizer setting for Logic7. I do have an iPhone so no worries there. And it seems like wheel-and-tire insurance are a must with run flats? I can't believe the amount of complaints on those tires?! Hopefully I have a little more luck with mine than some other owners who have posted comments.

As for Comfort Access? I'm used to it already and I don't even have the car yet :)

Thanks again, and I hope to post some pics in about five weeks.

#5 · (Edited)
I can't believe the amount of complaints on those tires?! Hopefully I have a little more luck with mine than some other owners who have posted comments.
Congratulations on ordering your 535i! First, I don't have the 19" RFT's so I don't have direct experience. My standard suspension setup comes with the 18". I had RFT's on my previous 335i as well. I've experienced zero issues with mine. I'm not doubting that some forum members have had issues with theirs, but we're two years down the road (no pun intended) from when those LS2's were first introduced, there might have been some improvements. Also, you don't see threads from other forum members, or the BMW population "at large" who don't have issues. I wouldn't rush to change tires, I would recommend running them for a while and see what your own experience is. As for "terrible ride", etc., reported for RFT's, I would disagree. My 335i and 535i ride very well.

Good luck with the car. One other question. If you ordered the car, why are you saying 5 weeks? You should expect more like 7-8 weeks for an ordered car to arrive to New York, 6 if you're very luck with timing of getting on a ship, etc. If you get an allocation slot immediately, like they changed an in-stock order for you, the build takes about a week. Transport to the port about 5 days. Getting on a ship depends on when your car arrives at the port. You can wait up to 10 days, worst case, for a ship. The ship takes about 2 weeks to cross to the US, it stops at some other European ports first. Then the car arrives at the VPC and can take up to a week there, then transport to your dealer. I think 6 weeks minimum.

#6 ·
Thank for the feedback Mark. I'm happy to see that some owners are NOT experiencing difficulties with their RFTs. I was already envisioning bubbles immediately appearing on my tires as I drove away from the dealer. I will take your advice and see how my car rides. One question for you: Being that you do have RFTs, did you take out wheel and tire insurance? I have seen from some threads that replacing those tires is not inexpensive! If so, did you get it through your dealer or a third-party?

I'm saying five weeks because that's the time frame my client advisor gave me. I do believe they might have changed an in-stock order for me because he said the car was "in production" but has all the features I requested. Or maybe he was just trying to make the sale! Anyway, I gave myself six weeks (end of April) just to be safe. Any longer than that and I will be disappointed.

Thanks for your good wishes and if you have any advice on that insurance I will gladly take it!

#11 ·
Thank for the feedback Mark. I'm happy to see that some owners are NOT experiencing difficulties with their RFTs. I was already envisioning bubbles immediately appearing on my tires as I drove away from the dealer. I will take your advice and see how my car rides. One question for you: Being that you do have RFTs, did you take out wheel and tire insurance? I have seen from some threads that replacing those tires is not inexpensive! If so, did you get it through your dealer or a third-party?

I'm saying five weeks because that's the time frame my client advisor gave me. I do believe they might have changed an in-stock order for me because he said the car was "in production" but has all the features I requested. Or maybe he was just trying to make the sale! Anyway, I gave myself six weeks (end of April) just to be safe. Any longer than that and I will be disappointed.

Thanks for your good wishes and if you have any advice on that insurance I will gladly take it!
I've never taken the tire insurance. I'm not sure where you are in NY, but some people who drive in the city say there are terrible potholdes all over the place. We do have our share of potholes in MD/DC/VA, but I can usually avoid the bad ones.

Like some other replies mention, you can track your car once it's on the ship. Ask your dealer to provide you with weekly factory status, they can simply email you a scan of their weekly advice memos. They can look up your car anytime within their BMW dealer site and get exactly where your car is in the build/ship cycle. I've attached a few sample of what my SA sent me weekly. Once it's on the ship, use this URL to track the vessel:

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/

Attachments

#7 ·
Chase,

My car took 8 weeks to arrive after ordering and I am on California. So I think 6 weeks is a reasonable guess for East Coast.

Here are the recommended setup for premium sound, though you might want to dial down the treble a bit if the sound seems too 'bright'.

BMW EQ Setting

Fader +2 towards rear
Treble +4
Bass 0
Surround off!!!

100Hz -2
200Hz -1
500Hz 0
1KHz +2
2KHz -3
5KHz +4
10KHz +6

#8 ·
Hey Neil,

Realistically, I'm thinking it's six weeks too but hoping the power of positive thinking brings her in a little earlier..

Thanks for the EQ settings, will be sure to follow them.

#13 ·
Waiting is the painful but also fun part of the ownership experience. :) I can say that after receiving my car, of course.

I would say, get the tire insurance. You don't need to get it from BMW, there are other 3rd parties offering them. In my experience, if you worry about something happening, that thing will eventually happen. It is better to feel covered.

I have 18" wheels but drove 19" wheels in the tests and they are harder than the 18" and therefore more vulnerable to anything on the road surface. But it only takes a nasty nail to kill them both!

I am in NJ and my car took exactly 8 weeks to arrive. If you are lucky, you receive her in 6 weeks, and if the dealer had the exact same car that you ordered already in production then you may receive it in 5 weeks because the pre-prod, prod and delivery to the port takes 1 week +- couple of days. The transit on the ship is 3 weeks. A couple of days at the VDC and prep. You have 5 weeks right there.

Enjoy checking out the status your car online and following the ship on the map every so often. :thumbup:

#15 ·
Enjoy checking out the status your car online and following the ship on the map every so often. :thumbup:
So true. The anticipation build-up is part of the (untold) benefits of placing an order for your F10.

#14 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Pretty new to the forum, but couldn't contain my excitement. Just ordered a 2013 black 535i with x-drive, m-sport package, premium package, technology, driver assistance, sport automatic and premium sound.

There are plenty of threads here that will prepare me for when the car arrives (unfortunately, I have to wait five weeks) but I would still appreciate any quick pointers/advice for when I'm breaking it in. I'm hoping I get as much enjoyment from it as so many of you have documented.

Thanks!
If you live in New York City and have 19" runflats, good luck to you, you will need it. Keep in mind that if you buy tires insuarnce, it will not cover non-runflat or non oem tires. Do you have adaptive suspension?

#16 ·
I've ordered two bimmers and the first took 7 weeks and the f10 on order will likely also take 7 weeks. Ordered 2/12 and went into production a week later. Thankfully only sat in Bremerhaven for 1 day. Now it is on the Tirranna in the middle of the Atlantic scheduled to arrive in Baltimore on 3/21. Hope to have it in Cincy prior to 4/1.

#25 ·
First automotive seems to be the popular one and yes there is a few thousand dollar cap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App

#31 ·
For me it's a no brainer. Switch out the RFT's. If your leasing hold on to them for when you have to give the car back. Win-Win.

#48 ·
Good stuff, I'm excited for you. Hope your enjoying your vaca without thinking of what's waiting for you when you get back home lol! Post some pics if you get the chance!

#52 ·
Awesome. Do you have a 5 now as well? Your build looks similar to mine. I splurged or the nappa at the last minute. Hope it is worth it.

#55 ·
Picked up my 5 today after a long flight back from LA. Got to play around with all the tech and put about 50 miles on her. Hit some twisties and was floored by how the car was on absolute rails given its size. Loved my E90 sport package but this beast awed me. Is it the DHP? Not sure but it was heavenly. The nappa leather also is super plush. Hope it holds up well. All the tech seems evolutionary from my e90 and it didn't take long to get used to it. Still lots to learn but so far I'm a very happy camper. Will be leaving for work early to take the long way in....

#57 ·
Got everything hooked up. Car feels so much bigger than my e90, but it is so deceiving in how well it handles. In Comfort, you can cruise down the freeway as if you're in a Bentley, gentile and comfortable, then you punch the gas and the legendary BMW torque propels you past just about everyone and everything around you. In Sport, it is even more pronounced. I know that the shift points are immediately more aggressive but not sure if the chassis and steering tightness is only on the DHP cars (anyone help?). But driving in Sport feels best.

I was shocked at how I could push this car in the twisties like my old 330i given how the car feels otherwise. Amazing.

The BMW Apps are cool - read your tweets and texts (unfortunatetly cannot reply). Wish they had iHeartRadio so I could get some of my other fav stations in other cities (mainly Clear Channel owned I think). Can't figure out how to get email to show up yet.

The storage bin to the left of the steering wheel is awesome. Have two pairs of Oakleys in there.

HUD is a neat feature, except that my sunglasses are both polarized and it really dims the display a ton.

The multicountour seats are the bomb - very similar to my old sport seats except for the lack of side bolsters (bummer) but otherwise are extremely comfy.

I like the fact that all of your up to 40 presets between radio, SAT, etc. can be mixed together. Saves a bunch of time toggling between formats. Bluetooth and ipod/iphone music sounds fantastic on the premium sound. SAT seems to sound better than on my previous BMW.

The lane departure warning is sorta cool. I almost forgot about it until I noticed the triangles in heavy traffic. Don't think this is a must have though.

The cameras are cool, although I haven't completely figured out how/when to use the the side and overhead cams yet. I have used the PDC in my garage and at work, and the back up is, of course, very useful. Almost didn't get this option - last minute cave.

Navi screen is huge and looks great. Haven't used it much but like that you can pull addresses from your phone contacts like you can with an iphone.

Love the programmable 8 buttons. Have some programmed for phones, one for navi home, one for "presets", etc. Neat that you can rest your finger over the buttons without pushing them to see what they will do WHEN you push the buttons. Also like the small toggle wheel on the right side of steering wheel for scrolling through songs, phone numbers, etc.

Comfort access works well. Wish you could close the trunk from the inside. I heard you can code this?

Lastly, debating whether to tint or not. I don't want it dark, but people tell me 50% is not worth doing. I've searched the forums a bunch and still haven't made a decision . BMW OEM glass seems less tinted than others' factory tint, so I'd like to do something.

Michelin pilot sport a/s feel solid - but never drove with the RFT so have nothing to compare them to.

Well, sorry for the rambling. I know a couple of others are picking up this week too - DJHOMIE being one. :thumbup:

#58 ·
Yep tomorrow...:thumbup: But it's going straight to the detailing shop.:cry: But when it's done it will be killer..:D

#59 ·
Wildcat, nice writeup. Sounds like you're very happy with everything for the most part. With DJ picking up his car today, it looks like I'm one of the next ones waiting for delivery. Can't wait!

#60 ·
Yep, picked my baby up today. Man that thing looks sweet. It was funny when I was driving out of the dealership with all the wrapping and stickers still on the car. People were looking at me like I stole it. Lmao!!! Drove it straight to my detailing guy. So now it's in his hands. Only had it for 10 mins.. : ( But when I get it back in 7-10 days, it all would've been worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.