BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

"Tip-In" and "Initial Acceleration" problems fixed

111K views 444 replies 107 participants last post by  chims 
#1 ·
I have several updates to provide everyone after picking up my 2011 535i Dec 2010 build back yesterday from local NC BMW dealer. the first is the well publicized "tip in" or "initial acceleration" issue. i was expeceriing the same as many others where if you are a c complete stop and you go to accelerate the car doesnt respond right away and you naturally apply more gas and then the car jumps ahead of you. but if you were to move to the D/S position, the car was perfect and you didnt experience any lag in acceleration...it was almost like the car was set to start off in 2nd gear vs 1st

well i am happy to report the sw patch applied has completely corrected the issue...now this is a tricky one as your local BMW will not have this sw at their site. My SA luckily had heard of this issue and had to escalate to BMW-NA to obtain the fix. according to SA, BMW-NA are the only ones that can remote into car and apply the fix....

notes from my paperwork show the following: "DME Software Calibration SIB 12 09 11, attempted to program but CID failed to program. Completed battery reset and switched ICOM's, CID failed' Submitted PUMA CASE #xxxx Completed I-RAP programming session"

Software fix took almost two days to apply but happy to report that it has completely fixed the issue and the acceleration has returned!!!!

See less See more
#121 ·
I've been in touch with BMWNA. They asked me to bring the car to the dealer and that BMW engineering would work with my dealer on resolving this. I'm dropping it next Tuesday. We'll see what happens.

#125 · (Edited)
So I took mine (535xi built 05/11) in today and the shop foreman said that it drove like every new BMW that he'd driven. The SIB won't work either because mine was built after the date on the SIB. I'll go back tomorrow and get either the shop foreman or the service adviser to drive with me, but I'm not expecting much. Pretty frustrating!!!

#126 ·
RyanS. Call BMWNA and let them know the car has issues. They are the ones that arranged for the service I am about to have. Don't let the dealer give you that ol'e "they all do that" excuse.

Full report when I get it back.
Q

#128 ·
...Anyway - if "they all do that" then 'they are all defective,' right?

#134 ·
My car was delivered in June and built well after 02/11. It was in the shop today for replacement of a faulty emissions sensor in the gas system which caused the emissions warning to come on last week. They were also updating software for the throttle response problem, which they agreed was clearly present on their test drive.

We will see if the update actually does anything when I pick it up tomorrow.

#135 ·
Well a great thread. My first BMW car, I've had a few of the motorcycles. I picked up my 535i in May and fired off an email to my sales guy not to long after that:

Well I have had the opportunity to put about 1600 miles on the car including a trip to Houston. Ride quality and handling are great. Two areas that I have some significant concerns are:

(1) The very non-linear fell to the brakes. It seems like I press the brake pedal and the car slows and under constant brake pressure reaches a point where it slows very suddenly harder. This is a bit disconcerting especially when I have passengers in the car.
(2) Even more concerning is that the transmission can't seem to decide what gear it wants to be in especially under circumstances where I punch the accelerator. I have had a few hair raising experiences where I went to accelerate (either on the highway or pulling out into traffic), I stabbed the accelerator and the car didn't 'o for about a second or second and half and then it felt like it started out in third gear. My expectations are that in a $60k sports sedan when I hit the accelerator the car goes, not matter normal mode, sport or sport plus. The tranny is taking too much time in any mode deciding what it wants to do. I have been using only super unleaded from Exxon in the car so it is not any kind of fuel issue.

I would appreciate your thoughts or BMW's thoughts on my concerns above. The car has met or exceeded my expectations in every other regard but what I have described above. Unfortunately, what is described above are some pretty fundamental issues.

I have not had a chance to bring it in, which was their response and I do not troll the discussion forums too much. I am going to give BMW a chance to fix it. Maybe the new patch. I will call BMWNA today and lodge a complaint, however, it is "attorney time" after that. I have not time or energy to deal with what appears to be a fundamental design defect. I suspect it can all be solved with computer programming but at some negative impact to fuel economy. The deceleration issues, which annoy me as much, are likely due to the efficient dynamics recharging the battery on deceleration. Very disappointed. My wife is scared to drive it and frankly I am scared to back it out of the garage sometimes give the herky jerky nature at startup and the tight fit. If BMWNA can't make this car drive like a $60k performance sedan, they can have their car back, I'll have my money back and head down to the Audi, Benz or other dealership.

#139 ·
Well a great thread. My first BMW car, I've had a few of the motorcycles. I picked up my 535i in May and fired off an email to my sales guy not to long after that:

Well I have had the opportunity to put about 1600 miles on the car including a trip to Houston. Ride quality and handling are great. Two areas that I have some significant concerns are:

(1) The very non-linear fell to the brakes. It seems like I press the brake pedal and the car slows and under constant brake pressure reaches a point where it slows very suddenly harder. This is a bit disconcerting especially when I have passengers in the car.
(2)...
IMHO considering they don't seem to listen on more important issues, doubt that they'll do anything here. What I've noticed is that you have three distinct actions going on that cause this non-linearity; 1. Actual brake system clamping and slowing next will come 2. the additional braking from the Energy Dynamic recovery system (usually fairly light) and finally 3. [the most problematic and noticeable) the downshifting of the transmission into 2nd and 1st gears - very abrupt and jerky. Find an isolated road where you can watch the dash while braking at the level that makes this programming most noticeable and I believe you'll see the same as has been described. Now could they reprogram when and how these other systems take effect? Seems like a reasonable possibility to me. Will they do it? Not very imo - what with the all the eco rules and regulations etc. putting pressure on the manufactures. Ford used ti use a line that went something like "A better idea - Ford" which went away not too long after an in fated model disaster. Perhaps BMWs better driving through engineering (over engineering?) statement/implication will go away after a few more of these bad systems programming logic snafus. My $0.02

#136 ·
I spoke with my dealer tyoday and he confirmed a new ECM update coming to the dealership over the weekend and we set up an appointment for two weeks hence to have the car reflashed. He acknowledged that it may take more than one day and the falsh failures are common.

Also, I asked him about an oil change at 4k miles and he said sure, $125 bucks. Holy crap on a stick. My 12 quart cummins diesel with Amsoil is less than that.

#137 ·
I spoke with my dealer tyoday and he confirmed a new ECM update coming to the dealership over the weekend and we set up an appointment for two weeks hence to have the car reflashed. He acknowledged that it may take more than one day and the falsh failures are common.

Also, I asked him about an oil change at 4k miles and he said sure, $125 bucks. Holy crap on a stick. My 12 quart cummins diesel with Amsoil is less than that.
I know you said you picked it up in May, but what is your build date? I was told all cars built after 02/11 have already had the update applied.

#138 ·
My 535 acceleration issue

Hi
I had this same problem with initial tip in acceleration problem. At first I thought it was just me not getting use to the car. Then I foun this thread and took the car in and had the software update done. The car came back like a "NEW" car should feel. Smooth and responsive for a couple of weeks. Now the problem returns! I'm very concern :cry: and it doesn't feel right, a brand new car should not feel this way. It also "stutters" at a slow speed. What I really don't understand is, how could the problem return after the car got an updated software?????? Anyone has the same problem? or any idea to share?

P

#140 ·
I installed a Sprint Booster today and it helped this issue tremendously! It didn't take the lag away 100%, but I'd say about 80% of it is gone. The throttle is more responsive at all times and will take a little getting use to, but I prefer it with the Sprint Booster installed versus without. Sport+ is pretty touchy, but fun at the same time. :thumbup:

#148 ·
RyanS, quick question, have you noticed a difference in your gas mileage since the install? and sorry for this question, but does it void your BMW warranty if added?? i havent done any research on this addition so i am asking without reading anything!!! (i know, i should read first!! lol )

#142 ·
Do many people read across models on Bimmerfest? This whole discussion is strikingly consistent with the 2007-2011 BMW X3 auto transmission thread here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262130

Highly recommend reading that thread carefully if you're experiencing erratic acceleration in your 5-series. Good luck!

-James
Seattle, WA

2006 BMW X3 3.0i (6-spd manual, m-sport, premium, PDC, xenons)

#152 ·
That's the GM6 transmission, which is an entirely different kettle of fish.

#153 ·
Is there any way to tell if you have the most recent update?

I have a late May/2011 build 550xi that experiences really sluggish acceloration in the 5-20mph range about 50% of the time. Sounds similar to what I have read here, sluggish start and feels like it has 2-4 big stutters until the turbos kick in in-full.

I plan to take it to the dealer, and I would like to give them the specific update to check for.

#155 ·
Dropped mine off today. Had a very terse and direct conversation with the assistant service manager at Dallas BMW. Of course he immediately lapses into well, its BMW USA not us you have an issue with. BMW of Dallas is an Autonation dealership. I just hate how no one takes responsibility for anything any more. Right?

#166 ·
Sonnie and all, hope the below info helps. this is the info from my first post on this thread, the SIB number is listed and what steps you need to ask your SA. Some SA's are pushing back but as you can tell from my receipt, your SA has to escalate to BMWNA and at least back when I had my update completed, BMWNA had to remotely install the update while your car is in service in order to apply the patch. My SA told me that they were working with BMWNA a few months back to be able to update this patch themselves while in service vs having to wait for approval from BMWNA, so not sure if that ever happened or not.

I still have a little lag when in "D" mode but nothing compared prior to the patch. Whenever i need that extra kick, i simply put in "D/S" and keep on going.

here is my initial post with the SIB info:

"I have several updates to provide everyone after picking up my 2011 535i Dec 2010 build back yesterday from local NC BMW dealer. the first is the well publicized "tip in" or "initial acceleration" issue. i was expeceriing the same as many others where if you are a c complete stop and you go to accelerate the car doesnt respond right away and you naturally apply more gas and then the car jumps ahead of you. but if you were to move to the D/S position, the car was perfect and you didnt experience any lag in acceleration...it was almost like the car was set to start off in 2nd gear vs 1st

well i am happy to report the sw patch applied has completely corrected the issue...now this is a tricky one as your local BMW will not have this sw at their site. My SA luckily had heard of this issue and had to escalate to BMW-NA to obtain the fix. according to SA, BMW-NA are the only ones that can remote into car and apply the fix....

notes from my paperwork show the following: "DME Software Calibration SIB 12 09 11, attempted to program but CID failed to program. Completed battery reset and switched ICOM's, CID failed' Submitted PUMA CASE #xxxx Completed I-RAP programming session"

Software fix took almost two days to apply but happy to report that it has completely fixed the issue and the acceleration has returned!!!!"

#158 ·
I was at the dealership yesterday and asked my SA about it. She stated that they have seen the issue with the 528i and seemed to admit there is a problem with that model. However she said there isn't an issue with the 535 and that's how they perform. I had a 528 loaner yesterday and it did the same thing my 535 does. The 528 did seem much worse but that could be due to less HP.

#163 ·
Looks like this issue is specific to this transmission, not the engine or chassis. From this month's Bimmer Magazine, in a review by Mike Miller of the X3 28i:

"...Sport mode also starts the vehicle out from a stop in first gear instead of second, which brings me to my only drivetrain quibble: This transmission really rewards smooth driving and prefers an acceleration rate I'll charitably call conservative.

It may expect too much patience of the driver, especially in a metropolitan area where it isn't socially acceptable to motor away at a leisureley pace once the light turns green. Give it some gas and the X3 starts to move but not quickly enough. Tip in a bit more throttle and the transmission downshifts into first and off you go, spilling coffee on your shirt as it lunges forward. It's not consistent and the rate of acceleration seems to depend on the incline of the road as well as the degree and speed at which you add throttle

Using the transmission's Sport mode eliminated the issue at start-off but then made the subsequent shift into second more abrupt. The best shifting could be achieved by using Manual mode and shifting about 3,000 to 3,500 RPM which resulted in silky smooth gear changes notwithstanding a heavy foot on the gas pedal."

I couldn't have described it more perfectly. To me, this is a severe programming issue with this transmission and 6 cylinder engines. My friend with an X6 35i has the same thing, as does seemingly both 6 cylinder F10s. Doesn't seem like the 8 cylinder cars experience it as much or at all? It needs to be perfected. It has been written about in almost every review of the car, especially the long term tests (Edmunds, Motor Trend, etc.)

I am going to email Mike Miller to see if there is something he can do with his contacts within BMW to put pressure on them to fix this issue. Unlike Mike, who says "...I cannot emphasize enough that this minor complaint did not impair my enjoyment of the X3." I feel that it is very, very annoying and highly detracts from the enjoyment of the car. It's something I have to think about EVERY time I drive the car, and EVERY time I pull away from a stop. With my driving conditions in NoVA, DC, that is a LOT of times.

Let's see if we can ratchet up the pressure on BMW to fix this!!!

#167 ·
Looks like this issue is specific to this transmission, not the engine or chassis. From this month's Bimmer Magazine, in a review by Mike Miller of the X3 28i:

"...Sport mode also starts the vehicle out from a stop in first gear instead of second, which brings me to my only drivetrain quibble: This transmission really rewards smooth driving and prefers an acceleration rate I'll charitably call conservative.

It may expect too much patience of the driver, especially in a metropolitan area where it isn't socially acceptable to motor away at a leisureley pace once the light turns green. Give it some gas and the X3 starts to move but not quickly enough. Tip in a bit more throttle and the transmission downshifts into first and off you go, spilling coffee on your shirt as it lunges forward. It's not consistent and the rate of acceleration seems to depend on the incline of the road as well as the degree and speed at which you add throttle

Using the transmission's Sport mode eliminated the issue at start-off but then made the subsequent shift into second more abrupt. The best shifting could be achieved by using Manual mode and shifting about 3,000 to 3,500 RPM which resulted in silky smooth gear changes notwithstanding a heavy foot on the gas pedal."

I couldn't have described it more perfectly. To me, this is a severe programming issue with this transmission and 6 cylinder engines. My friend with an X6 35i has the same thing, as does seemingly both 6 cylinder F10s. Doesn't seem like the 8 cylinder cars experience it as much or at all? It needs to be perfected. It has been written about in almost every review of the car, especially the long term tests (Edmunds, Motor Trend, etc.)

I am going to email Mike Miller to see if there is something he can do with his contacts within BMW to put pressure on them to fix this issue. Unlike Mike, who says "...I cannot emphasize enough that this minor complaint did not impair my enjoyment of the X3." I feel that it is very, very annoying and highly detracts from the enjoyment of the car. It's something I have to think about EVERY time I drive the car, and EVERY time I pull away from a stop. With my driving conditions in NoVA, DC, that is a LOT of times.

Let's see if we can ratchet up the pressure on BMW to fix this!!!
just curious if you have tried D/S mode and your opinion on that? even though the patch fixed 90% of my initial issue, whenever i want that extra kick (i.e. at the stop light, complete stop, etc) i just simply put into D/S mode. "D" mode (at least with the patch fix that i have) seems to suffice in 90% of the time..just curious on your feedback on this...thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.