BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Smokey exhaust lead to replacing twin turbo!

14K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Lelolia16 
#1 ·
I noticed there was visible, albeit light, smoke coming out of the exhaust when the car was idle. I took it in to the dealer and told them that they topped of a quart of oil the day before and they thought it might be something minor and since I am due for an oil change in 1600 miles, just to observe and if the problem becomes worse to bring the car back. While I was discussing with the SA, a tech came out stepped on the throttle and a lot of smoke came out and they recommended that they look it over. I got a call my SA yesterday saying there was an issue with both turbos and they ordered replacements which should be coming in tomorrow. Anyone else experience this problem?

#2 ·
They replaced the turbos and it would have cost $5600 plus labor. Purchasing the extended warranty and maintenance paid for itself. I got the car back and I got another error message and I brought the car back and two cylinders are misfiring. They said it should be fixed by tomorrow.

#4 ·
The car has 62k miles on it. I asked if that was the case but they did their inspections and determined the turbos were just defective.

#5 ·
When I bought my 2009 750li earlier this year, it only had 24K miles on it, and had just had one of the turbos replaced.

#9 ·
My SA called me today and after replacing the fuel injector they are still getting the engine warning light so they need to run more diagnostics to find the error. Will update once as soon as I hear anything new.

#10 ·
About the turbos...
For sure the Dinan software raises pressure and leads the turbochargers to their upper limits.62000 miles are too much for a stressed turbocharger...
About missfires and engine warning light...
Tell them check the lambda sensors.It could be dirty because of the oil leak.If injectors are OK,check for the ignition coils.If all of the above are OK (injectors,ignition coils,lambda sensors),be prepared for serious engine damage (piston etc)...:thumbdwn:

#11 ·
I told them that I did have long crank issues, hopefully it's the ignition coils. Let's see, he should be calling in a couple of hours so let's see. Thanks for the heads up.

#12 ·
Got a call from my SA today and he said they need to clean the engine valves and remove excess carbon deposits. He said that everything should be done by next Wednesday or Thursday!

#14 ·
This is not good news...
I hope you have not more serius damages inside the engine because this is usually the cause of missfires (if injectors end ignition coils are ok).

Excess carbon deposits could occur when engine runs too rich fuel mixture and when you drive too often for short time.
In the 1st case you should check Dinan software.I have the information that BMW twinturbo engines run at lean mixture till 5000 rpm (14.7:1) and it goes richer till 7000 rpm (12.5-13:1).If dinan software is the cause of carbon deposits,it's possible that dinan engineers made too rich mixture (usually for safety reasons,to avoid engine knock).

The other "scenario" (the bad one) that is also possible,is that dinan software raises turbo pressure too much without altering enough the fuel mixture and the ignition advance.This leads to an overheating combusting chamber,engine knock and piston damage.

Anyway I hope I'm wrong...and your issue will be not solved painful.

#16 ·
The flash was done at about 32k and I put 30K miles since then. Most of it is highway miles. At this point, I don't care what they do, I just want my car back. I am not too worried about the long term effects because it is a lease car but I do have 13 months left.

#17 ·
Just picked up my car and I don't think I have been this happy to see it since I first got it. I attached the invoices with this post and you can see the work that was done. They still don't have an answer as to why the turbos failed but they said the excess carbon deposits were due to the failed turbos. They had to completely remove the transmission, intercooler, and the engine. When I picked up the car, I saw their paperwork and it was as thick as a textbook! Finally I have my car back and the car's performance seems surreal after driving a 528i for two weeks. I didn't know the new 528i is a V4 twin turbo. I was very satisfied with the 528i and I look forward to getting the new M5 after my lease is up.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.