BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E90 steering column replacement --- possible to get goodwill?

12K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  181562 
#1 ·
Hello,

Couple of months ago an amber steering lock sign (steering with pad lock on upper left corner) started to appear on my dashboard. I did some research and found out that it has to do with electronic steering lock problem.

Since it was still an amber and not a red sign, plus I had know issues in starting the car, I did not pay much attention to it.

Today I took my car for a scheduled service to a reputed independent mechanic (since my car is out of warranty, I take my car to this mechanic only). Along with scheduled service I paid another $107 to get my steering checked. Mechanic told me that I am lucky that I haven't run into "Car not starting issue yet" and I should get my steering column replaced.

He is still in the process of getting quote for me but it's going to be around $775 (part + labor). Since car has low mileage on it, he asked me to talk to dealer about getting a goodwill.

Car details:
year: 2006
model: 325i
mileage: 49950

It's been out of warranty for past two years.

Questions:
1) I did bit of my own research and Electronic Steering lock failure seems to be a common problem in 2006 E90s. I don't think 50K is that big of a miles on this car to start showing such problems. Is it possible for me to get a goodwill for steering column replacement from BMW of NA?

I really appreciated all your guidance with this.

Thanks,
K2

See less See more
#2 ·
Had mine replaced at 20,000km.... Your is a bit high in MLg so good luck.... $700 is not that bad though

#3 · (Edited)
Can it not be disabled for far less? Seems silly to drop ~$800 for a non essential part on a 2006.

At seven years old unless it had an extended warranty I'd be stunned if BMW offer anything.

Am sure you are already found this DIY write-up, seems many disassemble and clean/lube to fix it.

#4 ·
I highly doubt you will get goodwill from BMW NA since its 2 years out of warranty. They usually do goodwill if you are slightly over the mileage or time. In this case, you are still under 50k but way over the 4 years unless you have CPO.

#5 ·
Hello,

Couple of months ago an amber steering lock sign (steering with pad lock on upper left corner) started to appear on my dashboard. I did some research and found out that it has to do with electronic steering lock problem.

Since it was still an amber and not a red sign, plus I had know issues in starting the car, I did not pay much attention to it.

Today I took my car for a scheduled service to a reputed independent mechanic (since my car is out of warranty, I take my car to this mechanic only). Along with scheduled service I paid another $107 to get my steering checked. Mechanic told me that I am lucky that I haven't run into "Car not starting issue yet" and I should get my steering column replaced.

He is still in the process of getting quote for me but it's going to be around $775 (part + labor). Since car has low mileage on it, he asked me to talk to dealer about getting a goodwill.

Car details:
year: 2006
model: 325i
mileage: 49950

It's been out of warranty for past two years.

Questions:
1) I did bit of my own research and Electronic Steering lock failure seems to be a common problem in 2006 E90s. I don't think 50K is that big of a miles on this car to start showing such problems. Is it possible for me to get a goodwill for steering column replacement from BMW of NA?

I really appreciated all your guidance with this.

Thanks,
K2
Of course it's possible. In fact, demand it!

This egregious problem endemic to the first year model run should never have happened, and is a black mark in BMW history.

Again, demand your right of replacement as a true BMW driver! Warranty or no warranty, your requirement should be that the manufacturer make this right.

#6 ·
Thank you all for the responses.

I am going to talk Service manage at our local dealership and see what she has to say about goodwill repair.

I thought of DIY, but I am still a newbee as far as DIY is concerned so don't want to risk it yet. There is always a first time for everything but I still feel bit nervous about DIY.

I am also bit pessimistic about getting a goodwill repair from snobby dealers. Having said that I am still going to try it out. As CALWATERBOY mentioned, as an owner of bmw car I feel it's my moral responsibility to report this issue --- which happens to be a very common issue for E90 firt gen cars and I feel it's BMW dealer/carshop's responsibility to give me a goodwill at least on the part if not labor.

In the end I might not get it but it's worth a try. I will keep you posted.

#8 ·
I am also bit pessimistic about getting a goodwill repair from snobby dealers. Having said that I am still going to try it out. As CALWATERBOY mentioned, as an owner of bmw car I feel it's my moral responsibility to report this issue --- which happens to be a very common issue for E90 firt gen cars and I feel it's BMW dealer/carshop's responsibility to give me a goodwill at least on the part if not labor.
>Cough< Harumph.....wheeze.....

If serious, you should have little hope of success. Two Years Out Of Warranty might figure strongly in BMW's response, as well it should - their warranty offer's clear!

#7 ·
Pre July 2006 build Z4s have a known steering issue (I'll save you the details but different from your problem). My June 2006 build Z4 had the problem and in Summer 2011 and about 40K miles, BMW split the cost with me to fix it. So, while not apples to apples, just a data point for you.

#9 ·
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2006 330i that only has 48,000 miles on it. If something like this breaks,I'm out of luck. I think it's total crap that BMW does not fess up to these known design defects. For those of us that do not put on very many miles, we are penalized for it by not getting these design defects fixed under warranty as others have.
I understand a warranty period is what it is, but that still doesn't make it right. The car just sitting there doesn't wear out these kinds of items. These are use and mileage based therefore should be fixed under the mileage part of the warranty. Sorry for the rant, I would definitely try what's it going to hurt? :)

Good luck

#10 ·
Update:

I had a talk with BMWNA rep. As per the rep, chance of getting goodwill are minimal (because I am out of warranty for 2 years). Rep asked me get the problem diagnosed by a authorized BMW dealer, send them the update and if they think it's really genuine they can think about the goodwill.

I have an appointment with the dealer this Thursday (01/02).

#11 ·
Update:

I had a talk with BMWNA rep. As per the rep, chance of getting goodwill are minimal (because I am out of warranty for 2 years). Rep asked me get the problem diagnosed by a authorized BMW dealer, send them the update and if they think it's really genuine they can think about the goodwill.

I have an appointment with the dealer this Thursday (01/02).
It never hurts to ask. All they can do is say no. BMW performed a partial goodwill repair on my X5 but it was about a year out of warranty (and I am not the original buyer).

#12 ·
Are goodwill repairs footed by BMW NA or the dealer? I was under the impression it was the dealer. In that case, since you did not establish a relation with a dealer past warranty my guess is your chances of getting a repair for free are slim. If BMW NA picks up the tab, I suppose asking is a viable option. Of course, my guess is the dealer will want 1 hour labor to diagnose the problem. Might not be worth the investment if chances of getting the repair paid for are slim.

Good luck!

#13 ·
My goodwill repair was picked up by both. BMW paid for a third, the dealer paid for a third, and I covered the rest. My only relationship with the dealer was the purchase of my 1999 328i back in December of 1998...twelve years earlier. Other than that I've done almost no business outside of this goodwill repair with that dealer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.