BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F25 X3 2.8i Common Problem areas

9K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  jman103099 
#1 ·
Hi

I'm finally joining the forum. My wife and have been BMW CCA members since 2001 and we've owned or leased six 3 series, an X5 and four X3s. Our current rides are a 2010 328i M sport and a 2013 X3 2.8i, which we own and are "keepers". We're looking for advice on our X3. So far (47,000), we've had no issues, until this week when we found out the oil pan gasket needed to be replaced - covered under the warranty. We have purchased the maintenance package, but we're wondering if we should buy a an extended warranty package before we hit 50,000.

So - what are the common problems? Should we get it "CPO'd"? If not CPO'd, should we buy an extended warranty package?

Thanks

Fred

#2 ·
Other than hitting an elk (!), so mechanical problems at all at 51k miles and I decided not to go with the extended warranty. A brake job will be needed at some point (probably around $1k) but that would likely not be covered under an extended warranty, anyway, as it's maintenance. Your other vehicles are probably as good an indication as any as to what you may encounter. As with most things like this, it's a crap shoot as far as an extended warranty is concerned.

#5 ·
I fixed it myself with some felt furniture pads. They get compressed over time and have to be replaced. Annoying, and shouldn't happen with a >$40K vehicle, but most of the time can be solved with a simple fix.

You can search on this site for the original post.

#6 · (Edited)
Jeff, where did you put the pads? Can you post a pic or 2? Or PM me. I'm interested in doing the same. The rattling sunroof is a design flaw in the F25. I find that when I retract the headliner cover, the sound virtually disappears. It's also worse in cold weather, which makes sense due to contraction. Thanks.

#7 · (Edited)
Just bought an F25 a couple of weeks ago. As long as you guys promise not to call child services on me, I think I've figured out where my rattle comes from. Drove around with my kid out of her seatbelt, hitting potholes purposely as she put her head close to where she thought the sound was coming from. Temp fix included below. We didn't hear anything after the fix with soft side of Velcro, as seen in pics. I'll have to think of something a little less unsightly for later.

UPDATE: I WAS WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!! Got in the car this morning and the creaking was back. Apparently it just got too warm the day I put my daughter in danger ;). Will Try the fix in the pics by /dev/null below -- which is different than the rocker arms I was trying. THANKS!

Attachments

#8 ·
Just bought an F25 a couple of weeks ago. As long as you guys promise not to call child services on me, I think I've figured out where my rattle comes from. Drove around with my kid out of her seatbelt, hitting potholes purposely as she put her head close to where she thought the sound was coming from. Temp fix included below. We didn't hear anything after the fix with soft side of Velcro, as seen in pics. I'll have to think of something a little less unsightly for later.
I swear, I thought you were going to say it was a loose baby rattle! :rofl:

#9 · (Edited)

Here is a closeup of back corner of the vented sunroof, showing the spring-loaded rocker arm with the felt furniture bumper I added in white. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.

The same area, slightly zoomed out.

Without enough tension on the arms, the sunroof crossbar will rattle or squeak against the glass.

It's certainly a minor design flaw, but in the big scheme of things not a major problem, especially if it can be fixed with a simple step.

#11 ·
Here is a closeup of back corner of the vented sunroof, showing the spring-loaded rocker arm with the felt furniture bumper I added in white. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture.

The same area, slightly zoomed out.

Without enough tension on the arms, the sunroof crossbar will rattle or squeak against the glass.

It's certainly a minor design flaw, but in the big scheme of things not a major problem, especially if it can be fixed with a simple step.
This is the same place I put my sticky felt. Two years ago I put it across the black strip that runs the width of the sunroof; it helped, but didnt solve the issue. This year I put it where Dr. Jeff's pictures show above (his white sticky pad) and it saved the day - no more noise! :freakdanc

#10 ·
48,000 Miles now on a 2013 X3 35i, no breakdown or repair problems at all, most reliable car I've ever had and I owned a 2004 X3 3.0 that lasted 150,000 miles until the transfer case started to give out.

Run flat tires, love them, on my second set of tires current ones being Pirelli P-Zeroes that replaced the original equipment Goodyears that lasted to around 23,000 miles when I replaced them a little earlier than I had to (just for fun). Original Goodyears had one flat at 250 miles (then brand new) that was replaced under tire/wheel warranty...and that's been it for tire issues. Had the rear pads and rotors replaced under warranty as the rear pad sensor was bad and allowed the pads to score the rotors, not a big deal.

Getting around 19.5 MPG on premium (of course), everything, sun roof, transmission, engine, works great, runs like a train. I do around 50/50 street/freeway driving in the S.F. Bay Area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.