BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bluetooth without iDrive?

125K views 49 replies 25 participants last post by  MiniMike20 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I ordered my X1 a few weeks ago and I am anxiously awaiting arrival. I did not order iDrive on my X1. Is it possible to still pair my phone with my X1 and make calls / play audio?

I looked through the manual, but I can only find information detailing how to pair bluetooth with iDrive. I am hoping that I just haven't found the right documentation yet and bluetooth will still work without iDrive.

Thanks!

#42 ·
Holy resurrected thread, Batman. I have enhanced Bluetooth and am still disappointed. It streams audio just fine, but one must use the phone to navigate the music library. Not so cool for trips longer than one album or playlist.

Bavsound makes smartphone adapters for android/iPhone. Might be worth a look for those in need.

I expected better smartphone integration from Bmw. If Siri worked with the steering wheel voice command button I'd be in heaven. It was flawless in a Toyota Avalon I rented last year.

Oh, well. There's no other car in this class which provides the same driving experience. That's what I was after. After upgrading to Bavsound speakers, the sound is excellent. Can't have everything, I guess.

#43 ·
Otto, you seem to have identified many of the same shortfalls that I have with my 2014 X1, some of which I wrote to BMW about.. Yesterday sat in a 2016 and was amazed at how many of the details you identified were changed. The interior is well designed and a big step up for the driver.I must say that I love love love driving the x1 but would like a little more room and better designed cabin. I am hopeful that the upcoming x2 will be the right size for me next with the right details and performance..

#46 · (Edited)
Thread Bump:

I recently purchased a 2014 X1 SDrive28i with the Professional (non-BT for music). To overcome BMW's cheapness I purchased a Tunai Firefly (https://www.amazon.com/TUNAI-FIREFLY-Smallest-Bluetooth-Receiver/dp/B01HDO66NK/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1485993332&sr=1-1&keywords=tunai for $34.99. It had excellent reviews, and I viewed its compact nature as a postive.

Impressions after 5 days:

Small, compact and good price.
Memory for up to 8 BT devices
Will automatically cut off media when a phone call through the BMW system comes through
Automatic connectivity is 75% successful though this may due to operator error (I often start playing music or podcasts immediately, not always allowing time for the phone to speak with the BT)
Unfortunately the USB port in the center console retains power so the Firefly remains on
Not had a problem with this though I am concerned about battery drain if the car isn't driven for multiple days.

Overall I am happy with my purchase, the packaging is small and sleek, and not particularly noticeable. _sl_

#47 ·
Install Google hangout. Start a Google hangout video conference . Then play the streaming audio: YouTube, etc... The audio will play thru the BMW Bluetooth phone connection.

BTW found this by doing a call while goggle maps audio option was on. The maps voice was playing thru the BMW bluetooth connection... so I figured I use free goggle voice hangout conference minutes per say versus the phone minutes...

FYI think it's mono versus stereo though... I was listening to talk radio so no big deal for me...

#50 ·
Depending on the region you are in you can have the Professional Radio without Bluetooth - If you check the spec on the car you will see an option called "Bluetooth Preparation" listed on the extra's. You get the steering wheel buttons irrespective of if you have bluetooth or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.