BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X1 vs X3 specs (weight, length, wheelbase)

48K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  x3ml 
#1 · (Edited)
I took a look at the technical specs of the X1 on the BMW UK website: http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/homepage/

It's amazing that the current X3 and the new X1 are almost exactly the same length, width, wheelbase, and weight.

(Note, I converted from the metric listed on the site to US measures. Also, I expect the X1 28xdrive's weight to be comparable to the current X3's weight.)
It's amazing to me that they're so similar. What does that mean? The new X1 is really an X3. The X3 is expanding to fill the gap left by the X5 which apparently went and bulked up to compete with the Excursion, Navigator, and the Q7.
I guess that's fine, but it sure is confusing from a marketing perspective. But, as long as the they offer the X3, I mean... X1 with a manual transmission and keep navigation as an option (that I can decline), the X1 will be my next car! I think it looks great.

See less See more
#2 ·
X1 vs. X3

I have made the same comparisons and come to the same conclusion. In addition, since the X1 will be built in Leipzig, and the new X3 in Greer, Euro-delivery should be an option at some point for the X1, but not for the new X3. With a wheelbase only 1 inch shorter than the current generation X3, the interior dimensions will hopefully be virtually identical, or maybe even slightly expanded due to being one generation more evolved.

What I can't understand (actually I understand it but don't like it) is why the marketing geniuses at BMWNA won't bring the X1 to the US until after the new X3 is released, when it will actually be in production sooner.

It will be interesting to compare the X1 to the new generation X3 both in the metal, and on the road!

#3 · (Edited)
A couple of thoughts...

Why is BMW NA delaying releasing the X1? Perhaps they're afraid of cannibalization. If the X1 comes out first, some of that pent-up demand will go for the cheaper, lower-margin model X1 that would have gone for the more-expensive, higher-margin X3.

I can't help thinking that the new X3 will be too heavy to be fun. I've driven my neighbor's X5 4.4i and I can really feel the extra 1,000 lbs. The X5 looks and feels more plush, posh, and expensive. It's quieter on the road and isolates the driver from bumps and road imperfections. The problem is that this isolation and weight made driving the X5 rather dull. The X3 while louder, a little harsher, and definitely less posh, is a much more entertaining drive. How much fun can the new X3 be if it weighs 4,800 or more pounds?

Just my $0.02.

#7 ·
I can't help thinking that the new X3 will be too heavy to be fun. I've driven my neighbor's X5 4.4i and I can really feel the extra 1,000 lbs. .
Yes, so true. I enjoyed my 2004 X5, but I don't think I could ever go back now that we've had the X3 experience. For our needs, the current X3 dimensions were just about perfect--and I don't notice that much difference in noise, etc. I'm sure the new, heavier X3 will be appealing to some, but not me.

I'm actually very encouraged to see the X1 stats. My last two BMWs (including the X3) have been Euro Delivery, and I had originally hoped to "refresh" the current X3 the same way. These X1 specs give me some hope that BMW might have a vehicle for us that we can still pick up in Europe. The only challenge I have now is the wait--We may have to try out the Audi if X1 availability drags on.

BTW, what is the height comparison between the X1 and X3? .

#5 ·
Good stats, Walrus...thanks!
Imo, the X1 is going to fill the X3 "spot", as the next X3 is supposedly being
hurried along sooner than previously portrayed; and, the new X3 will be "bigger",
as was the E70 X5 vs the E53 X5.

Mostly marketing/competition niche filling and a chance to jack prices on X3, imo.

Good to read the X1 is wider; next test for me is how many sets of golf bags can I
lay in the rear area, sideways.
GL,mD

#6 ·
Based on past history with other models but with no real evidence, here is a prediction: the US version of the X1 will weigh more than the European version. If correct, this will undo some of the weight savings discussed above.

#9 ·
Just checked the specs for the 5-Series wagon. The new X1 is only two inches taller at nearly the exact same width (but a little over a foot shorter.) Just guessing from the pictures, the difference in height appears to be made up entirely by the higher X1 ground clearance.

5 Series specs:

Length: 191.2
Width: 79.9
Wheelbase: 113
Weight: 4101
Height: 58.7

#16 · (Edited)
Not sure what the expectation is in terms of the X1's pricing. Due for release February 2010 here in South Africa, the X1 line-up will include:

xDrive23d: 2.0 biturbo diesel (200hp; 400Nm); 6spd AT only
xDrive20d: 2.0 turbo diesel (173hp; 350Nm); 6spd AT or 6spd MT
sDrive20d: 2.0 turbo diesel (173hp; 350Nm); 6spd MT
sDrive18i: 2.0 petrol (140hp; 190Nm); 6spd MT

Comparing the xDrive23d X1 price (as released) with the current list price of the xDrive30d X3 (not including optional extras), the X1's price works out roughly 81% of the X3's price. And if your pleased with the X1 you'll pay roughly 10% less (based on the X3's price) for an X1 that will outperform the 3.0 diesel X3 to a 100km/h and do it with far less diesel!!! But of course this comparison is new (X1) versus old (X3). Not sure how these figures will weigh when the new X3 arrives...

In case my mathematics let me down - do the comparison calculation yourself:
xDrive23d will be listed for R435'000 - 0 to 100km/h in 7.3 - 6.3l/100km
xDrive30d is listed for R537'500 - 0 to 100km/h in 8.7 - 10.3l/100km

#15 ·
I'm just quoting the specs as I saw them on BMW's UK website. But here are a few thoughts to put it in perspective:

1) The current X3 is based on the prior 3-series platform. The current 3-series and 1-seriers upon which the X1 will be based are definitely wider than the outgoing 3.
2) I think there was a change in regulations requiring larger side mirrors which could also add to the delta.

At some level, I see your point, but I think it's definitely possible.

#20 ·
Just checked the UK website..

X1 width: 1798 mm

X3 width: 1853 mm

Evidently, either the website has been corrected, or there was miscalculation earlier..

regards,
kyfdx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.