BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The new BMW X1 xDrive28i with BMW TwinPower Turbo

Tags
e84 x1
13K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Axel61 
#1 ·
While the X1 has been delayed coming to the US and there is no guarantee that Americans will get this engine option the thought of a twin turbo four cylinder small SUV it exciting!

With its powerful, sporty and elegant styling, supreme agility, luxurious functionality and innovative equipment features, the BMW X1 is a trailblazer in the premium compact segment in terms of driving pleasure. Yet again BMW has successfully transplanted the BMW X model concept to a new vehicle segment to create a unique product. Now the BMW X1 is breaking new ground, this time in terms of the BMW EfficientDynamics program. The new BMW X1 xDrive28i is the brand's first four-cylinder petrol model with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology, which comprises High Precision Injection direct petrol injection, a charge system based on the twin-scroll principle, double-VANOS variable camshaft timing and VALVETRONIC variable valve control.

Highlights of the The new BMW X1 xDrive28i with BMW TwinPower Turbo
  • World debut of a new generation of BMW 2.0-litre petrol engines; new BMW X1 xDrive28i is the first model to feature this innovative combination of hallmark BMW driving pleasure and efficiency.
  • The first four-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology offers a substantial power upgrade as well as a significant efficiency improvement; rated power: 180 kW/245 hp, rated torque: 350 Newton metres.
  • Closely modeled on the BMW in-line six-cylinder engines, the all-new 2.0-liter engine with all-aluminum crankcase comes with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology featuring high-performance twin-scroll turbocharging system, High Precision Injection direct petrol injection with innovative solenoid injectors, and the latest further enhanced version of the BMW-patented VALVETRONIC variable valve control system.
  • New engine generation constitutes the latest innovative highlight of the BMW EfficientDynamics strategy, 2.0-liter engine with torque upgrade compared to the previous engine and exceptionally low fuel consumption and emissions.
  • Equipped as standard with six-speed manual transmission or optionally with eight-speed automatic; extensive BMW EfficientDynamics features, including Auto Start-Stop function (manual transmission models).
  • New BMW X1 xDrive28i combines even more agility with significant reduction in fuel consumption and emissions; average fuel consumption in the EU test cycle: 7.9 liters/100 km or 35.7 mpg imp (an improvement of 1.5 liters / 5.7 mpg), CO2 emissions: 183 g/km (down by 38 g), acceleration from standstill to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 6.1 seconds (manual transmission) or 6.5 seconds (automatic transmission, down by 0.3 seconds).
  • Standard-fitted intelligent BMW xDrive all-wheel-drive system calibrated for optimized driving dynamics; Performance Control optionally available.
  • M Sports package available as an option for all BMW X1 model versions.
  • Unique vehicle concept in the premium compact segment, typical BMW X styling features and driving qualities, extensive interior adaptability, uncompromising premium quality including outstanding build and materials, upscale interior trim, and innovative BMW ConnectedDrive options that include apps to receive internet radio stations and for in-car Facebook and Twitter use.

For even more details on the new BMW X1 xDrive28i browse BMW's PDF here - http://www.Bimmerfest.com/pdf/The_new_BMW_X1_xDrive28i.pdf

Follow our full E84 X1 coverage at http://www.bimmerfest.com/tag/X1

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Is it just me or does the kidney grill just seem tall on the X1?

Otherwise I think the X1 is an intriguing prospect from BMW. I am much more prone to look at a compact SUV since I prefer a smaller vehicle. I'll be interested in seeing the car in person to have a better perspective on it. :thumbup:

#3 ·
I imagine this new turbo-4 and the regulatory challenges in getting it federalized are why the X1 isn't coming to the states until the fall. It sure looks like a sweet powerplant. The 2.0L direct injected turbo-4 that VW and Audi uses is supposed to be a fantastic power plant. I imagine this one will be far and away better than that one.

-MrB

#4 ·
Nice!

With a manual transmission, this is *obviously* my next car. This is plenty of power and a really compelling package of weight, performance, and fuel economy. I live in Seattle which means I need to parallel park in the city and get to my favorite trail heads on weekends. This is the perfect car/SAV.
But if it's automatic only, then it's simply unacceptable. I don't drive automatics. I'll drive a front-wheel drive VW manual before an AWD BMW automatic. Here's hoping!

-James
Seattle, WA
2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, m-sport, premium, xenons)

#5 · (Edited)
But if it's automatic only, then it's simply unacceptable. I don't drive automatics. I'll drive a front-wheel drive VW manual before an AWD BMW automatic. Here's hoping!
Have you seen the M sport version? Wowzers! :yikes: Very good looking with the M body pieces!

Hopefully the manual will come to the USA.

And I can't help but remember 1998, when I took delivery of my brand-new E36 M3. What a car! 240 freakin' horses! 240!!! Who would ever need more power than that? :rofl:

#14 ·
pilot,

In the X1, from most reports, the front passengers sit in a position pretty much just like a 3 series. It seems reasonable to assume that while the dimensions are similar (save for the fact the X1 is over 10 inches longer), it is set up differently. There are sites that have side by side pics and they're definitely arranged differently.

To others - the turbo 4, btw, is the confirmed engine for the X1 launch. I believe it was autoweek that drove the new X1 with it.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110218/CARNEWS/110219868#ixzz1EzsyMZKn

#15 ·
As I as understand it, the X1 and Countryman have the same platfomr more or less. I sat and drove the Countryman here in Puerto Rico and I was very impressed with it. But Im leaning towards the 335d but I really like the X1, I sat in and test drove a Tiguan so Im looking at the same size

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.