BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X1 aftermarket towing hitch

70K views 105 replies 53 participants last post by  timmyws25 
#1 ·
Hi! Just got my X1 this month and loving it. Great gas mileage I am getting and style in small package.

I would like to add a tow hitch but can not find any OEM application. Are there any aftermarket option for the tow hitch and has anyone in the US install one? I would like to two my bike with it so nothing really heavy. Thanks in advance!

#43 ·
Update to wiring issue

@ daryl
After your staff finally sent me a replacement controller, I plugged it in and it worked fine. You earn one attaboy for sending me a replacement for the bad controller. But you get an aw5hit for the amount of time I had to spend diagnosing this thing with your staff (nearly two months of back and forth and several hours of actual diagnostic activity).

obtw, as a mechanical engineer, I understand your discussion about design trade-offs and respect the design decisions that were made. I probably would have gotten the electrical locking version (if available for the X1) if I'd known of this issue. Perhaps you should make it clearer in the documentation.

#45 ·
I have installed a hitch from Curt, model 13140, on my 2014 28i x-line M-sport. However, you must have the panoramic sunroof, there is a extra cross member underneath it attaches to. You need to be careful with the bumper covers while installing, easy to snap the tabs. Was some what off a task to install! It has a two inch hitch and might look border-line too large for some people. I'm happy with it, I just need to find a BMW or an after market hitch cover I like.

#46 ·
smplee- Yeah we should have definitely handled that better. I'm glad you received the replacement controller and everything is working for you now, but I hang my head over the lack of urgency you received from us in resolving the problem. I will address it internally.

Curttp- The X1 invisihitch is confirmed to fit the 2014 model, and we do not connect to the A-frame member so the crumple zones of the vehicle still do their job exactly as intended in the event of a rear-end collision.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

#47 ·
Thanks for the update. I just did the curt 13140 on a 2014 model and it installed perfectly. Picked up the rivet gun $25 (here in saskatchewan) ahead of time, and other than that and a little care removing the bumper, it was a pretty leisurely 1 hour job (I skipped the regular 1 beer per page of instructions).

#51 ·
The key to installing the Curt modulator is placing it on the correct side. This would be the passenger rear side to avoid the hot exhaust when running the connector plug to the back. (I did not do this and had to cut the plug, run wire leads from the drivers side to the passenger side, drill a whole through the metal, add a rubber grommet, and the reconnect the plug. Just pop both the storage bins out and you'll understand why I started on the drivers side. There is already a a grommet I cleverly ran the wires through and then realized it was to close to the hot exhaust. So after you find a void under the the small storage bin on the drivers side to place the modulator, you will still need to run a wire back over to the drivers side to connect to the drivers side turn signal. There is a channel back behind the large storage divider to run it and the lead to the battery. I used a 12 volt tester to locate the corrected wire to connect to. Just have some one help you press the brake pedal and poke back behind the lighting assembly till you find the correct lead. You can do the turning signals alone. Just turn them on and us the same method. I did not cut the wires, but rather used "quick splice connectors. Look them up online if you have never used them. Let me know if this helped. I also did it with the lower bumper cover off, be careful it is easy to snap off the plastic tabs. BMW poly is questionable. Hope this helps if you need to know the color of wire to connect to let me know.

#53 · (Edited)
X1 Towing

I purchased and installed a Curt tow bar in about 2 hours. I then brought the wiring harness that Curt sent with the tow bar to UHaul. They installed it for $80.00. All in I spent atout $220. The boat is 2,900 lbs (250 tw) and the car tows it like it a champ. As a side note I have the wiring adaptor under the mat in the back. I pull it out and just close the hatchback on it and go.

Attachments

#54 ·
Just picked up a new X1.

Thanks for all the info on this thread. Bought the Curt 13140 hitch and the 56146 wiring kit. Took it to a U-haul place with a full service shop as suggested here and they quoted me $100 to install both.

Took them about 1 3/4 hours to install. They brought the wire up into the rear on the side of the left storage bin for easy access rather than to the outside. That way I can extend the wires and close the hatch on it.

Nice job and hitch looks good and well concealed, barely visible.

#55 ·
Curt 13140 hitch attachement

Just got the Curt 13140 hitch for my 2013 X1 and I plan to install it this weekend.

I was concerned that the metal strap connection to the A frame would compromise the rear crumple zone but it appears you don't actually have to attach that piece of the hitch. The piece appears to primarily transfer the towing force along the length of the vehicle directly to the frame.

Without it the hitch is still attached with four bolts to the bumper mount. I think if your just using it for a bike rack the four bolts should be sufficient.

You just have to remember not to tow anything with the vehicle if you don't install the metal strap to the A frame. That also means you can install the hitch on X1 models without the sunroof if all you are using the hitch for is bikes.

#56 · (Edited)
Just got the Curt 13140 hitch for my 2013 X1 and I plan to install it this weekend.

I was concerned that the metal strap connection to the A frame would compromise the rear crumple zone but it appears you don't actually have to attach that piece of the hitch. The piece appears to primarily transfer the towing force along the length of the vehicle directly to the frame.

Without it the hitch is still attached with four bolts to the bumper mount. I think if your just using it for a bike rack the four bolts should be sufficient.

You just have to remember not to tow anything with the vehicle if you don't install the metal strap to the A frame. That also means you can install the hitch on X1 models without the sunroof if all you are using the hitch for is bikes.
No offense meant here, but let us all be clear on what you have just said. This is someone's opinion and not part of the recommended instructions from the manufacturer.

I personally have installed an aftermarket hitch on a vehicle where this "metal strap" was not included in the hitch design. On that vehicle I had trouble with the hitch sagging over time using it solely for a bike rack on a very light racing cycle. For this reason, I would not recommend leaving any pieces off during your hitch install.

#57 ·
I am biased, of course, and I generally avoid comparisons to cheap aftermarket hitches. But the number of posts in this thread advocating putting a cheap aftermarket hitch on a brand new BMW really surprises me. Again, I am totally biased, but I just cannot see spending $40K or more on a new vehicle and then "saving" $200 by drilling holes in it or strapping something to its A-frame that bypasses the crumple zones. Meanwhile hoping that the wiring doesn't throw an electronic error a year later.

Invisihitch is an OE supplier to BMW, so its X1 hitch has been tested by BMW and certified for the full 4,400 lb towing capacity of the vehicle. The hitch attaches to the vehicle in the only BMW-approved manner, which preserves the rear crumple zones. And the hitch comes with a BMW-specific wiring harness -- also tested and approved. This is the hitch that BMW offers as its dealer X1 hitch overseas; they simply decided not to offer a dealer hitch for the X1 in North America.

Is the cost a little higher than an unapproved aftermarket hitch? Yes. Serious engineering goes into designing a hitch and harness that passes BMW's crash-worthiness and electronics testing. And serious engineering goes into making that same hitch completely undetectable so that the original style of the vehicle is preserved.

Current pricing of the X1 invisihitch is $419 for rack-only applications and $548 for the full tow+rack package with wiring harness, ballmount, and rack adapter all included. There are cheaper alternatives. But really? Really?

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com

Attachments

#58 ·
Current pricing of the X1 invisihitch is $419 for rack-only applications and $548 for the full tow+rack package with wiring harness, ballmount, and rack adapter all included. There are cheaper alternatives. But really? Really?
Daryl, I'm interested in the invisihitch but I only could only find it for $675 (without ballmount): http://execuhitch.com/tow-hitches/bmw-x1-trailer-hitch.html

Is there a better place to order / purchase it?

#60 ·
Last year, I purchased an invisihitch direct from the corporate HQ in Atlanta. They also installed it, quickly and without drama. I just used it last weekend to relocate my daughter. It (35i) pulled a tandem U-Haul trailer, from her University 400 miles home. No issues, damped the trailer hitch rattles and bangs. Was a great success. The 2014 X1 with M package functioned perfectly. Mileage suffered, dipped below 20 mpg at about 60 mph.

#63 · (Edited)
Hidden Hitch Install

I installed a Hidden Hitch 2" receiver hitch and Rearguard bumper guard last weekend. Regarding the Rearguard, just want to say that the X-Line/Sport-Line guard fit my 2014 X1 xDrive28i base model perfectly.

We considered the Invis-Hitch (Execu-Hitch). We opted for the Hidden Hitch because adding a bike rack would be a one step process with as little weight and as few connections as possible (my wife will often be putting the rack on and pulling it off herself).

The Hidden Hitch (and Draw Tight - same hitch) have a towing capacity rated to 3500 lbs and a max. tongue weight of 400 lbs. The Curt is rated to tow 2500 lbs. with a max. tongue weight of 250 lbs. The Curt hitch "requires" top stabilization straps for a "vertical load" such as a bike rack. Hidden Hitch does not require additional straps.

I am very pleased with the quality of the rack but the install was an adventure. On a 2014, the instructions say to remove the two lower trim pieces on the rear bumper. This does not leave you enough room to properly reach the top four bolts attaching the bumper (all six bolts are best reached with a deep socket and an 8" extension - not too mention doing so with a torque wrench or any wrench that would have enough leverage to properly tighten the nuts).

After removing the lowest rear trim piece, it was clear that little more would be gained by removing the second piece of trim. At this point I decided to remove the entire rear bumper. This meant first removing the tail lights and detaching the the rearmost half of the wheel well trim (and punching out two plastic rivets on each side - the entire job required 6 new rivets - Harbor Freight carries a plastic rivet gun that comes with 40 rivets, 10 of which are large enough to be used to re-secure your trim).

I have watched video of the tail lights being removed on a 2012 X1. There are plastic strips of trim on the inside of the lights (covered by the rear hatch) that are pried off to reveal bolts holding on the tail lights. The tail lights on my 2014 X1 appear to have similar pieces of trim hiding the bolts attaching the lights. DO NOT PRY THESE TRIM PIECES OFF, THEY ARE PART OF THE TAIL LIGHT AND PRYING WILL LIKELY BREAK YOUR NEW TAIL LIGHT ASSEMBLY. MY 2014 X1 tail lights attach with three small nuts accessed through small doors on each side of the cargo area near the lights.

Two other notes. The bolts holding on the bumper protrude approx 1.25 inches beyond the nuts threaded onto them. If you are using a socket wrench (and I just don't see doing this job properly with an open ended wrench), a DEEP 18 mm (or 3/4 in) socket is needed to remove and secure these nuts. Also, the instructions suggest you loosen (not remove) the third nut holding the bumper on (the one nut on each side that the hitch does not use). Don't just loosen this nut, back it off until it is at the end of the bolt (leaving it on just enough to hold your steel bumper in place). Doing so allows you to pull the bumper rearward which is the only way I could find to clear the exhaust control valve with the hitch. I positioned the hitch on the bolts and then slipped the additional washers on to the bolts (between the hitch and the frame) one at a time.

It also helps to pull off the left (outside) muffler hanger (in addition to removing the nut holding the inside hanger) so that the muffler can be moved far enough out of the way for the hitch to clear everything.

Taking the entire plastic bumper and both tail lights off was a bit more work (would have been less work if I hadn't followed the instructions to remove the lower trim pieces first) but it allowed me to move the bumper backwards and secure EVERYTHING to spec.

I called etralier.com after this install and spoke with a technician. He said that I wasn't the first to comment on the poor installation instructions. He agreed that the X1 hitch install was one of the more difficult installs. The inadequate instructions didn't help.

Hope this helps (assuming you're still reading this)!

ETA: Upsides are that the hitch is very well made and once in position fits perfectly. Job took about 3+ hours. Backed rear of vehicle onto ramps which helped a great deal with access and getting hitch into position. Pictures to come. _sl_

#64 · (Edited)
After reading TBYD's post, it reminded me of my interest in installing a hitch. I had been looking at a hitch offered by U-Haul, so I decided to compare the Hidden Hitch to that offered by U-Haul. I discovered that one of the two hitches offered by U-Haul is the Hidden Hitch.

Click here for a link to the installation instructions for the Hidden Hitch.

Click here to view the hitches available for the X1. Click on the drop-down box, select the hitch with Max Weight of 3500, then click on the Hitch Installation Guide - Model 75366 to view the installation instructions for the U-Haul hitch part number 75366.

Buying it from U-Haul costs $174.95 for the hitch and $80 for installation which seems very fair to me given a 3 hour installation. Oh and ordering it online there is a $10 discount.

Just thought the community would want to know.

#65 ·
Buying it from U-Haul costs $174.95 for the hitch and $80 for installation which seems very fair to me given a 3 hour installation. Oh and ordering it online there is a $10 discount.

Just thought the community would want to know.
There's nothing on Uhaul's website for a 2014. Is invisihitch the only one that connects aft of the crumble zone? After all my bike and motorcycle crashes, I will gladly pay a little extra for less neck and back pain in the case of a crash.

#66 ·
Aerospike, are you specifying a model as "W/Panoramic Roof"as this is a requirement for a hitch. If this doesn't get you what you need, try another zip code.

Daryl, where can I get a copy of the Invisihitch for the X11? And anyone know who will install an Invisihitch? Will U-Haul install it?

#69 · (Edited)
...anyone know who will install an Invisihitch? Will U-Haul install it?
Anyone/any shop that can remove the rear bumper can easily install the Invisihitch. I did it myself in a couple of hours with no previous experience removing the X1 bumper. It's not difficult.
Additionally, Invisihitch's instructions were for a non-MSport X1 and there were a few differences that I had overcome. Still, not that big of a deal. On a scale of 1-10 I rate it a 2.5.

#67 ·
I've tried my zip code and clicking the link from your previous post (CA zip code?). I don't get the option to specify if I have a sunroof or not. I just select 2014 X35i from the drop down menus and Uhaul's website tells me to take my car to their facility in AZ to make me a custom hitch. :D

#70 ·
Really like the invisihitch/execuhitch concept, but the price is way up there when you consider all the necessary expenses (hitch, ball mount, install, etc). There was a discount offered a while ago on these to Bimmerfest folks. Any chance of seeing another one anytime soon?

#72 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Can someone give me a little help on the aftermarket hitch install? I went with the Draw-tight. I was able to reach everything I needed pretty well after removing the rear bumper lower trim and the plastic under coverings. The problem I am facing is I could not get the hitch to clear the exhaust. I found one exhaust hanger bolt and removed it to try and lower the exhaust and give me a little more room but could not locate the other hanger bolt. Could any of you provide a picture of them? Ive searched for a pic of them but had no luck. Any other tips not already said in this thread that may help? The last hitch I installed was on a Jeep and it was literally just lifting the hitch straight up to the frame and attaching four bolts. The BMW install is definitely more involved.
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.