BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bluetooth without iDrive?

125K views 49 replies 25 participants last post by  MiniMike20 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I ordered my X1 a few weeks ago and I am anxiously awaiting arrival. I did not order iDrive on my X1. Is it possible to still pair my phone with my X1 and make calls / play audio?

I looked through the manual, but I can only find information detailing how to pair bluetooth with iDrive. I am hoping that I just haven't found the right documentation yet and bluetooth will still work without iDrive.

Thanks!

#3 ·
On US models without iDrive, you can pair your phone and make/receive phone calls. However, you will not be able to stream audio through bluetooth. In order to play music you will need to use the Aux port and a 3.5mm cable to connect your phone with your car.

Another option that I am currently playing with is the Blackberry Music Gateway. It plugs into the aux port and a is powered by a micro usb cable and will enable your non-iDrive car to stream music via bluetooth. It works really well for me so far and can be tucked out of sight with very little effort.

#4 ·
This video shows up to pair up phone with radio using Bluetooth. I don't have iDrive either and has the "BMW Professional Radio", exactly like the one shown in this YouTube video. http://youtu.be/EXOSmSou91E.

Once paired, all ringtone, notification (e.g. email, GPS guidance...etc) can be heard via the car speakers. If using the Y-Cable for the iphone, you can control the Music function via the steering wheel controls. However, you cannot play other audio (e.g. Youtube, online radio) once Y-cable is connected. You have to use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable to play those type of audio.

#23 ·
this video shows up to pair up phone with radio using bluetooth. I don't have idrive either and has the "bmw professional radio", exactly like the one shown in this youtube video. http://youtu.be/exosmsou91e.

Once paired, all ringtone, notification (e.g. Email, gps guidance...etc) can be heard via the car speakers. If using the y-cable for the iphone, you can control the music function via the steering wheel controls. However, you cannot play other audio (e.g. Youtube, online radio) once y-cable is connected. You have to use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm audio cable to play those type of audio.
^_+1~

#5 ·
Bluetooth calling is there, but it wont use the phone's address book if you voice dial. You can scroll and manually go through the phonebook to make calls with the steering wheel controls. As mentioned no BT streaming audio.

The only manual online is for the iDrive, the car will come with the proper non-iDrive manual.

#12 ·
Bluetooth calling is there, but it wont use the phone's address book if you voice dial. You can scroll and manually go through the phonebook to make calls with the steering wheel controls. As mentioned no BT streaming audio.

The only manual online is for the iDrive, the car will come with the proper non-iDrive manual.
If it's the same Bluetooth as in my 328i you can program voice commands for selected numbers or you can verbally dial a specific number. It's all in the specific Bluetooth manual that comes with the vehicle.

#7 ·
I also went without the iDrive. Personally, I haven't seen any in-dash navigation/entertainment system that is even close to what I have on my Android. So my plan is to use Bluetooth to make calls and then run the power/aux cable behind the front panel and place my Android where the normal in-dash system would go.

I am a bit disappointed that non-iDrive doesn't allow for bluetooth music streaming. I feel like even the Hyundai(s) I rent on business trips have that, how much more would that have cost BMW to include since I believe it's just a software thing.

#8 ·
I am a bit disappointed that non-iDrive doesn't allow for bluetooth music streaming. I feel like even the Hyundai(s) I rent on business trips have that, how much more would that have cost BMW to include since I believe it's just a software thing.
Totally agree. I bought a new Ford fiesta earlier this year, with only mediocre options, and even that streams music from my phone via bluetooth, and it will begin doing so with a simple voice command. I had simply (and foolishly as it turns out) assumed that certainly, BMW would offer this as standard. After all, it's 2012/13. Streaming music is the new Compact Disc!

I read some posts from another thread which suggested the lack of streaming via bluetooth, is not so much the fault of software, as it is a fault of the head unit on the non-iDrive cars. Need to dig into that more to see if there's any truth to that, and if so... would a simple head unit swap work? Nah... nothing could be THAT easy.

I am taking delivery of my X1 today; it does not have iDrive so it will not stream music. I'm hoping some ingenuity will fix that. At the very least, I'm sure I can find an elegant aftermarket solution.

#10 ·
Hmm... didn't think about the USB angle. Once I get my car, I'll be able to play with it more and actually find out where the USB port(s) is/are. And the aux connector for that matter. While Pandora is great for playing music I don't currently have stored on my hard drive, I think I can find some decent tunes for use with the USB option.

Thanks for the tip!

#13 · (Edited)
Any of you looking to add bluetooth music streaming to your non-iDrive BMW need to look no further than the Blackberry Music Gateway. http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberry-music-gateway/9A172A11438.htm You can also buy this together with a great micro USB charger for only 10 dollars more. This adapter does not have a battery, but will automatically come on with your car when powered via the cigarette lighter. It plugs in to the 3.5mm aux port and is very tiny and able to be tucked away and velcroed to the side or top of the pocket right next to your aux and usb ports.

I have been using this for a week or so and it pairs up flawlessly every single time. I have never had to fiddle with it EVER. It is as OEM of a solution as you can find currently. Because this adapter is considered A2DP only, and has no microphone, your phone will automatically default to using the OEM bluetooth for phone calls. In the case of a phone call, your bluetooth audio will fade out and you will be presented with the call. When the call is ended your music will fade back in and resume just as you would expect via the OEM solution.

My only complaint is that I can very slightly decipher the difference between using the bluetooth adapter and using the 3.5mm wire, as the volume is slightly lower and the sound quality is just a tiny bit worse than when using the wired setup.

All in all, this is currently as good as you can get for a plug and play A2DP adapter that integrates flawlessly with our cars. It truly is a set and forget solution.

I have searched far and wide, and until someone releases an adapter that uses a higher bluetooth version (which will increase sound quality) and still operates as flawlessly as this setup does, I will be sticking with it.

Edit: You can get the entire blackberry music gateway and premium in-vehicle charger for $50.95 shipped if you use the link above and then apply coupon code: TAKE15 (which gives 15% off of your order). That basically means that adding the vehicle charger and using the coupon code makes the vehicle charger free.

#14 · (Edited)
Wow, that looks great! Could this be the solution for streaming music via bluetooth... for only $60?

I wish I'd have known that before buying BMW's little cable for $72, but I'm ordering this setup right now.

Thanks for the tip!

edit: ordering was a cinch... the coupon code worked, and they even honored the free shipping to me in ALASKA. Good deal!

#15 ·
Wow, that looks great! Could this be the solution for streaming music via bluetooth... for only $60?

I wish I'd have known that before buying BMW's little cable for $72, but I'm ordering this setup right now.

Thanks for the tip!

edit: ordering was a cinch... the coupon code worked, and they even honored the free shipping to me in ALASKA. Good deal!
Yep! Keep me posted on how you like it. I like mine a lot.

#19 ·
Well everyone, I received my Media Gateway kit yesterday and for the most part, it's a huge step in the right direction! Now, instead of having to connect my phone via cable to the car's stereo, i simply press "play" on my Pandora app, and then this kit takes over and channels my music into the stero system. The phone can stay in my coat pocket from that point forward.

A few observations:

Connecting my phone and its music in this manner, means losing the ability to skip songs via the steering wheel or radio buttons. When I had my phone connected via cable, I could still accomplish this. When using the media gateway however, I must use the phone itself to skip tracks. It's a minor inconvenience as I don't skip much, and it still certainly pales in comparison to the hassle of having to connect my phone via cable every single time. You will also lose the ability to see your song information on the radio display.

Fortunately, the volume buttons on the steering wheel still work to control the volume. I initially had a problem with the volume being too quiet on the streaming music, so I would respond by turning the volume up. But then if I changed sources to the radio, for example, suddenly it would be TOO loud. As it happens, the AUX mode on the BMW's radio comes with its own volume adjustment. When in AUX mode, you should see one of the radio buttons on the bottom labelled with "VOL ADJ" or some such; i adjusted this up a few ticks and now my volume matches other sources perfectly.

This device itself is tiny; it's smaller than a box of tic tacs. The cords required to hook it up to the aux jack, and the power cord for charging, are the real problems. It's easy enough to tuck all this away into the storage tray next to the inputs, but I'm going to explore options involving routing the cords underneath the trim and to an out-of-the-way place where I can also keep the gateway. Once it's been set up, there's no need to ever touch it again so it need not be accessible.

Phone calls are handled the same as before; if you are streaming music via this device and you receive a call, the music quits out and the car's bluetooth takes over. When the call is done, the music returns with no intervention needed from the driver.

All in all, despite losing a few minor things, the overall improvement was well worth the $50.

#20 ·
I think you did a great job explaining the functionality of this device. One thing I would like to add, though, is that your comparison is with the iPhone. My android phone unfortunately never has had the ability to be controlled via steering wheel (with the exception of volume) on our non-iDrive BMWs.

#21 ·
Hmm, interesting.

I only had limited steering-wheel-button functionality; if I recall, I could skip to the next track by pressing "down" or replay the current track by pressing "up". But that was it. Then if I had Pandora playing, sometimes the buttons would not skip the track on Pandora but instead start playing the songs stored in my phone. It seemed 50/50 on whether I'd get the next Pandora song, or be bumped over to my stored songs. Because of that, it was almost useless... if your Android device never allowed for this "feature", then I don't think you were missing out on much!

#22 ·
anyone tried Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver?

I have a 2014 X1 without iDrive, and an iPhone 5. Bluetooth works great for calls, etc, but not for music and I get why -- they chose not to enable bluetooth audio streaming for the "Professional" Radio.

I see that many of you have suggested the Blackberry Music Gateway. Before I buy one of those, has anyone tried the Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver instead? It's half the price, and also seems to somehow not require a separate power input, which would leave the USB port free to charge the iPhone itself...

thx!

#24 ·
Damn, I think I just realized that the Belkin unit requires AC power. Doh.

I have a 2014 X1 without iDrive, and an iPhone 5. Bluetooth works great for calls, etc, but not for music and I get why -- they chose not to enable bluetooth audio streaming for the "Professional" Radio.

I see that many of you have suggested the Blackberry Music Gateway. Before I buy one of those, has anyone tried the Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver instead? It's half the price, and also seems to somehow not require a separate power input, which would leave the USB port free to charge the iPhone itself...

thx!

#30 ·
Help!

So I recently purchased a BMW 328i (without idrive) and can't configure my bluetooth! I watched the video posted on this thread & when I go to my "menu", there isn't a "phone" option! Only computer & settings (I think).

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or could help me!

#31 ·
So I recently purchased a BMW 328i (without idrive) and can't configure my bluetooth! I watched the video posted on this thread & when I go to my "menu", there isn't a "phone" option! Only computer & settings (I think).

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or could help me!
Edit/Delete Message

#32 ·
As I understand it, you have to have the Premium package to get the Bluetooth for the phone.

When you hit the MENU button, it should look like this Car Vehicle Vehicle audio Electronics Technology

Also, the area around the map lights should look like this. If you don't have the SOS button, then you don't have Bluetooth.

Vehicle Car Technology Multimedia Electronic device

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#33 ·
As I understand it, you have to have the Premium package to get the Bluetooth for the phone.

When you hit the MENU button, it should look like this View attachment 390791

Also, the area around the map lights should look like this. If you don't have the SOS button, then you don't have Bluetooth.

View attachment 390792

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
So what exactly would the phone button on the steering wheel & the one near the radio be for?

#35 ·
Regarding the blackberry device, is the cigarette lighter necessary? I am looking for a solution that wouldn't require external wires. If the device needs to be plugged into the cig lighter at all times, and then also plugged into the aux port under the arm rest, I imagine the tangle of wires would get annoying. Can it be charged via the usb port next to the aux port under the arm rest?

#41 ·
Hey there, bimmerheads,

I bought my bmw x1 2013 last year (used) thinking i will get a nice car that is reliable and specially smartly built.
this is what i think about it so far, this is especially helpful for people wanting to buy it, some of the things are already cover in prior posts but I'' try to cover everything here because it has made me really frustrated in comparison with other cars i owed in the past (hyundai santa fe, chrysler seebring, Honda accord, and audi a4 Sline) and other that i just rented for long periods of time.
lets start with the ups:
great response (above 2000rpm anything bellow is very slow) and has a lot power for a small engine (x28i) can quickly reach the 120 mark. So faster than most cars in its category.
Cumsumptionwise it is ok because i'm a bit heavy on the pedal it still gives me arround 14l/100 I think this is the only thing going for it and i mean it here. I could trade it in for an audi or even a hyundai without loosing much value i would, but that is not possible because its price has crashed from the June last year till now the price of similar x1 (40k km) has dropped buy more than 20% for the same milage. my car now has almost 50k.
The trunk has decent space
the gearbox has an amazing look and its 8 speed, it feel great in your hand too.
the outside look is also nice.
Next comes the bad things or where it really how little bmz thought when making this car:
other than the fact that it is made of recycled part of older bimmers ,
the space inside is tiny, and im not a big guy, the back space is ridiculous if you are tall
the engine sounds like a diesel truck and is specially loud when starting it in the morning.
the seats are not comfortable and wear quickly with their fake leather,
The only car that i have driven that drops water from the windows if you crack the window open and it's raining outside. and it feels as if someone is pouring water on your door. hell the water from the wiper would come all come thru your window.
the central console if very badly designed and can hardly be used for storing anything.
there is a button in the steering wheel that controls the ac which is amazingly useless , they should've put a scan radio instead or put the steering heat there.
you can never now if the wiper auto function is on or off because it is hidden same thing goes for the steering heat button.
there is another useless option of holding a speed while going down hill, I say just use the breaks as it comes equipped with brakes and give a useful option instead.
This car come with no decent option ( i did buy the standard one ) but so are a lot of the cars i tried before and they were standard options.
The key placement is ridiculous, and it shows if you try to take your key after you got out of the car.
the trunk tail is very heavy and after trying many cars i think it should go up by itself.
I know that some may say then go buy a hyundai instead, and frankly value for money this bimmer if the worst.
the bluethooth works for the phone calls but not the music (every other car in the market has bluetooth streaming... :(
the usb slot can't charge my phone properly because i have and samsung s5 and so if i use the map on myphone and its charging but the battery is already low it will go off while charging...
anyway the only time this car makes me feel happy is when i press on the pedal for everything else I feel a fully loaded santa fe , or standard q5 or many other cars would've been a better choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.