BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Transmission malfunction warning

18K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Jellystone 
#1 ·
Hi, I am getting a transmission warning message in my 2016 X3 35i. I can still drive it but weird things are happening like popping out of drive and going into park at stoplights and the engine shutoff is not working like it used to. The maintenance light lit up also. I took it to the dealer and they said the battery was low, don't think so since I use a battery conditioner to keep it fully charged. They said they reset the codes but it gave me a warning again but no maintenance light. Has anyone seen this type of message. I love my X3 but don't really feel like living at the dealer.

#2 ·
Never heard of this - back to the dealership and have them keep the car until it's fully repaired. You shouldn't have to put up with this. If they are unable to repair it, get in touch with Customer Service at BMW NA in Montvale NJ. They'll help you out - and get a nice loaner while you're at it! Good luck.

#7 ·
I am not sure but I think it is battery charge related, so I use a battery conditioner.
Thanks Bluesman for the reply. Your battery conditioner may be causing the problems. Try not using it and see what happens. As you know, we have alternators in the car which should keep your battery charged up all the time. I've never used a battery conditioner and my batteries have worked just fine in all my cars over the last 50 years.

Joe:)

#8 ·
Transmission malfunction warning gone

Joe, how many BMW's have you had? In the owners manual it tells you to charge the battery if you drive short distances where the alternator can't keep up. When I dropped my X3 at the dealer last Friday the first thing they did was charge the battery and I had just driver over 200 miles. I think the next time I bring it to the dealer I will ask for a charging check. Thanks for your response.

#9 ·
Joe, how many BMW's have you had? In the owners manual it tells you to charge the battery if you drive short distances where the alternator can't keep up. When I dropped my X3 at the dealer last Friday the first thing they did was charge the battery and I had just driver over 200 miles. I think the next time I bring it to the dealer I will ask for a charging check. Thanks for your response.
Hi Bluesman,

I've had three other Bimmers over the years. A 325e, a 540i and a 735. All of them have been driven the same way, mostly short trips with an occasional 50 mile trip. We've never had any problems with our batteries. But, things do change and maybe BMW is not putting in the same quality of parts that it used too. I was not aware that the manual asks you to charge the battery if you are using your car around town. I'd still have them check your charging system to make sure that it is operating properly. Life is full of changes isn't it?

Regards,
Joe:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.