BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Which 3 series would be the better choice

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  raphen325i 
#1 ·
Ok so I can roughly afford $16k I was thinking of getting a 2006 330i sedan with 80k+ miles and then buy a bumper to bumper extended warranty.
Or the other option is to get a 2007-2008 328i sedan with under 70k miles but not be able to get the warranty because this car already costs $2-3k more than the 2006 330i

Need some opinions on the better option. Im thinking the older higher mileage one with a 2yr bumper to bumper that way I have piece of mind if something goes wrong.

#4 ·
Maintence like brakes and tires and such?

You've done no pre-purchase mech inspection/evaluation? Can't base decision on anything concrete, so my opinion is: None.
That wasn't too much help. This was a in general question to see which would be the better option. How can I do any inspection yet when Im not too sure which car I want to go after. higher mileage and warranty or lower mileage with no warranty

And what am I supposed to do go to a dealership for a bmw and then ask them to have another mechanic look at it and pay them to look at it?

I feel aslong as I go to a dealership that has a great reputation than I SHOULD be ok as far as them not scamming me on a car that. But if I get the bumper to bumper warranty what is there to worry about?

#5 · (Edited)
Yes, brakes and tires and such.

I would definitely choose the 330i. It is a real gem.

Shop carefully and get a pre-purchase inspection done. If you go to a dealership that has a GREAT reputation then you may be ok regarding the PPI. The ones where that would apply are few and far between. Yes, in most cases tell the seller you want to get your own mechanic to check the car. Yes, generally you pay. Here is a link to shops that specialize in Bimmers, www.bimrs.org. Post links here to cars you're interested in and we can give opinions. Good luck.

#7 ·
I would definitely agree with ttureraider. If it is a reputable dealer and you can get a BMW Certified Pre Owned Warranty, then I see no downside to the deal. Traditionally BMW dealers who certify their pre owned get the vehicles back up to factory specs. It's the Independent Dealer selling you a BMW and an Aftermarket non BMW brand warranty that becomes an issue. My thought process is if you're going to buy a German Pre Owned, it's best to buy from Certified Dealer UNLESS for some reason you are stealing it on a private sale.:thumbup:

#8 · (Edited)
Getting a mech who specializes in BMWs is best. Check the link I posted for the area where the car in question is located.

I have a third party, comprehensive extended warranty from www.TierOneWarranty.com. That is the actual warranty company. They don't sell directly to the public, but they can refer you to one of their representatives.

You're probably not going to find a CPO car in your price range, so you'll just need to shop carefully.

My 270 hp would at the crank. I have a flash tune from Active Autowerke.

#11 · (Edited)
That's an ///M3 replica bumper. You can pick one up that would require painting for about $350.

That's a very nice looking 5er. That's the kind of car you want to find. Don't know much about reliability of that model. Check out the E60 forum for more info. I would be very interested in that car, even though it's not a 3er.

Are you in Springfield, IL?

#12 ·
Just a question / suggestion ..... who is going to work on these cars for you ..... ?

Even if nothing major breaks you will need surprisingly expensive "little things" and maintenance that will make the annual cost of ownership $1500 to $2000 or more.

A trusted, local indy .... can do the ppi for you, make well informed suggestions on models, and keep her going after you buy.

We have a 10 year old 330i in the family with 120,000 miles that is a wonderful car but does get into your wallet at times!

#13 ·
My 2006 330i has almost 85,000 miles. Since it's been out of warranty I've had two unforseen repairs. Each about $500. I added a transmission maintenance service to the second repair for an additional $300. Maintenance wise I've diy'd the front brakes and am about to do the rear brakes. I'm also going to have to replace the tires soon, which will be between $900 - $1,200, depending on what tires I choose.

#14 · (Edited)
Well Id hope I can do most of the maintence myself. I dont know how much more difficult it is to get to things in a BMW versus my vette or my duramax.

But lets talk about typical maintence stuff that adds up to $2k a year.

Tires, brake pads, rotors, maybe shocks/struts,
Are spark plugs hard to get to?
Not sure if they have coil packs or if its direct plug in.
My vette Ive had to change wires a couple times from the headers burning through the wire.

Is it true that you have to remove the front bumper to take off the headlights?

And my buddy is telling me its a pain to change the oil lol, how can it be a pain to change the oil.

Im in Springfield, MO

And Im really up in the air on if I want a 3 series or a 5. I love how a 3 looks with a body kit but a 5 looks great with an M5 replica kit too. The interior of a 5 feels so much more roomier and luxury, but do I want to give up 7mpg more to get a more powerful more luxuries 5?
Yes I know there is a 530i but that'd be just too slow for more.

#15 ·
Well Id hope I can do most of the maintence myself. I dont know how much more difficult it is to get to things in a BMW versus my vette or my duramax.
Well.... you have a low ground clearance vehicle. The petite BMW might be a bit less accessible than the Vette.

Duramax luxuriously spacious by comparison & ya don' gotta lift it t'slide under.

BMW-wise, you're much better off with a lift.

#17 · (Edited)
Except for the low clearance there isn't a car on the planet that has an easier oil change than a Bimmer. And bimmers are quite diy maintenance friendly. You will have no problems. I don't think you have to remove the bumper to remove the headlights, but I'm not sure. Why remove the headlights?

BMWs have coil packs. On the inline six motors (best on the planet!) the back spark plugs can be difficult to access.

You can get an M Sport body kit for under $1k. There is a guy on here now who has a new one he's asking $800 for, negotiable. The 3er is a more sporting sedan to drive than the 5er. But, that 5er you posted looks to be in great condition and that's more than half the battle when buying used.

#18 ·
Although you may have already got what you were looking for may I add my 2cents?

No? Well here it is anyway:p

Since you got the sport car and a truck I would get the 5 series. Just because I feel the 3series is more of a sports car and you already got one. I am 6'3" and have trouble getting in and out of my 3series, since it's not a daily driver commuter I don't mind it so much. If I had a typical 9-5 5days a week I would have sold the 3series within a month of doing all that in and out. I think the 5 would be a bit better; more sedan like with a bit more ground clearance. Also I like the heavier weight of the 5, gives it a bit more solid feel than the lighter 3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.