BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Valve Cover Removal Challenges

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Medicus 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2007 650 E64 and decided to tackle the valve cover gasket and timing cover gasket. The info on the forum and the TIS have been invaluable.

I have removed a lot parts in an attempt to get the valve cover off, but still can't get the valve cover over the eccentric shaft sensor. I have attached a few pictures to show what I am dealing with. It gets bound up between the plastic wire harness, firewall and fresh air vent. Seems like I have to be missing something.

The TIS refers to a centre engine compartment partition wall. I am not 100% sure what that is. If that is the plastic duct that includes the cabin filters then it is removed.

Seems like I have to remove the fresh air duct, but I don't see that in the TIS. Want to make sure before I tear into that!

I appreciate all your input. At the point that I keep pushing it and I afraid I am going to snap the essentric shaft sensor. :dunno:

#3 · (Edited)
Yes that is all that you need to do its a PITA to put back on though. Easiest way that I found to pull out the valve cover was a screw driver in the oil dip stick tube with mild pressure angle the cover up towards the fender until it clears the oil tube. Then pull up just a little until you are over the sensor. Once you get that far just pull it straight towards the front and it will be out. Also when putting it back in make sure that the bottom bolts thread on first. I ran into problems with the cover sitting on properly. If you have any issues with bolts then something is off. I had to do mine again because it wasn't on properly.

#5 ·
It's been a while but I believe that there were only 2 nuts holding the cover and then it pulled out. I could not get the value cover off by myself I needed 2 people. When I did it I had to rotate it towards the fender in order to clear the sensor. I hope that this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.