BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Loud Squealing Noise

72K views 179 replies 45 participants last post by  Bilzer81 
#1 · (Edited)
Loud Squealing Noise - UPDATE

My car has less than 6k mi on it and I have noticed on several occasions that when I cold start my car, I hear a loud squealing/screeching noise that sounds a lot like a fan belt slipping. I first heard the noise while creeping along in slow moving traffic, but I was in denial at that point that the hideous noise I was hearing was actually coming from my car. Now after hearing it several times at start up to include this past Sunday, I can say with confidence this despicable noise is in fact emanating from my car. :eek:

I plan to take it in to the dealer, but I was curious if any of my fellow "d" owners has encountered a similar issue. :dunno:

#157 ·
Well, today for the first time I heard a squealing noise just after starting my car. AC was on when I started the car. As it turns out, my dealer is picking up my car on Tuesday for the emissions recall so I will ask them to check it out. Any suggestions if I should say anything more specific based on experiences with other 335d's? I am guessing it is a belt. What else? Thanks.

#159 ·
Oh, they know about it now. I think if you complain they will find the campaign and replace the belt for you, assuming they don't find another problem like a bad compressor or puller wheel.

I complained, brought it in and they knew just what to do. I don't think they tested it out to see if it did it or not. I recall they mentioned a campaign or SIB about it.

#162 ·
Mine was fixed last summer and just started to squeal again this week. Not sure if I will address it, since I am trading in in on the X5 in a couple of weeks.

#164 ·
Ugh, after leaving the car with the dealership 3 days for the EGR recall, just 4 days later, my AC belt just started to squeal.
I know it's the AC because when I turn the AC off it stops complaining.

So back it goes.

#165 ·
I had the pulley/belt replacement done last year and no problems since then. However, before they did the actual fix, the other dealer I had gone to had me come in three times and still couldn't fix it... they blamed it on numerous things including the AC compressor, which they replaced unnecessarily.

#166 ·
I had a belt replacement last summer. I started to get the squeal again when on MAX setting. Took the car in for the recall and told them about the squeal. The replaced the belt while doing the recall.

Last summer, they did not have an approved BMW belt, but apparently this year they do.

#171 ·
I had a belt replacement last summer. I started to get the squeal again when on MAX setting. Took the car in for the recall and told them about the squeal. The replaced the belt while doing the recall.

Last summer, they did not have an approved BMW belt, but apparently this year they do.
Just had the squeal return today after the car was sitting in the sun and I immediately went to MAX on the A/C. The car was serviced roughly a year ago for the initial fix. Going back for the Emissions recall and will tell them its loaner car time......lol! :rofl:

#167 ·
Just had EGR recall work performed and they were also able to reproduce the AC belt squeal (my yearly service is in late Fall and by then it was too cool to duplicate last year). Unfortunately they didn't have the belt in stock and would have to order it. I suggested we wait until the next service as I hate having to bring my car in more than the squeal . . .

On my work order it references SIB 64 08 11 regarding the belt.

#168 ·
Just had EGR recall work performed and they were also able to reproduce the AC belt squeal (my yearly service is in late Fall and by then it was too cool to duplicate last year). Unfortunately they didn't have the belt in stock and would have to order it. I suggested we wait until the next service as I hate having to bring my car in more than the squeal . . .

On my work order it references SIB 64 08 11 regarding the belt.
My car went in for the emissions recall today and I mentioned a belt squeal. My SA called a few minutes ago and said they changed the belt but are awaiting parts for the emissions recall. Car should be ready tomorrow.

#170 ·
I had this belt noise (occasionally) for over a year (2011 335d, 31 K miles). The noise was usually present when the car set a whole day in the sun, and lasted for ~ 10 sec after the A/C was turned on. I took the car to the dealer (late) last year - they could not duplicate the problem.
I took it again a couple of weeks ago when it was really hot here, and the dealer replaced the tensioner of the main serpentine belt Why??? The symptoms returned after few days and I took the car back to the dealer (third time)
Apparently, the A/C system has a separate, short belt between the c'shaft and the A/C compressor pulley that apparently has no adjustment and a so called "flexi-belt" (stretchable belt) has to be used. (I saw pictures of our engine showing a separate belt for the A/C compressor, but it's hard to say if there is a provision for the belt tensioning or not)
My car had a regular belt installed (why??). Dealer replaced the belt (w/ a flexibelt), and so far so good - but it's only few days since I have the car back and it's not that hot in Chicago right now.
I will keep you guys posted.

#172 ·
I am assuming this is strictly a 335d issue and not in the X5 35d?

#175 ·
I updated both threads I started on the matter. Anyway, here's the latest....

As I expected as the summer progressed and the hotter and more humid it got the dreaded squeal returned with a vengance! I could not take the embarassment anymore, so I dropped the car off at the dealer this morning and I gave the SA the part number for the aftermarket belt (MultRib 325K-4 made in Korea) and said this is what fixed the problem for other d owners. We shall see....

In the meantime I have a boring boat of an F10 528 w/that aweful stop/start feature to abuse until I get my precious diesel back. :D

#177 ·
As memtioned above, I took the car in for the 3rd time for dreaded belt squeal. Dealer had it ready to go with the installed aftermarket Korean belt 24 hours later, but asked if they could keep it one more night to make sure there was no issue at start-up the next day - no problem! Picked it up yesterday and all is good so far!

While at the dealer I complained of brake pulsing so the dealer also REPLACED my front rotors and brake pads despite having another 22k mi to go (according to computer) on the existing pads.

I also complained about the mpg decrease since having the emissions recall performed (egr replacement and repgoram) and the SA stated everything appeared to be operating within in spec, but that they will document the problem and that perhaps BMW will investigate if they receive enough complaints - so for everyone else COMPLAIN if you are seeing similar results since having the EGR work performed. It sucks that I am now getting high teens mpg city.

#178 ·
The dreaded A/C squeal is back! I was picking up my car from service and the runner went to grab my car, which had been sitting in the sun, and BAM, the squeal was back. I actually did a double take to see if there were any other cars that could be making a noise, but was sorely dissapointed. I asked the runner if he pushed MAX AC and he said yes.

Make a long story short, I left the car for another week. This is my 3rd time in for the same issue......Im starting to think alot of the mechanics aren't competent. Luckily my SA was promoted to Manager so I will make sure to run any continuing issues by him.

#179 ·
I don't mean to bump such an old thread, but I believe I am having a separate problem. My "squeal" isn't really a "sqeal," it's more of a consistent chirping noise. It isn't present on cold startups, or any startups to be specific. It is only there when the fan for the AC is on low-medium. When the fan is completely off, it's silent, but it will also go away when the fan is on full blast. It doesn't seem to come from the engine compartment, but rather from somewhere behind the instrument cluster, under the dash. It is very loud and very annoying, and it will stay as long as the AC is on. Help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.