BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

others with the 6 cyl 3.0, how well does your car run at over 120 mph?

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  tcbDE 
#1 ·
others with the 6 cyl 3.0 (mine is the 2001 530i, with M-Tech factory suspension), how well does your car run at over 120 mph? I ran a while over 120mph. The car exhaust came alive, and the intake was working it. (Under acceleration, it was getting a bit racy in the cabin with the engine and exhaust. I have completely stock factory exhaust and intake.) The handling was superb. But, mine also has the (factory) M-Tech suspension. Very low and stiff. I also have the Steptronic Auto trans. All was well. I have a lot of quiet back roads where I live. I would think that without the suspension package I would not feel as comfortable bringing it up to speed (it only took a few seconds). The brakes work very well, but it is still a large car to slow down, even with slotted rotors. Don't go breaking the law just to try to do it, I am just asking those that have ran higher speeds.

#2 · (Edited)
You're asking specific to the 3.0 but two days back I took my 2.8 (184K miles) for a long drive and quite a bit of it at 140mph:D It was a little racy in the cabin alright but the handling was great. Mine is a '97 528 standard suspension running 17in wheels staggered setup and replaced the springs with 530 sports springs.The shocks/struts are koni sports adjustable at 1/4 turn from soft front/rear. I recently did a complete suspension overhaul.

#3 ·
The exhaust basically went from quiet, tame, to a tiger when getting into the high speeds... it can't be replicated at just high rpm, at lower speeds... IMHO

#5 · (Edited)
Haven't gotten mine over 85 yet, the rear right tire is not well and i don't want to push it until I can get a new set (and do a trans fluid change). But... Stock 540 solid as a rock at 85. Slides down the road. Had a great big Lincoln SUV try and close the door on me at about 75 on the way to work this morning. As I was passing her she decided to speed up to keep me from crossing in front of her to an open lane. This car passes great! She evaporated in the rear view mirror, stuck behind the slow moving traffic. She never had a chance. ;)

doc

#6 ·
I've done 134 gps certified. I kept running out of road. It takes a while to gain speed when about 130 is reached.

#13 · (Edited)
I think the N American models may have been limited to 125 or 130 mph (see http://media.caranddriver.com/files/2003-audi-a6-27t-quattro-vs-bmw-530i-infiniti-m45-jaguar-s-type-30-lexus-gs300-lincoln-ls-v-8-m-b-e320magnificentnotquites-3.pdf). I have a German-delivery 530iA, and I have no noticeable decrease in acceleration at 210 km/h (130 mph) as you report. Granted, the two models have slight differences in calibration (231 170 kW/231 PS/228 bhp and 300 Nm/221 lb-ft for Europe), and the max speed of 244 km/h (151.6 mph) is hardware related. The manual-equipped model tops out at 250 km/h (155 mph).

And, yes, legally cruising at 130+ for long stretches on smooth German roads is quite fun :)

#7 · (Edited)
These cars built for autobahn so its normal for them to keep 80-120++ MPH speed for a long time .
One of the reasons why they hold superb on such a high speed is a drive shaft - differential connection , - diff and shaft are not completely parallel to each other .
it is designed in angle to offset torque twisting during acceleration ( so that the angles are flat under power or a high speed 120MPH ++ )

so it basically drives much better doing 120PMH than 70MPH hehe ;)

#9 ·
One of the reasons why they hold superb on such a high speed is a drive shaft - differential connection , - diff and shaft are not completely parallel to each other
That's interesting!

#11 ·
I still have never put mine to the floor. Only down enough to get it purring. It jumps out of the hole and passes effortlessly. I know it is the 6 cylinder, but again, it is city streets, and not our private playground. And, even with a high top end, one would not want to hold it open for long, as it is meant to cruise at 100-120 mph. Also, there are few places it is safe to drive so fast. Here in the USA. Even with wide open areas, wildlife, a rock, or anything can ruin the day. We have lots of deer and wildlife. I always see people here with bashed in front ends from deer. I have been lucky.

#12 ·
Fastes I've ever hit was 137 in the 528i it felt like it had more but I couldn't get it. This is nebraska running out of road never happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.