BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Diesel Chips

35K views 239 replies 48 participants last post by  joeincs 
#1 ·
Anyone done any research into chip sets for the 335d? I knows there are several available in Europe, buy haven't yet found any for the US.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Are they kidding? Did I read that correctly? 340HP and 500+ Torque. That is more than my 2500 Cummins Turbo Diesel well close.

What is the exchange rate? Will it work in the US vehicles? I should probably do more homework on it.

You have to get the M package now! :thumbup:

#5 ·
I don't have a "chip" but I have an AC Schnitzer Diesel Power Upgrade. It actually came with the car... Otherwise, it is a 2200 Euro extra from ACS.

According to the TÜV paper work I have, it was installed by a BMW dealership's service department in München, in 2007.

265hp and 600Nm of torque. When the turbo is spooled up in 3rd, and you get on it, you can really get a rush!

Top speed so far was 253km/h (about 150 MPH), and that was with the E61 stuffed full of luggage, souvenirs, cases of beer, and other extra weight. :D

#8 ·
Updating this with some information that I put in the General 335d thread:

Terry @ BMS (same guy that does the JB+ and JB3 tunes) has a working prototype for the 335d/x5 35d. I went and had him install it yesterday, and I've been driving around on it for about 200 miles so far. There is a *distinct* difference in feel, and it's easily adjustable. I'm not going to show you what it looks like, because I don't have permission yet, and I'm not sure what Terry does and doesn't want you to see.

I currently have it at at around 75-80%, and man, it's FUN. We'll be going to dyno the car later this week, once the car's settled into the tune, and I'm eager to see the results. Terry did quote me some general numbers about how much more torque/HP the tune provides at 100%, but again, I'd rather not toss those out just yet.

Also, my trip there was 120 miles, and I averaged about 40MPG, give or take. The trip back, post tune, was pretty much identical, as I'm sure that's going to be a question asked. I can't make real determinations until I start taking it back and forth to work a couple of times, but I wanted to give some first impressions.

For those of you interested, these are huge strides in the right direction, and waiting for Terry to do his tune vs. VAC or DTUK's (no offense to either company, mind you) I feel is well worth it.

Count on me posting a more full evaluation once the dynos are done, I can post stock vs. tuned #'s, and I have Terry's permission to put out specifics....this should all be later this week.

#9 ·
I understand you can't give out specifics but don't leave us hangin' on only "I currently have it at at around 75-80%, and man, it's FUN." Can you at least tell us where in the rpm range you're, without a dyno check, feeling the change? :dunno:

#10 · (Edited)
#12 ·
Reposting from 335d thread, for good measure:

So, what's sure to be a point of interest, I've been paying attention to my gas mileage to see if things have changed with Terry's prototype.

On my way to work today, I decided to make sure I paid attention to my gas mileage, post tune, just to see if there were any adverse affects. I was mildly surprised at what I saw by the time I got to work. I'm going to keep track throughout the tank, and see if this stays consistent. Note that this morning's drive was no different than any other morning's, and I didn't drive any differently than I normally would, and I have never, since having this car, seen these types of results.

I'm obviously taking things with a grain of salt...but the drive back on Saturday showed similar results, and even after driving it pretty hard yesterday, the tank still showed 26.3MPG on fill-up this morning (my video a few posts up is a small example of what I was doing yesterday).

Quick video for good measure (slightly earlier than when the pics were taken)

Attachments

#13 ·
C'mon STUG, you were either going down hill at 80mph or tailgating an 18 wheeler!:yikes:

#14 ·
Honest to God I wasn't...rofl!

On the way home, the # dropped, though.

I'm now looking at about 46MPG and 700 miles to this tank.

Day 1 complete. :)

#15 ·
Day 2

Attachments

#17 ·
I advise against believing what the computer tells you for MPG. My E90 average mpg display often overstates my actual mpg significantly.

That said, how can a tune simultaneously increase power and economy? I have to be skeptical here - there are only so many btu's per gallon and they have to go somewhere. Either some of that energy was not getting burned in the stock setup (doubtful) or somehow the tune converts more heat to motive energy (also doubtful.)

I would buy that it is possible to get the same mileage with a tune assuming identical driving (which is probably hard to do when you have all that power available.)

51 days to ED 335d - I can't wait!

#21 · (Edited)
I advise against believing what the computer tells you for MPG. My E90 average mpg display often overstates my actual mpg significantly.

That said, how can a tune simultaneously increase power and economy? I have to be skeptical here - there are only so many btu's per gallon and they have to go somewhere. Either some of that energy was not getting burned in the stock setup (doubtful) or somehow the tune converts more heat to motive energy (also doubtful.)

I would buy that it is possible to get the same mileage with a tune assuming identical driving (which is probably hard to do when you have all that power available.)

51 days to ED 335d - I can't wait!
What doesn't lie is the gas gauge....ignore the figures if you want, but the gas gauge won't lie, nor will my fill-up when the time comes. This is the same drive I've been taking since I've had the car, and I have never, ever seen these types of results, and only one thing has changed since I've been getting them. Hell, feel free to see every single one of my fill-ups:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/ronin/335d

My computer has been damn near nuts on for all 20 or so fillups I have done. Others have said similar results, I'd trust it. As far as gaining economy, I have seen that with diesel trucks before so long as the person is not using the new found power all the time.
As has mine....you can ignore the MPG, but the average speed is pretty spot on (takes into account *any* time that the engine is running, regardless of what you're doing).

My computer has been within a 0.5mpg + or - of my hand calcs, so I trust it.

Stugs, I am having a hard time to believe 46mpg for an extended period of time. That will be a feat for sure (or perhaps that is no feet!) :p

Actually, you can indeed tune an engine to improve mpg, but usually at some other cost, like emissions. More than likely BMW has adjusted this rig to meet emissions as a priority over mpg, although the two can and do go hand in hand. If you increase combustion temp you increase NOx, so they usually play with the the valve timing and overlap, plus start/stop of fuel injection. Then you play with Charge Air pressure from the turbo. Plenty to tweek with if you know what you are doing.:thumbup:

I'll give any tune consideration if price and results are right. I just don't want to be the guinea pig.
I'm doing that for you, sir. :) I'm tracking MPG every day, without fail, regardless of results. My point isn't to brag or exaggerate, but to provide information...that's it. Like last night, the drive home was a bit rougher on the car (more uphill) and I ended up at ~650 miles estimated for the whole tank by the time I got home.

Wonder if DEF consumption increases by a noticeable amount with such a tune and not a constant heavy foot.
I honestly can't answer that question, obviously, since there's no DEF gauge to determine how much is left. I do know that I'm now at almost 12,500, and still no 1k warning.

#18 ·
My computer has been damn near nuts on for all 20 or so fillups I have done. Others have said similar results, I'd trust it. As far as gaining economy, I have seen that with diesel trucks before so long as the person is not using the new found power all the time.

#19 ·
My computer has been within a 0.5mpg + or - of my hand calcs, so I trust it.

Stugs, I am having a hard time to believe 46mpg for an extended period of time. That will be a feat for sure (or perhaps that is no feet!) :p

Actually, you can indeed tune an engine to improve mpg, but usually at some other cost, like emissions. More than likely BMW has adjusted this rig to meet emissions as a priority over mpg, although the two can and do go hand in hand. If you increase combustion temp you increase NOx, so they usually play with the the valve timing and overlap, plus start/stop of fuel injection. Then you play with Charge Air pressure from the turbo. Plenty to tweek with if you know what you are doing.:thumbup:

I'll give any tune consideration if price and results are right. I just don't want to be the guinea pig.

#22 ·
Guess it would boil down to what technical reason is behind the increase in economy. If it is something that results in more Nox then probably means more def consumption but then who knows if it would be a noticeable amount. My fear with these types of mods is long term reliability of the vehicle. I was going to do a tune on my truck years ago because of the mpg gain and figured out how many miles I'd have to drive for it to pay off. Never did it because saw too many people with tunes and all sorts of problems like injectors and head gaskets but that motor does not have a great reputation so who knows what the real reasons were.

Would be interesting to see egt readings with and with out the tune. I know with a lot of trucks the tuners alwas recommend exhaust work as well. But not like I know anything about tuning to know what i was looking at.

#23 ·
Sorry, but I don't know why so many of you guys don't trust your car. I have a 1999 528. The range and mpg indicators have been consistently reliable and the oil change lights have never faiiled to provide good and useful information about when to bring it in for service. I've been waiting for a reasonably-priced diesel and do not expect it to be any less trustworthy than my 528. Wish you all well. God bless BMW.

#24 ·
I can believe the gains in mpg if the exhaust became less restrictive which it looks like it might have with the SES light on. Please tell us the exhaust was untouched!?! I would like more power, but I really don't want to mess with any hardware in the car.
My friend has a Dodge cummins that had a DPF, etc but no urea injection. He removed the DPF and basically all of the factory exhaust behind the turbo and also plugged the EGR so its not routing all the dirty diesel soot into the intake. He also added an intake along with a power programmer that yielded a LOT more power AND better gas mileage. He yields about 20-22mpg on the highway now where before it was in the 16-18 range. Quarter mile went from 16.0 to 14.3
Makes me wonder what the d can do with the same level of modifications, I bet 12s easily with even better mileage, but at the expense of a dirty cloud of diesel smoke following you.

Definitely keep us posted on any developments that you can share!

#25 ·
Exhaust wasn't touched...SES light has been off and on since I had the car (more recently, but not as a a result of the tune).

Car's going in for maintenance pretty soon (late this week/early next week), so I'm going to have them look into it then.

As far as I know, there's nobody in the states that has an exhaust for the d, and I imagine it might take some time, with the way the exhaust is configured in comparison to the gas variant 335i (and the EU variant 335d).

Here are today's results:

Attachments

#26 ·
I came across an ad online a few weeks back that claimed to be selling a catback for these cars. It though read as if the same setup was being sold for the 335d and 335i so I figured it really did not work on the diesels. It also was a ton of money, I think a few thousand dollars. Would be nice to see exhausts for these but given how few cars are imported I have my doubts one will be made or if one is then have my fears it will be very expensive to justify making something that not many units would be sold.

#27 ·
I couldn't resist any longer....at lunch, I took the car and drove to the beach, and drove it hard getting there...so tomorrow's mileage #'s are going to be off...just felt the need to explain why.

Token pictures of the beach:

#28 · (Edited)
Loving this and looking forward to the ongoing saga. Any concerns that it could be throwing a code - since the SES light was already coming on, I assume you wouldn't be able to tell if anything new was going on without a proper diagnostic?

PS - I just went over to check the link to Terry's post, and had no idea the 335d thread was still going strong. Ever since the Diesel form was opened I haven't even bothered to check the other forums . . .

#29 ·
You're correct about the proper diagnostic, which I want to get done soon...getting really annoyed at seeing the SES, and I'm concerned it has to do with the DEF, which we know can be a saga in itself.

Here's to hoping it's just a sensor or something simple.

As an FYI, I'm going to the dyno with Terry tomorrow morning. :)

#30 ·
How are you going to hide the tune?

#31 ·
Remove and clear codes. Removal takes maybe 5 minutes..if that. Very simple to take off/put on.

#34 ·
The #'s are here (partially). We were able to get HP #'s, but no torque #'s (yet). I'm searching for a local dyno shop that will be able to get the torque #'s, but I'm pretty confident that based on the deltas of the HP #'s, the torque #'s are somewhere in the low 500's.

Also attached is my only dirty run...I *know* both I and the car can do better.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.