BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

335d: DTUK CRD-T Vs. JBD box?

53K views 140 replies 24 participants last post by  Bimmerx53 
#1 ·
It seems the DTUK-T is a better option as it is a two channel system controlling fuel throughput as well as turbo boost. DTUK is manufactured by DTE in germany which has years of diesel tuning experience for multiple auto manufacturers. JBD only controls fuel, does not control turbo boost, and JBD makes only one module for this one engine.

I could be wrong, please enlighten me. I have been considering buying both myself.

#118 ·
Chris, yes, same bloke, but it's listed for a different vehicle
His English is appalling but his product is good.

The item I linked you to is the one for the 335d

I'll have covered more than 500 miles before I t ale my car in. At the moment, if all stays the same, I'll not bother with the remap at this rate. We shall see ......

#119 · (Edited)
Here's some info from BMW on the EGR in the U.S. E90:
Compared to the European version, the high pressure EGR is equipped with the following special features:
***8226; Electric EGR valve with positional feedback
***8226; Temperature sensor before high pressure EGR valve
***8226; EGR cooler with bypass.

The electric actuating system of the EGR valve enables exact metering of the recirculated exhaust gas quantity. In addition, this
quantity is no longer calculated based solely on the signals from the hot-film air mass meter and oxygen sensor but the following
signals are also used:
***8226; Travel of high pressure EGR valve
***8226; Temperature before high pressure EGR valve
***8226; Pressure difference between exhaust gas pressure in the exhaust manifold and boost pressure in the intake manifold.

This enables even more exact control of the EGR rate. The EGR cooler serves the purpose of increasing the efficiency of
the EGR system. However, reaching the operating temperature as fast as possible has priority at low engine temperatures.
In this case, the EGR cooler can be bypassed in order to heat up the combustion chamber faster. For this purpose, there is a bypass
that diverts the flow of the exhaust around the EGR cooler.

This bypass is actuated by a flap which, in turn, is operated by a
vacuum unit. The bypass is either only in the "Open" or "Closed"
position.
Those first 3 items (electric valve, sensor, cooler) make me believe that our EGR is significantly different from the Euro EGR, so we need to tread carefully. I have an image of our EGR part (including the cooler), but I haven't been able to figure out how to get it posted yet.

#122 ·
I'm working on the image, in the meantime, here's a comparison (from realeom) between the U.S. and Euro setups:

U.S.:
Euro:

In both drawings, the EGR valve is just aft of part number 7. They appear very similar, even though the U.S. has much more "junk" upstream of the EGR (that's the cooling thing mentioned in my earlier post).

I'll get the drawing from the BMW book up soon.

#125 ·
62lincoln, if your egr has the throttle flap and stepper motor in one, then the kit I links above is of no use to you
If the egr is separate to the throttle and is vacuume controlled rather than electronically controlled then it'll be a simple and painless mod to do.

If your egr has electronics directly on it, and/or is part of the throttle flap, it'll be more difficult

Take an actual picture of your set up n your car

#126 ·
Here's a picture of my removed egr valve, this is aprox 100,000 miles old :

It's done 30,000 miles on what ever fuel, I don't know, and 70,000 miles on 98% v-wer diesel and 2% BP ultimate diesel
It's also been running my DTUK CRD-T tuning box at 340bhp and 510lbs ft.
Very mixed driving, town, distance, high speed, town speed.....and I've had zero issues.

#128 ·
Chris, I agree.....it's very minimal carbon build up

I'm mere than pleased eight he results of removing it though, my cars low down ight throttle is a lot stronger.
It's also nice or have the piece of mind that I'm not contributing to the build up of crap inside my engine, especially at nearly 100.000 miles.

#133 ·
Hi, I just had two questions regarding these mods, Does chip tuning with these modules affect the reliability of the engine? and if your car is still under warranty, can you just remove the chip and plug in the original to keep the warranty in tact for service?

Thanks

#139 ·
Not meaning to change topics, but real quick question while you guys are talking about EGR Valves, my e70 has 40k miles on it and when I took it in for service they said it sprung a leak. From what I can see, the EGR unit wasn't replaced, only a little sliver pipe running from it. Would you guys say I should simply overlook this or is it worth it to get that extended warranty?

Much appreciated.

#140 ·
Sounds like cracked EGR cooler, fairly common issue. Did you smell diesel fumes or was there soot around the silver pipe? The dealer probably replaced the bracket for the cooler as there is a recall, but you might want to double check.

I'm at 54k on my 2010 and I did not purchase extended warranty as the truck has been relatively trouble free.

#141 ·
Sounds like cracked EGR cooler, fairly common issue. Did you smell diesel fumes or was there soot around the silver pipe? The dealer probably replaced the bracket for the cooler as there is a recall, but you might want to double check.

I'm at 54k on my 2010 and I did not purchase extended warranty as the truck has been relatively trouble free.
Yes, it was the one with the heat-sink around it so I guess it was the cooler.
And I did smell that, I thought it was the urea from the exhaust so I didn't think anything of it.

Huh okay I'm going to see this thing acts up again on its way to 50k but so far I'm going to go for no extended warranty if this isn't a big deal.

Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.