BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Engine Hood Sound Proof Underlining Tidy-Up

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  194449 
#1 · (Edited)
Engine Hood Sound Proof Underlining Tidy-Up

Mine was loose at the back, close to the very back, low, there are slots where there are tabs on the lining, and it is suppose to fit nicely into those tabs slots, and not sag.

Mine was sagging, especially after I did some work putting new windshield washer nozzles and hoses in, back there under the hood.

The under hood material happens to stick with one side of some velcro, so I took some velcro, cut some strips, and stuck some (some velcro has peel off stick backing) nicely to the thick lining BMW uses for soundproofing under the hood. The lining no longer sags down, and stays up in the very back under the hood.

Just one of many little projects..
:thumbup:

#4 ·
Same sag here but I didn't think to use Velro. I just dabbed some gasket maker (Permatex ultra gray or black, can't remember) up behind a couple of the sagging corners, and it has held up fine for a long time now. Velcro sounds more elegant, but I recommend you use a type that can withstand fairly high temps. I've used Velcro strips to hold Ipods and other small stuff to the dash etc in the cabin, and the adhesive backing always became a soggy goo in the summer months when the car was locked and out in the sun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.