BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Winter Tires

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  autonomy 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2014 X! AWD X-Line. I am thinking with living in MA that it may be a good idea to get snow tires. Options seem to be quite limited.

A few questions:
1. Will non-run flat tires be ok on the car? Will they work with the system and all with regards to low air warnings, et.?
2. Will an all seasons tire be just as good?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Ryan

#2 · (Edited)
I have a 35i and bought a second set of wheels and dedicated snow tires a year ago. I bought Nokian snows for my car and they are not RF's. TPM works just fine, no problems there. I also bought a 12v compressor and a tire plug kit just in case. Whether you buy all-seasons or snows is your call. Understand this though, if you want the best snow/ice traction you need a set of dedicated snow tires. Not that all-seasons won't get you by, it's just that all-seasons are a compromise that works both in the summer and winter, but not as well in the winter as snows do. Forgot to mention. My wheels are 17" and I did 225's all the way around. Ultimately your call.

#5 ·
Consider getting rims too. You can buy 17" rims and then get dedicated winter rubber for them.
Your X1 will be absolutely fine with all season rubber in the winter. (Xdrive is the main factor that gets you going forward)
What you really want; is snow tires for stopping, and cutting through deep snow.

#9 ·
It is not necessary to spend the extra for the TPMS sensors if you do not want to. I put snows on my car every winter with rims that do not have the TPMS sensor and all that happens is the little yellow icon lights up and stays on but it is not bothersome. Frankly I do not even notice it after resetting the warning. It is up to you but in my case the snows are off by Mid-march and it is not such a big deal to have a non-functioning TPMS for four months.

One thing I find really convenient which you might want to consider being that you are going the route of separate snows, is to buy them locally. You will pay a little more perhaps but tire shops in our area always provide free mounting, balancing and rotation for the life of the tire. When you consider you will be doing this twice a year, the cost differential favors buying them locally for the free service. It has worked out well for me. Just a thought.

#14 ·
Perhaps I'm bringing a slightly older topic from the dead, but I find this post curious.
Everyone everywhere says "Egads! You must absolutely have TPMS! How will you ever know your tire is flat or under-inflated!" Well, how did we ever know before TPMS was federally mandated? We cared to check!

I don't have TPMS on my Honda's Blizzaks and the only two differences are the TPMS light goes on and I can't turn off stability control. Boohoo! I want to do the same thing on the X1.

Forteatwo, you are the only person I've been able to find in my searches who has mentioned running without TPMS. Has anyone else done this before? Is the light on the dash and perhaps the inability to turn off stability control really the only two issues I should expect, even on newer models?

I thought the automakers were transitioning to ABS rotation sensing for TPMS.

#11 ·
I highly recommend Americas tire/Discount Tire. Great prices on the best tires and outstanding service. I would recommend getting a spare set of 17" wheels with snow tires and sensors. That way it is better for the tires & wheels and your tire shop will be happy to change the wheels twice a year & balance them each rotation! I just so happen to have a barely used set of 17" e84 wheels for sale that came on my X1 if interested?

#13 · (Edited)
No, my X1 came with Goodyear run flats that Americas tire bought off me when I bought BMW 322 18" wheels with Michelin non-run flat all season tires from them. I only have perfect condition 17" wheels available to sell. I live in an area (Oregon) that all season tires work fine for the few trips I take to the mountain during the winter. For winter wheels - 17" is a good call - and I would go with non run flat snow tires. Heck - If you buy Michelin tires - they will tow you up to 150 miles for free to a place that can repair the tire if you get a flat. I sure like my X1 better with these non run flat tires!

#15 ·
I have TPMS disabled. It required disconnecting the TPMS module (under the car, behind the rear axle) and coding it out in the CAS VO and in the KOMBI module settings. So the warning light does not come on for me. What I really need, though, is to find someone outside of the US with an otherwise identical car (X1 X28i) who can send me their stock coding files for some of the other modules. If I can get those files, I think I can code the US model to use the ABS sensors instead, which is what everyone who isn't in the US is already using.

#16 ·
Interesting. I know nothing about coding cars (I'm assuming it voids the warranty) but I'm well-versed in software. Is it as simple as turning some options on/off or do you have to dig through code?

I'm not entirely comfortable messing with the software settings on a performance car in which my wife and I transport our kids. I'd rather deal with the light.

#22 ·
sDrive28i in winter.

In winter, I switch our summer tires for 4 winter tires. This gives better steering, braking and stopping on snow and especially on ice.
My summer tires WERE the stock 18" Pirelli Cinturato RFT. These tires are noisy and give a bumpy stiff ride. They are about seven lbs heavier/corner than the winterwheels also.
My wintertires are 17" High Performance winter tires mounted on 7.5 X 17" dedicated wheels.
These give a comfortable, quiet ride and safe steering, and stopping, as documented by Tire Rack in their testing.
I couldn't face Spring and a return to the Pirelli RFTs so i mounted Continental Conti Extreme Contac DW's on all four corners and sold the RFTs.
Now the X1 has a quiet, smooth comfortable and safe ride, steering braking and better rain performance for about $250 net after I sold the RFTs.
To avoid buying four more RF sensors, I removed the RF module from behind the fuel tank and re-coded the vehicle to stop looking for it.
I am extremely happy with my X-1 now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.