BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW to Replace Passenger-side Front Airbags in 2000-06 3 Series, As a Precaution

212K views 313 replies 108 participants last post by  Doug Huffman 
#1 · (Edited)
(E46) BMW airbag inflator recall

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/23/airbag-recall-widens-include-bmw-chrysler-ford-and-toyota/

"BMW is recalling an undisclosed number of 325i, 325Xi, 330i and 330Xi models from the 2001 through 2005 model years and the 2001-2006 model year versions of the 325Ci and 330Ci for the driver side and passenger side inflators. Only vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the US Virgin Islands are covered under this recall."
FULL PRESS RELEASE:

BMW
RECALL Subject : Frontal Air Bag Inflators may Rupture
Report Receipt Date: JUN 20, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V348000
Component(s): AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 0
All Products Associated with this Recall
Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s)
BMW 325CI 2001-2006
BMW325I 2001-2005
BMW325XI 2001-2005
BMW330CI 2001-2006
BMW330I 2001-2005
BMW330XI 2001-2005

Details
Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC

SUMMARY:
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is conducting a limited regional recall for certain model year 2001-2005 325i, 325xi, 330i, and 330xi, and 2001-2006 325Ci and 330Ci vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and equipped with Takata-brand air bag inflators. Upon deployment of the driver side and/or passenger side frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.

CONSEQUENCE:
In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of either of the frontal air bags, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the vehicle occupants.

REMEDY:
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the frontal air bag(s) free of charge. This recall is expected to begin during August 2014. Owners may contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-525-7417.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

See less See more
#161 ·
Air Bag Recall

I had my air bag replaced last month. My suggestion is not to wait for the dealer to call you. Because of the magnitude of this recall, air bags are in short supply. I called the dealer and had them order an air bag for me, and it took about three weeks for it to come in.

BTW - Don't let the service rep 'sell' you any additional services while your car in for the recall.

#162 ·
BMW just announced a more complete recall that covers all affected vehicles, not just those residing in high humidity states. Good to see the company finally get off the dime, though they should have been out front on this much earlier.

#163 · (Edited)
Thanks for posting the news. According to the Associated Press report linked below, the "voluntary improvement campaign" is for 140,000 E46 vehicles produced between January 2004 and August 2006.

Could the recall be for the round or square airbags, or both? The round airbags are shared with E39 5-Series models with the three-spoke steering wheel, although I think the E39 went out of production several months before January 2004.

BMW expands US air bag recall nationwide

#167 ·
Just had my passenger airbag replaced on Monday 12/29 after waiting 30-40 days to move up the list for parts. However, the SA didn't say ANYTHING about the driver side replacement referenced above. Maybe they haven't gotten the official word/process from BMW yet, but a heads up woulda been nice.

#169 ·
However, the SA didn't say ANYTHING about the driver side replacement referenced above. Maybe they haven't gotten the official word/process from BMW yet, but a heads up woulda been nice.
My dealer doesn't have any information either.

#170 ·
My car is outside of the additional driver's side recall (it's an '03) but I did call the dealer yesterday to try and get an update on where I am on the waiting list. I called for an appointment in late October, scheduled it for November 12, and got a call a few days before saying they ran out of parts, they'd call when they got more. As of yesterday, I hadn't heard anything, hence my phone call to them.

The SA I talked to said that they were getting very occasional deliveries and it was totally unpredictable. However, they couldn't give me a number as far as how many cars were ahead of me, which I can't really figure out. But he did say "put it this way, you're ahead of my father on the list." He seemed perfectly genuine and I didn't push because I am sure that being a jerk to the SA will NOT help one's position on any list.

The only new (to me) information he offered was the fact that, while the same materials were used in the production of these airbags, the specific design of the parts used in the E46 is somewhat different from those in other manufacturers' vehicles. So the fact that zero BMWs have had an "incident" with these airbags (yet to be reported, anyway), does make me feel a bit better. Maybe the differences in design have kept the explosion from causing the same kind of damage? Still, I refuse to have a passenger in my car when my kids are in the back seat. I can't really imagine how I'd feel if my 2-year-old or 4-month-old got a stray piece of shrapnel to the eye from an airbag that I knew had the potential to do exactly that, however extremely low the chances may be. I will continue to drive my wife's car everywhere with the kids, and patiently await my replacement airbag.

#172 ·
I had my passenger bag replaced due initiated by a letter from BMW. My car is a 2001 so, I'm not sure how it was included.

After they replaced th bag the dash cap which cover the airbag looks to fit differently, with larger gaps between the panels. Anyone else notice this? I'm not sure whether to say anything since I'm not sure what to expect them to do. In some spots it looks as if they pried the cover off. Anyone else notice this or did I just get a bad Tech?

If you haven't had it done already, take a picture of the air bag cover to compare it with the car when you get it back. This way you have objective evidence to show.

FWIW, my friend with a 2003 has not received a letter...

#173 ·
I had my passenger bag replaced due initiated by a letter from BMW. My car is a 2001 so, I'm not sure how it was included.
2001 models were affected by the passenger airbag recall, according to the information posted previously.

After they replaced th bag the dash cap which cover the airbag looks to fit differently, with larger gaps between the panels. Anyone else notice this? I'm not sure whether to say anything since I'm not sure what to expect them to do. In some spots it looks as if they pried the cover off. Anyone else notice this or did I just get a bad Tech?
This document, which BMW provided to NHTSA as part of the recall documentation, shows how the airbag cover is removed and reattached.

FWIW, my friend with a 2003 has not received a letter...
The recall letters don't always reach the car's current owner. Your friend can find out whether his car is affected by entering his VIN into the NHTSA recall database search, entering his VIN into the BMW NA database search, or contacting his local BMW dealership.

#181 ·
Were you notified by BMWUSA that they had the parts?
I never received the mythical "we have the parts; come on down" letter. It's better to contact your Service Advisor and get into the dealership's queue. If you wait for the dealer or BMW NA to contact you, you'll be one of the last to get a new airbag.

#180 ·
Stealership located in Southern California, New Century BMW in Alhambra. Called in December to schedule an appointment. Date was set for mid January. About one week from appt date, it was postponed to mid Feb because they didn't have the part. Now it's February and just a few days ago, it was postponed to mid March. What is this bull?!! I don't want my passenger to die :(

#184 ·
Airbag Replaced Today

I had the airbag replaced today under the recall at BMW of Mt Laurel in New Jersey. There is also a recall for the E46 on the wiring harness for the tail lights, which they also did today. Both were done with no charge. My car is a 2002 325i which was part of the recall.

#191 · (Edited)
NHTSA recently announced that it has ordered Takata to preserve airbag inflators removed during the recall process, and NHTSA is also upgrading its investigation to an "engineering analysis":

http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+Releases/2015/takata-ordered-to-preserve-defective-air-bag-inflators

Has anyone received a letter this year from BMW NA concerning Campaign No. 14V-348 for the driver's airbag? This is the campaign that began in "high humidity" states. Under pressure from NHTSA, BMW NA agreed to make it a nationwide campaign in December 2014.

#192 ·
I had my airbag replaced a week ago at BMW of Mt. Laurel in New Jersey and I did get a letter from BMW NA last September, it took that long for the dealer to get the parts. There is also a recall on the taillight wiring, which the dealer told me about when I arrived, so they handled both recalls on the airbag and taillight wiring while I was there. Great dealer if anyone wants to try them. I have a 2002 325i which was included in the recall.

#198 ·
I'm due to go into bmw of mt. Laurel as well. I got a letter in September. They called me back in February. But unfortunately my carrier bearing and flex point failed. It was to cold to fix at the time as I don't drive my car in the winter anyway. But it's getting fixed today. So let's see if I'm going to the back of the list. Lol

#193 ·
Well after initially calling in October, I finally got a call yesterday that they have parts in for me (this is at a dealer in NH). I was told that they would be held for me until my appointment which is March 16th. I've never been to a dealer with a car I've owned, I'm expecting them to find at least *something* else that they think needs fixing (no thank you). Anyway I'll just be happy to be done with it.

#194 ·
If they're going to check the codes for free, then diagnose, why not. When I took mine in, they told me the thing was in fantastic shape, only suggestion was motor mounts, which is true. SA said one of the techs was interested, if it was for sale. LOL. Thanks E46FANATICS for all the PM instructions!

#196 ·
Got my airbag replaced 2 days ago, after getting on the list at the dealership a few months ago. Obviously, a huge backorder on these airbag parts. I just dropped my car off in the morning and picked it up later that afternoon. Went quite smoothly, and my dealer is very good to work with. They did tell me about a "very light sweating" where the oil filter housing mounts to the engine block. They told me nothing to worry about now, but just watch it. Quoted me ~$350 to fix, if I'd like them to do it. Interesting in that is the first "leak" on my car which just hit 160K miles.

#199 ·
Probably that $4 Oil Filter Housing Gasket. It's easy, but time consuming. You have to take so much out to get to it. If you're doing it yourself, might as well do a CCV kit , while you have the left side of the engine compartment taken out.

#197 ·
Well, I dropped my car off last night at the dealer, and they called me at 8:23 this morning, I'm thinking "this can't be good." But it's all done, yay! I can't get down to pick it up until after work, so I said, "Thank you! But I'll see you in 10 hours." I guess they're getting good and fast at these replacements now. Or someone at the dealer likes to come in early and get an easy job out of the way to start the day.

#201 ·
Picked my car up last night from Tulley in Nashua, NH. They even washed my car and cleaned the inside (as best they could with 2 car seats in the back), very nice gesture considering they didn't get a penny from me.

I spent some time looking around at their inventory but when I asked, they said they had only ONE manual transmission car on the lot. No Z or M cars in manual... just one lone 335i xdrive Msport. I know, I know, it's reality but it's still depressing.

Anyway I'm just relieved it's done and they were nice to clean my car while they had it.

#202 ·
I called my dealership this morning to find out wahzup! Last fall, like Sept or early Oct, I stopped in with my recall notice in-hand and the SA took me into a cubicle for him to enter my name and other details as he would need to "call" me when they received their allotment of bags. I have never heard from them.

The guy this morning seemed to have a problem 'finding' my info so I do not know what happened there short of initial data entry (last fall) being screwed up. At any rate, I'm scheduled to take it in on 3/27 at 8:30 am for the service.

"Will you need a loaner Sir?" Whyyyyyy certainly thank you very much :D

#203 · (Edited)
Did mine in NY - brought it in while I waited - took 4 hours for the airbag and the tail light recall.
My appointment was for tail light only because I was having starting problems and figured whatever this recall involved must have also been causing a battery drain. I must have been right because after this was fixed - haven't had another starting problem. But also the weather changed from cold to warm too.
While there they decided to do the airbag too - had one in stock for a guy with an appointment 2 weeks from then and said they'd get another one before his appointment and didn't want me to have to come back again so I was pretty pleased with that.
Washed it and did an 18 point check - gave me a list of things to fix in the future.
Ralley

#206 · (Edited)
Did mine in NY - brought it in while I waited - took 4 hours for the airbag and the tail light recall.

Ttopped the tire pressure (at my request) - filled the washer fluid, washed the car & did an inspection (not at my request)

Now there's condensation in the headlights - not there before
They claim I need wipers & flashers - didn't prior to the recall fix

Claims cracked bushings - no steering problem prior to the recall fix & the car just passed nys safety inspection 4 months ago mind you

Also said need a fuel pump and today had problems starting the car - had to push down the gas while cranking the car to get it going - never did that before

Did had starting issues with battery drain which I presumed was caused by the tail light issue & figured tail light recall fix would end that problem

Now it seems I got a whole new bunch of problems

So don't be so quick to get your recall fixed - you never know what problems you're gonna wind up with on the way out

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
I can understand you being upset about all the issues with your car, but I'm not sure your anger is pointed in the right direction.

Back in February you reported that the headlight had condensation, and that the dash light for it came on and off. Here, you saying it wasn't there before, essentially accusing them of sabotage. I'm not standing up for any dealer, I do my own PM and repairs whenever possible, for obvious reasons.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=824442&highlight=condensation

Battery Issues: In a previous post you reported water in the battery compartment, I didn't see where you ever resolved the leak. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831665&highlight=rembrandt

Per you the battery is 5 years old.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831635&highlight=rembrandt

You said previous you ignored the taillight warning lamp on your dash.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831635&highlight=rembrandt

Most battery manufacturer's only fully warrant them for three years for a reason, they can last longer, and I've seen reports of them going 10, but in reality, with a BMW and it's eccentric electrical systems, changing them out every 3 years as a $100 PM, is a good idea and recommended. The taillight issue may have done your battery in, but it was on it's way out anyway.

Wipers are a PM item, I have to replace mine every 6 months or suffer the consequences, they are either good or bad, if you can live with the way they are, then don't change them, the inserts for the original are $16 for the pair at ECS Tuning

They didn't go in and age your bushings, they're at least 10 years old and that rubber is designed to take a pounding, but they don't last until eternity. Some of mine are shot as well, along with my motor mounts, put it on stands and look for yourself if you don't believe them. If you don't mind the way the car rides, don't worry about it for now. It's not going to fail inspection unless the bushings have totally failed, but that doesn't mean they aren't shot and need replacing.Unless it's the control arm bushings, which can cause a myriad of steering issues and need to be PM'd as soon as you can afford it if they're worn out. When they go completely, your car will be dancing down the highway, but you won't be in control.

The fuel pump, filter and relay are another PM item, I changed mine last weekend. I was extremely lucky my pump went 150,XXX miles and 14 years, most go out at 100,000 or less. I went ahead and did the filter and relay since I didn't want to worry about it. My highway mpg at 68 mph jumped from 29.3 to 31.7. They are especially prone to soft fail if your running regular gas instead of premium, and you going to shocked at how dark the crap is that comes out of your filter, if you change it. I think dealers charge $500 to $600 to change the pump, you can buy a VDO/Siemans (OE) for about $160 with a new gasket,and new hose clamps, and it takes less than 30 minutes to change it with a screwdriver, hammer, plyers, and a nut driver.

They gave you an inspection and didn't charge you? Damn, I paid $120 for mine congrats! They didn't find or create "new problems" they just reported what they saw. You have the option of checking things out yourself, or taking it in to another mechanic. But you need to handle it. On this car things rarely take care of themselves, they get worse. Everything they've told you that needs to be done are common issues with these 10 year old plus cars, it's your choice whether you do it not and wait until they completely fail. Between this site and E46Fanatics.com, you can find the information to all the items they mentioned, if you choose.

I have to budget $2,400 a year for maintenance on my car, and I do most of the work myself. I could lease a Kia, Honda, or Toyota, for about the same amount, but it wouldn't drive near as good, it's a conscious decision. I don't want to even consider what it would cost if I was to take it to a dealer! I'm guessing the expense would be north of $5,000 and maybe more.

Getting your recall done, didn't cause any of your issues, they were already there, you just haven't handled them, or didn't know them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.