BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW to Replace Passenger-side Front Airbags in 2000-06 3 Series, As a Precaution

212K views 313 replies 108 participants last post by  Doug Huffman 
#1 · (Edited)
(E46) BMW airbag inflator recall

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/06/23/airbag-recall-widens-include-bmw-chrysler-ford-and-toyota/

"BMW is recalling an undisclosed number of 325i, 325Xi, 330i and 330Xi models from the 2001 through 2005 model years and the 2001-2006 model year versions of the 325Ci and 330Ci for the driver side and passenger side inflators. Only vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the US Virgin Islands are covered under this recall."
FULL PRESS RELEASE:

BMW
RECALL Subject : Frontal Air Bag Inflators may Rupture
Report Receipt Date: JUN 20, 2014
NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V348000
Component(s): AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected: 0
All Products Associated with this Recall
Vehicle Make Model Model Year(s)
BMW 325CI 2001-2006
BMW325I 2001-2005
BMW325XI 2001-2005
BMW330CI 2001-2006
BMW330I 2001-2005
BMW330XI 2001-2005

Details
Manufacturer: BMW of North America, LLC

SUMMARY:
BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is conducting a limited regional recall for certain model year 2001-2005 325i, 325xi, 330i, and 330xi, and 2001-2006 325Ci and 330Ci vehicles currently registered in Florida, Puerto Rico, Hawaii and the U.S. Virgin Islands, and equipped with Takata-brand air bag inflators. Upon deployment of the driver side and/or passenger side frontal air bag, excessive internal pressure may cause the inflator to rupture.

CONSEQUENCE:
In the event of a crash necessitating deployment of either of the frontal air bags, the inflator could rupture with metal fragments striking and potentially seriously injuring the vehicle occupants.

REMEDY:
BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the frontal air bag(s) free of charge. This recall is expected to begin during August 2014. Owners may contact BMW Customer Relations at 1-800-525-7417.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

See less See more
#84 ·
BMW sent me the recall letter which stated in part that they did not have the airbags in stock, but I'd be contacted as soon as they were. Well, I waited for a month without any further contact. Laat week I went to the dealership to buy some new wiper blade inserts, and while I was there asked a service rep when he thought the bags would be in. He said they were available, and made me an appointment to have them replaced today. So DON'T WAIT FOR BMW TO CONTACT YOU. Sorry Bob, I know I'm shouting.

#89 ·
got mine done last week took about a 10 days for the airbag to arrive here in Hawaii at Honolulu BMW, they had it for about 6 hours since I was about 25th in line for the day. Can't complain they dropped me off then picked me up which is about 20 miles 1 way, and returned it washed and vacuumed out. Not bad for a $0 cost repair

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#90 ·
Now you can spend an afternoon polishing the swirl marks they left on your paint. I always ask for no wash, they don't always comply.

#91 ·
I always ask for no wash, they don't always comply.
In addition to asking your Service Advisor to not wash the car, place a large note that reads "PLEASE DO NOT WASH" in the cabin - preferably on the dashboard or the steering wheel. This polite visual reminder helps to keep our cars out of the dealer's wash bay.

#93 ·
I just called my "local" dealer and they do have the parts in stock. Also verified that my VIN was part of the recall, I guess not all '01 - '04 E46 are affected.

Anyway I am just confirming for others that, while I haven't gotten a second letter, they do have parts and I was able to get an appointment. I figure, the sooner the better.

#96 · (Edited)
Other manufacturers may be treating this fiasco as a "field action," but BMW is indeed treating it as a recall. The notice that has gone out via mail to E46 owners is labeled "IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL," and the first line states, "This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act."

BMW's recall campaign also comes up in a search of NHTSA's recall database.

#98 ·
Other manufacturers may be treating this fiasco as a "field action," but BMW is indeed treating it as a recall.
That's good, because that would mean (a) all states, not just high-humidity states, are covered, and (b) that they attempt to reach you more thoroughly, and (c) that they report back to the NHTSA more details.

If they're doing all that, then, yes, they're treating it as a "recall".

#97 ·
Had the airbag replaced yesterday. I asked the service advisor who manufactures the replacement units and it was fairly obvious that (1) no one had asked before and (2) he had not idea but (3) he said he would find out.
He was MIA when I picked up the car so never got to verify (3) for sure and he's not replying to voice mails.
Anyone here know?

#100 ·
Had the airbag replaced yesterday. I asked the service advisor who manufactures the replacement units and it was fairly obvious that (1) no one had asked before and (2) he had not idea but (3) he said he would find out.
He was MIA when I picked up the car so never got to verify (3) for sure and he's not replying to voice mails.
Anyone here know?
Very good question...........

#101 ·
Recalled passeger airbag issue

Hi all i know this issue has been covered before, but i didn't know about it! Anyway i took my car to the stealer's for a service. Good job i did otherwise i would have been non the wiser. I only decided to keep the full service history going at the last minute! Anyway my question is why didn't the stealer's send me a letter so i could have had my airbag changed a lot sooner. Has anyone else had the same issue with them?

#102 ·
The dealerships don't want a stamped of customers, plus I read online somewhere that there is a shortage of airbags as BMW is not the only car company with this problem. Glad you got it sorted and replaced. I have yet to do mine.

#103 ·
#104 ·
Long thread on this airbag recall already. BMW sent the letter, it was misleading because it said owners would be notified when parts were available. That second notice never happened but the parts are there.
Now why would you expect the dealer to notify you? If I'm a dealer and I have a specific budget for marketing, why would I spend it on customers with cars that are 8 to 15 years old, many of whom I have not seen since the moment the warranty expired and most of whom no longer own the car. The communication falls on BMW, not the dealer in this case.

#106 · (Edited)

Attachments

#107 · (Edited)
I don't remember if it was posted already, but here's the official BMW letter ...
- BMW-confirmation-letter_Takata-RCDNN-14V348-2345.pdf

Here's a low-res screenshot of that PDF, but, a key point is that I don't see the "legal" word "recall" anywhere in this particular formal letter.

#108 ·
Here's a low-res screenshot of that PDF, but, a key point is that I don't see the "legal" word "recall" anywhere in this particular formal letter.
The letter you posted is stamped with the campaign number 14V-348, which according to NHTSA's recall database was initiated in June 2014. It is a far smaller action related to 11,600 cars in high-humidity areas.

The broader campaign for which we have all received recall letters was initiated about a month after campaign 14V-348. This campaign is numbered 14V-428 and affects nearly 574,000 vehicles throughout the United States. The phrases "safety recall" and "recall campaign" can be found throughout the NHTSA-archived correspondence related to campaign 14V-428. BMW's four-page letter dated July 15 references the smaller campaign in high-humidity areas, though not by number.

#109 ·
I'm taking mine in for the recall next week. I did get a letter informing me of the recall but no follow up as to when they would be available. But after all the news coverage, I decided to go to the dealer and just inquire about it. And wouldn't you know it, it was available on a first-come, first-served basis. The service rep said they weren't actively notifying people because they didn't want a mad rush of cars to fix. I was a little shocked at the statement. Some sort of notice would have been nice.

#110 ·
The airbag failures seem to be concentrated mostly in areas with a predominantly a hot & humid climate, so they`re concentrating their efforts for replacement in those areas first....

#111 ·
I called the dealer when I received the notice a few weeks ago but these days the waiting is six weeks for service and no loaner available either. :mad:

#112 · (Edited)
If any of you get a chance, can you snap a picture of the problematic airbags so we can determine what the markings look like for those made in the problematic Mexico and Utah facilities?

Here's what we're looking at on the E39, so far, from this thread:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Why exactly are the E39 airbags NOT involved in the massive Takata SRS airbag recall?

Well I checked my airbags.
Thank you very much for checking your 2002 540i airbag manufacturer for the team!

Looking a bit closely at your photos, your passenger side airbag picture seem to show a "TRW Alfdorf" airbag.

- TRW Safety Systems, Airbags

However, your steering wheel airbag is clearly Takata.

Your steering wheel airbag appears to indicate the name "Sachsen":

Sachsen appears to be in Germany:

What worries me a little bit is the Herstellar Inflation Systems (Georgia, USA), also on that steering wheel airbag tag.

"Herstellar" doesn't appear to be a German city, nor a German word.
All my searches for "Herstellar" in "Georgia" boomerang right back as "Takata":

But, we know that "Inflation Systems" is (apparently) an affected facility (which touts that they were permitted in only 45 days!)

Is the "Herstellar Inflation Systems (Georgia, USA)" the same as the "Inflation Systems" in Moses Lake?
I certainly hope not, since Moses Lake, Washington is one of the implicated sites (along with a site in Monclova, Mexico).

#113 ·
If any of you get a chance, can you snap a picture of the problematic airbags so we can determine what the markings look like for those made in the problematic Mexico and Utah facilities?
I don't have any photos to share, but in the photo of the steering wheel airbag, the heading "Hersteller" (not "herstellar") is the German word for manufacturer. So the company name is not Hersteller Inflation Systems; it is simply Inflation Systems.

#115 ·
Great, today I called the service department at my local dealership and they put me on a waiting list. They told me they will call when they have the parts, they are still waiting for them.

#118 · (Edited)
Q&A from BMW

Forgive me if this has already been posted, but this is a very detailed Q&A that the dealer sent me. It answers a lot of questions that people have been asking in this thread and others, and some that haven't been asked. It's worth a read if you're unclear on any aspect of this recall, the differences between the various campaigns and timing of same, which cars (and how many) are included in what; as I said it's quite thorough.

tl;dr - if you have a question about this recall, I practically guarantee it's answered in the attached PDF. Which is 7 pages long and you should read it.

Happy Friday night!

Attachments

#122 · (Edited)
No Go On Airbag

Just got a call from dealer and had to cancel my appointment because they wouldn't be getting their shipment as scheduled. It was for the drivers side airbag and now I have to worry about the passenger side too. Funny how they didn't tell me about that one when they looked up my vehicle vin #.

#123 ·
Just got a call from dealer and had to cancel my appointment because they wouldn't be getting their shipment as scheduled. It was for the drivers side airbag and now I have to worry about the passenger side too. Funny how they didn't tell me about that one when they looked up my vehicle vin #.
Since you mentioned that you're waiting for your driver's airbag to be replaced, is your car one of those 12,000 or so that are covered under BMW's "special technical campaign" in Florida, Hawaii and Puerto Rico?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.