BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Can someone help me??

804 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Fast Bob 
#1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have a 2003 BMW 325i with 167k miles on it. A few months ago the engine light turned on and when I checked the OBD2 code, it was a transmission fault code. Today I took my car to AAMCO for transmission inspection, and they wrote me the following report:

Transmission fluid dirty and burnt odor, dtc code 49-gear monitoring, 48-lock up clutch too much slip. 299A error management egs, 2761-secondary air system, 27C3-thermical oil level sensor fault, 28A2-air flow sensor fault, 2967- oxygen sensor monitor fault. On road test noticed late shifts in all gears and lack of engine power.

So now, both the transmission AND the engine have problems. The kbb value for my car in an excellent condition is about $4000 dollars. However, it seems like the costs of repairing it exceed its value. What do you guys suggest I should do? Should I just sell my car to a junkyard? It is a shame because both the interior and the exterior of the car are in perfect shape and I really like it...but it is absurd and non-economical to pay about 4000 dollars to repair a car whose value is 4 grands.

#2 ·
Only you can answer that question. If everything else is in good shape, then might be worth fixing. If there is a lot of other deferred maintenance, then it's likely too late for this car. The transmission fluid is not lifetime as BMW intended.

I suggest reading the wiki and also looking through the auto trans thread. Both are in the sticky section on top of page (there are tabs on apple apps and scroll to top on PC.)

#3 ·
Aamco is like Jiffy Lube....it`s the absolute LAST place you want to take your car for any work....go have the codes scanned, and post the findings here. We can probably help you with a relatively accurate diagnosis once we see the codes....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.