BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Check Brake Linings

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  z0lt3c 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Well today we got the "Check Brake Linings" message on the gauge cluster. I think this means the brake pads need to be replaced. How long can I drive it before I will damage the drums? The reason why I am asking this is because the car is about to go to Magnum to be repaired for hail damage. (Quote was $7900 Glad we don't have to pay for it). The windshield is also going to be replaced and I noticed the Comfort Glass windshield on X5 World. Is that something I should request? Does it really make a big difference?
Thanks,
David

#5 ·
dsheli said:
Great, Anyinfo on the Comfort Glass?
David
Valentine One doesn't work too well with CG windshield. There are 2 cut-outs on the windshield (one at top for toll pass and the other at center bottom for radar detectors) but I don't think any type of detectors would work well with CG.

#8 ·
KingEazy said:
My check brake linnings light came on and i waited for about 2 weeks and needed to do complete barke job(pads.Rotors.sensors) I am a very aggressive fast driver maybe thats why.
No, your mechanic/dealership is just being cautious, or your rotor is below minimum spec. On a heavier car like the X, the rotors will wear at nearly the same rate as the pads thus some of the time when you replace the pads, you may also need to replace the rotors.

Normally when the sensors come on, there's about 1.5mm or less of pad material left. That's about 5% of your overall pad thickness. So if your lining lights pop up, a simple calculation should tell you approximately how much longer you have to go before it's metal on metal. If you've done about 20,000 miles on this set of pads, odds are good that you will still be able to go about 800-1,000 miles. If you've only managed 8,000 miles on this set of pads, more than likely you will be metal on metal in less than 500 miles.

However, also keep in mind that there are only 2 sensors in 8 pads, one on the inboard side of the front driver's side, one on the inboard pad of the rear passenger brakes. That means if you have any sort of abnormal brake wear on any of the other pads, there's a chance that the other pads may be nearly grinding on rotor already when the light comes on. I personally would replace the pads immediately if the lining light shows, not only to be on the safe side but less pad material also means decreased brake performance.

#10 ·
The code must be clear out of the ECU via the OBDII port. There are a bunch of code readers and OBDII software packages out there that can do this.

Otherwise, take it to the dealer and they should only charge for 1/2 and hour of labor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.