BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Z3 passenger seat moves.

43K views 104 replies 64 participants last post by  vintage42 
#1 ·
My passenger side seat slides back and forth slightly. All electronic controls work and its as if the seat is loose on the track. It will shift forward or back freely for about a half an inch. Not so bad if someone is sitting in it, but when I'm driving alone, I hear it move if I accelerate quickly or brake hard. I can grab the seat with my hand and just slightly move it back and forth without using the switches. Does not sound like the motors in the seat are being affected by the movement. Any ideas?

#5 ·
PM sent...

#3 ·
Your seat bushings are worn out. This is a common problem with Z3's. You need to get Doug Whalen's seat bushings and replace your old ones. It's a straighforward fix and EOD Guy's presentation will most likely show you how.

#7 ·
If the dealer does it under warranty, they will just put more crummy rubber bushings in and you'll be in the same boat in another 15-20k miles. Even if you have to do it yourself, I think it's better to do it once and be done with it.

#8 ·
bushings

I replaced both seat bushings for about fourty bucks. This is an easy fix. I noticed that another member is sending the instructions. Just follow each step, and you will be amazed at how easy this procedure is. I also fixed my glove box sag using the instuctions given by a member and also was an easy process knowing how.

Attachments

#19 ·
Z3 newbie

Greetings from a new owner. Just picked up a 1998 Z3 2.8L and am just dieing to spend the next few days just blowing my hair back. When we were test driving the car the passenger seat was noted to be moving approximately 1/2" (13 mm for you purists, but this car was made in SC so inch approximations should be fine). I had researched the forum before making the purchase commitment and noticed this.
Of the several Z3s that I drove the one I chose does have a slightly greater tendency to miss 3rd gear for 5th. Is there an easy detent spring replacement or other tidy fix? The rest of the car made this an easily tolerated issue.
Thanks, and it's good to be aboard.
Charlie G
Other vehicles are E30 track car, E39 wife car, F250 diesel tow pickup

#23 ·
I also completed Doug Whalen's retrofit for the bushings. The fix is straight forward and can be done by a novice in a few hours. Pay attention to the details of the instructions provided. The difference is night and day once the replacement bushings are installed.

#25 ·
When re-installing the seats it is a good preventive maintenance item to clean the contacts in the seat electrical plug (1 per seat) with some electrical contact cleaner (like Deoxit contact cleaner).
Some Z3 owner's have had their SRS light light-up because of faulty contact in these seat electrical plug.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.