BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

F series M3 engine revealed...

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  dalekressin 
#1 · (Edited)
OK boys & girls...:beerchug:
...I have this guy at BMW, known him for a long time... a real company "man", an insider's "insider" and he told me that BMW has settled on a TRI-TURBO INLINE 6 :yikes:for the "F" series M3, and said it is a fire-breathing torque monster with the HP boosted real nice.:thumbup:

Beware AMG, CTS-V & GT500/Ford/Shelby.;):spank:

You heard it 1st @ Bimmerfest:roundel:

#4 · (Edited)
If true and it could be, I'm not surprised. What I heard being tested around the Nurburgring was definitely not an 8 cylinder. Though wouldn't a tri-turbo setup help a V configuration engine more? IDK.
BTW, if true I've bought my last M car. That setup will not be reliable.

#6 ·
The rumor is that the third turbo is a small electrically powered turbo that will provide boost from pretty much 0 rpm. This is of course to remove any turbo lag. While I'm curious I'm also one of the stuck in the past enthusiasts who prefer high revving NA engines to grunty turbo torque monsters. I'm also in favor of mechanical solutions before electrical where possible. However if the result is an exciting, fun and communicative car I'll be ok with it.

#7 ·
I'm not so concerned about the engine as the fact that these cars aren't losing any weight. The 911-- previously already around 500 pounds lighter than the M3-- is now a little bigger (a whole extra 1/4" of rear seat legroom, lol) and yet managed to lose an additional 100 pounds. Now, if only it could lose $30,000...

#8 ·
I'll wait and see. From what I read, the new F30 is slightly lighter than the outgoing model. BMW has already stated it's committed to more use of CF. Too soon to tell, but I'm optimistic.

And....I think there is a new Cayman coming too. That will be on the top of my list also :)

#12 ·
I've seen this info somewhere else 2-3 months ago. Doesn't make it true, but in any event SOMEONE else (uh, or MAYBE this same person - not sure ... :dunno:) is putting these same details out there.

Quick Google returns many results, including:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570925

#17 ·
Good thread to discuss the new car but why argue. Oh yes the 335d is a fun drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.