BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Variable Sport & strange specs?

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  LS2 MN6 
#1 ·
Does anyone clearly understand & can anyone explain just what the "Variable Sport Steering" is/does? What I mean ( I can read & undertand what BMW says it is...)...
"This system continuously adjusts the steering ratio and steering force to suit the changing driving situation. The steering ratio is constantly adjusted depending on the steering movement. So you can enjoy increased agility on winding roads, more safety at higher speeds, and great flexibility when parking."
...however, if one wanted MORE the "feel" of the previous classic BMW hydraulic steering, WOULD YOU WANT this "option" or not. Would the standard power assisted new type that comes "STANDARD" with 3 series feel more like the classic steering? On paper, tech wise, which one? I do not know which one I experienced?

ALSO...how can a 335i X drive that weighs 300 lbs. more...be a tenth of a second (0-60) quicker?
They (BMW) also lists the mpg. for the X drive but TBD for the 335i...very strange?

SPECS for335i:

Weight
Unladen 3571(3594) lb
Weight distribution, front/rear - Manual Transmission50.9/49.1 %
Weight distribution, front/rear -- Automatic Transmission51.5/48.5 %
Performance
Acceleration 0-60 mph - Manual transmission 5.4 sec
Acceleration 0-60 mph - Automatic transmission 5.4 sec
Top Speed 130 [155] mph
Fuel Consumption
Manual transmission -- City/Highway TBD(TBD)
Automatic transmission - City/Highway TBD(TBD)

SPECS for 335ix

Weight
Unladen 3814 (3824) lbs
Weight distribution, front/rear - Manual Transmission 53.8/46.2 %
Weight distribution, front/rear - Automatic Transmission 53.9/46.1 %
Performance
Drag coefficient 0.32 Cd
Top speed 130 [150] mph
Acceleration 0-60 mph - Manual transmission 5.3 sec
Acceleration 0-60 mph - Automatic transmission 5.4 sec
Fuel Consumption
Manual transmission - City/Highway 16/25 mpg
Automatic transmission - City/Highway 17/27 mpg

See less See more
#2 ·
Variable sport steering is a variable ratio rack. This means the amount of road wheel turn you get as you move the steering wheel varies depending how far off the center you are. Ratio is usually listed as 15:1 or 60 mm/rev (those are not the same ratio just examples of notation). Basically the mm/rev increases on a variable rack on the outside versus the inside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.