BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

E92 328i beats E92 M3...

11K views 73 replies 26 participants last post by  cwinter 
#1 ·
Part I:

...Does anyone think a E9x 328i beats E9x M3...(coupe 2 coupe, Sedan 2 Sedan, 'Vert 2 'Vert)
...as far a REAL WORLD usability around town and OVERALL as a sporty car to thrash around when appropriate?

1.Real world "usability".
2. Around Town
3.Overall

Part II:

Which NA engine GIVEN THE SAME "CARE" & DRIVEN THE SAME...
...will last the longest;
the simpler N52B30 and more mass produced enginefor the 328i
the more complex S65 and more exclusive "M" V8 engine from the Legendary "M" Division?
:)
: popcorn:

#2 ·
Not sure what the point of this comparison is, to be honest...

There's a 30k price difference between the two and they are two wildly different animals under a similar skin... If I could afford one (plus gas, maint and insurance) I'd always go with the m3. Reliability-wise I don't think they're going to be any different - one is just way more expensive to maintain than the other.

#3 · (Edited)
M3: 13-17 mpg around town.

328i: 21-26 mpg around town.

You want to throw away $1000 or more a year on gas for an M badge when gas prices are on the rise?

#31 ·
I do, but only because it's the last of a breed and has one of the best engines in the world. The mileage will matter but not much for me as it's a weekend car anyway.

#5 ·
I actually considered the M3. I know I made the right choice for every practical reason and I love my car which is a blast to drive. Do I sometimes wish I had the M3? Absolutely!

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

#6 ·
323i. It's simply a true pure bmw, can't get any better

Unless of course you have any money to your name

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

#7 ·
Who told you the S65 was simpler than the N52?

How about?

Part III:

Which one will give the driver a daily hard on?

#13 ·
A rather silly comparison.

The other fundamental error is the use of the word 'sporty' and '328i' in the same sentence.
193 bhp is Prius territory :)
0-60 in over 7 seconds is pretty pedestrian (although being a driving god, I'm aware you can do it 6.9 secs :thumbup:)
206 lb/ft torque is frankly abysmal.

Any other gems you want to put forward to justify your 328i purchase?

#15 · (Edited)
A rather silly comparison.

The other fundamental error is the use of the word 'sporty' and '328i' in the same sentence.
193 bhp is Prius territory :)
0-60 in over 7 seconds is pretty pedestrian (although being a driving god, I'm aware you can do it 6.9 secs :thumbup:)
206 lb/ft torque is frankly abysmal.

Any other gems you want to put forward to justify your 328i purchase?
Not sure where you are getting your numbers but its 230 bhp/ 200 ft-lbs for a 328i, and unless you are riding a heavy xDrive wagon like I am, I'm pretty getting to 60 in under 7.0 seconds isn't a problem for most.

#14 ·
OP has never stood on the accelerator of an E9X M3 and heard the V8 sing. Of course the 328i is more practical, but there's no question if money and gas grew on trees any sensible person would be driving the M.

#17 ·
Apologies Rock, guess my source of info on the 328i was incorrect.

So 6.9 secs 0-60 was there or thereabouts?
No apologies necessary I was just being a stickler for details ha ha. But I would guess mid to high 6 second range based on the US BMW website

#27 ·
Simplicity

Not sure who said what regarding "simplicity" and which of the S65 or N52 is more simple. To me it appears the OP asserted that the N52 is "simpler". That is incorrect, as the N52 has Valvetronic - which is definitely NOT a simple system and introduces many more parts. Although the S65 has 8 individual throttle bodies, that doesn't overcome the part count and complexity of the head on the N52.

#28 ·
Not sure who said what regarding "simplicity" and which of the S65 or N52 is more simple. To me it appears the OP asserted that the N52 is "simpler". That is incorrect, as the N52 has Valvetronic - which is definitely NOT a simple system and introduces many more parts. Although the S65 has 8 individual throttle bodies, that doesn't overcome the part count and complexity of the head on the N52.
Thank you, Floyd.

#29 ·
I'll let you know in a week or two.

#57 ·
well obviously no one ever does 60 on roads besides highways...

Not too long ago this grey veyron was going the opposite way at probably 130.. in a 45 (closed road ;))
this guy

No one ever installs the JBD and get 308whp & 500+lb tq either :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y0-CEK8Jp8&hd=1

#60 ·
m3 is a bimmer of bimmers! no way can the 328 compare to it, but as stated, they each serve a different purpose.

i originally got my 328 with the main intent of commuting and nothing else. for that it's served it's purpose well. never given me any problems except the rear tow hook fell out and i had to get that replaced. sometimes i wish i had the extra horses of the 335, so ill be looking into an f30 335 when they become available.

#61 ·
no

#72 ·
Actually went with a friend of mine to do PDC delivery of his M3, and did in fact have the opportunity to drive one like I stole it on the track there.

Personal attacks, really? :dunno:
Your the ONE who "personal attacked" me...calling me a :liar: or that I did not have experience with the car even though YOU had NO "basis" for that accusation...JERK OFF!

GROW UP;)

#73 ·
You're the ONE who "personal attacked" me...calling me a :liar: or that I did not have experience with the car even though YOU had NO "basis" for that accusation...JERK OFF!

GROW UP;)
fix't

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.