BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

I'll admit...i was wrong! B.m.w.

5K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  16n69 
#1 · (Edited)
B.M.W.=Bavarian Magic Workers

I have been harsh & cynical and mostly negative about the upcoming F30.
I am an enthusiast, I LOVE BMWs ( as well as Porsche)...and I love NA engines...GOOD ones
...and BMW has had some doozies, like my beloved N52 & S65.
And no one has to twist my arm...to get me to admit when I was WRONG.
Actually, in this case, happy to 'fess up that I was.

Been on a sort of holiday tour since Christmas. As some as you may know, some select companies get examples of pre-release cars.
I got to experience the F30 328i "sport" & 335i M-Sport.
AMAZING!!!
2 Freak'n amazing drives!
You would NEVER know that 328i had a 4 banger...the N20 pulls like mad, and the car handles like none in recent years, perfect balance, almost "M" like? Like the M division flew over and sprinkled it's magic tuner pixie dust on the other lesser cars...boosting their self esteem, lol?

The F30 cures the ho-hum nature of the E9x 328i, the only E9x I never was impressed with.
The F30 335i must be secretly underrated...feels more feral, kinda like the outgoing 335is.
A BEAST, that is for a regular non M car.

Styling wise, looks much, MUCH better in the flesh...er, "metal", that is.
STILL HATE that fugly hood-line, they could have done so much better with that as the other German builders have!
Except for that, looks sharp, a lot of "light catching" design subtitles that must be seen up close.
Still prefer the old hydraulic steering...maybe in time they can mimic it?:dunno: I hope so.
Not bad, though, just not as magical, feel wise.
M-Sport is killer outside, not so much inside, like the "Sport-line" and kinda Mazda like with goofy color trim and plain black interiors with aluminum trim, done by so many cheap brands. Wish you could mix some of the interior colors & "trims", from the "Luxury & Modern Line" with the M-Sport exterior? I wish:thumbup:
Thinking now, about one for the wife?

I still love the M3 and the E9x still RULES:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::roundel:
If you offered me a F30 328i AND a F30 335i for the E9x M3...I would choose the M3 every time:thumbup:
If they DO NOt do something "special" to the F8x next M3 design wise, like they did with the E9x HOOD (power dome & vents) side gills and wider body, not to mention the killer rear of the M3 with quad tips...I wil be pissed, it was the E9x M3 HOOD that told you right off this was no ordinary 3 series.

But those who cannot afford the next M3(or current for that matter)...will be happier than ever with the gap slightly closed handling wise, that is, betwen the 3 series and the M3, until , that is, the NEXt M3 arrives, which may surprise us all:yikes:

My fears assuaged, for now;)

See less See more
#7 ·
Wow, this is good news! Especially coming from you :)

How did the steering wheel in the Msport look and feel in person?

Thanks for the write up :thumbup:
Nice...I have small hands so it feels really thick to me, which I like:thumbup:
Like I said, though, nothing beats the "feel & feedback" of the classic BMW hydraulic steering.
Maybe, in time, they can artificially replicate this:dunno:
Let's hope so.:)
Overall, I eat my former "words" (except for the fugly hoodline)...the car(s) ROCK...
...and it is the 328i that is most improved.
Can't wait to see what Dinan does with the N20 & N55, or perhaps, even BMW performance upgrades?

Still, ya think these automotive wizards @BMW can find a way to meet the Euro safety mandates and STILL design a nice hood (line) like the E46 or at least the E9x has?
Other German companies can:confused:

#8 ·
oh ****, i just read your whole thing, didnt know you drove a 328 sport!:yikes: so jealous

Which suspension did it have? how was it?

How did you like the ZF 8 speed on the 328?

How were the sport seats?

The n20 has some toruqe, huh? I was impressed when i drove the z4 28i.

#9 ·
oh ****, i just read your whole thing, didnt know you drove a 328 sport!:yikes: so jealous

Which suspension did it have? how was it?

How did you like the ZF 8 speed on the 328?

How were the sport seats?
1. Not sure...?

2. Utterly fantastic, and I am a MT guy...at best DCT, this is an "AT" for the ages:thumbup:

3. Sport seats firm, yet comfy...only BMW can pull that off!
They have whole dept. that study the human physiology and engineer the seats accordingly!

I could not sleep afterwards, anticipating the possibilities for the next M3, if they up the ante?

I love the E9x M3, but more power with better mpg would be kinda nice.
And the F8x M3 may have it ALL inside, driver oriented angled dash with killer carbon fiber and upgraded leathers & trims, over the regular F30.:roundel:

#13 ·
Glad to hear the the great feedback from a "regular" guy who got to spend a lot of quality time with both engines, especially someone who that did not go as a real fan of the F30.:thumbup:

BTW, veeeery jealous. Would love to have such an opportunity before having to decide between engines and AT vs. MT.

#14 ·
Why...did you order already?

If not, can't go wrong with either, but, depends...for me, have rowed my own long enough, not getting any younger. and when I have a painful kink in my left knee, strain, tear from tennis or the like, nice to be able to still drive.
This new AT8 is killer:thumbup:...perfect, especially, for the N20:D
DCT or this new AT8 for me! (depending on the car, M will still surely have DCT)

#18 ·
The F30 cures the ho-hum nature of the E9x 328i, the only E9x I never was impressed with.
The F30 335i must be secretly underrated...feels more feral, kinda like the outgoing 335is.
Excellent to hear. We have the same low opinion of the E90 328i.
My sister had a typical lease special (6AT, no Sport) she just turned in and I was never impressed with it.
Always happy to get back in my trusty old E46 330i 5MT.

#19 · (Edited)
But those who cannot afford the next M3(or current for that matter)...will be happier than ever with the gap slightly closed handling wise, that is, betwen the 3 series and the M3...
This is a ridiculous, and frankly, an offensive statement! Buying an M3 versus some other model is about MUCH more than just what a person can or cannot afford. I could afford an M3 if I wanted one. I could afford a 5 Series if I wanted one. I could even swing a 7 Series if I *really* wanted one. It's not about what I can afford - it's about what I want. I love my power and handling, but I want a sedan... I want options that aren't available on the M's... I don't want something big like a 5'er or 7'er...

I'm buying an F30 335i Sedan because it is the perfect fit for what I'm after - plenty of power and handling, and suited to use as a small executive type car, and lots of cool technology. I'm buying it because it's what I want - not because it's all I can afford.

#20 ·
i checked out the F30 in auto show, i am impressed with the specs and interior, there will be lot of features on F30 for the same price (of E90) there will be reviews coming very soon. leg room is very good and finally better place for cup holders.

#23 · (Edited)

I am an enthusiast, I LOVE BMWs ( as well as Porsche)...and I love NA engines...GOOD ones

Been on a sort of holiday tour since Christmas. As some as you may know, some select companies get examples of pre-release cars.
I got to experience the F30 328i "sport" & 335i M-Sport.
AMAZING!!!
2 Freak'n amazing drives!
You would NEVER know that 328i had a 4 banger...the N20 pulls like mad, and the car handles like none in recent years, perfect balance, almost "M" like? Like the M division flew over and sprinkled it's magic tuner pixie dust on the other lesser cars...boosting their self esteem, lol?

Styling wise, looks much, MUCH better in the flesh...er, "metal".
BMWs always look better in the metal than in photos. I don't think photos are able to adequately capture the subtleties of their design.

Please, elaborate on these "select companies" and your affiliation. I'm way jealous.

#25 ·

OP,

Great review. Your comments indicate that the F30 retained the sporting nature of the 3 series and even enhanced it over previous models, which is great. But I have a question about normal road manners. My E92 (prior to non run flats and Koni FSD shocks) used to bounce over bumps/potholes, especially mid-corner ones, and also crashed over larger road irregularities. Was BMW able to resolve some of that harshness in the new model?

#27 · (Edited)

OP,

Great review. Your comments indicate that the F30 retained the sporting nature of the 3 series and even enhanced it over previous models, which is great. But I have a question about normal road manners. My E92 (prior to non run flats and Koni FSD shocks) used to bounce over bumps/potholes, especially mid-corner ones, and also crashed over larger road irregularities. Was BMW able to resolve some of that harshness in the new model?
A resounding YES:thumbup:
Aparrently, the RF tire technology is better, and BMW has better matched or tweaked the suspension and/or chassis design to simulate a more normal/performance tire feel with the RF's. I was impressed.:thumbup:

#35 ·
I went to the New England Autoshow in Boston last night...and guess what bmw had there? Two F30s! Sportline Melbourne Red 328i, manual transmission. And dark blue luxury line 335i AT. This car is seriously nice in person! Does not really look any bigger than the e90, imo. Melbourne red is such a nice red! The interior is really amazing. My wife loved it too, and is now really excited about it. This is for sure my next car.. in msport trim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.