BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

BMW have you gone "mad"...nuts, loco?

9K views 105 replies 27 participants last post by  16n69 
#1 · (Edited)
The Sport-line & M-Sport were equiped with the AT8...
I, like others assumed, beforehand...before the new cars were up on BMW's site...
that the new AT8 REPLACED the old Steptronic AT...but NO, only in the "Sportline" is it available...WHAT, they are keeping the old Steptronic for the AUTO in the Modern & Luxury.
SiCK.
But you may say, that the Modern & Luxury are not supposed to be "sporty"...uh no, ALL BMWs are "Sport Sedans"...and the "sportirst" transmission of all is the 6MT and IT is available on ALL the lines.
Why, come up with a greqt new AT and NOT use it on all the "lines".

You can't get this interior on this line...you can't get this transmission on that line...
...BMW is clueless on how to sell even MORE cars than it does:thumbdwn:
The cheapest Mazda like looking interior of the "Sport-line" has the new AT8, but if you want nicer richer colors like the saddle brown offered in the luxury & modern lines, and STILL want AT, you have to settle for the old Steptronic...oh, but you can have the one usually reserved for "sports cars & muscle cars" the 6MT.

Maybe B.M.W.= Bavarian Morons Wakeup

See less See more
#3 ·
Are you having dificulty reading or understanding clear English?:rolleyes:
Did I say anywhere..."there is no tiptronic ( an exlusive Porsche term for their AT)...
...unless you get "sport-line"???:confused:
NO , I said you cannot get the NEW BMW AT8 with MODERN & LUXURY lines, as the reatain the OLD "STEPTRONIC" (the BMW name for the ofd AT ) AT.

READ:tsk:

#8 ·
all cars get the zf 8 speed...then you can get the sport auto and get paddles, more aggressive mapping shifts(faster), and the gear selector thing.

But all cars get the ZF8 speed. Anything or one saying otherwise ir mistaken.

#22 ·
My gosh...I never said the INFO for available trannys was inaccurate...
I said you can only get the NEW SPORT AT8 with the sportline trim!
...and THAT is accurate.!!!
The "Steptronic" 8 is NOT the SAME as the Sport AT8...and is what you must choose for Modern & Luxury lines. NO Sport auto for those "lines".

You cannot get the interior you want, colors and tranny, BMW is become so FREAK'n & oppressively restrictive, especially for the U.S. market, what else is new?

#40 ·
I don't hold this valid. While it may not be their line of business it's something they offer for their business. If they don't have the expertise in house then they should contract with a third party who does have that expertise.

Furthermore it's not as if the ability to configure a vehicle on their web site is new. It's been available for quite some time. The framework is already in place, introducing a new model should be as easy as loading up the existing database tables with the new models, options, and pricing details. Then tweaking and testing.

Dell does this day in and day out and, to my knowledge, has few problems.

#43 · (Edited)
But it works and accurately reflects the configurations you can purchase, and Sport or S-line can be added to any other configuration. Makes me wonder if you've really played with it.

It's much less restrictive than BMW's new setup. My guess is that in 2013 and later with the F32 and F33 BMW will open up the configuration a bit more to offer some attractive colors for the Sport line. 2012 will be a customer beta test anyway.

#35 ·
Totally stupid IMHO that they limit configurability based on the different lines. What if you want sport transmission, but wood trim?

To me it's like BMW said "Lets group all our customers into 4 categories"

Modern - Yuppie
Sport - Mid Life Crisis
Luxury - Retired
Base - Badge Whore

:thumbup:

Any questions?

#48 ·
Totally stupid IMHO that they limit configurability based on the different lines. What if you want sport transmission, but wood trim?

To me it's like BMW said "Lets group all our customers into 4 categories"

Modern - Yuppie
Sport - Mid Life Crisis
Luxury - Retired
Base - Badge Whore

:thumbup:

Any questions?
I read "Retired" as "Retarded" on the first look at your post. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Man, I sure feel "Retired" after reading this thread. ;)

#47 ·
give it a rest...you were mis informed, created a thread based on mis information, then blasted people for giving you the right information, then tried to change your story...

#53 ·
OP: lighten up. Study the specs. Maybe cut back on the caffeine. All the F30 cars with auto transmission will have the same transmission — the ZF 8 speed. The Sport auto, available only on the Sport Line, it seems, is the same transmission with different controls and different programming. That's it. It's also the same transmission going into the F10 and the F20.

#60 ·
hahah this thread has got to be one of the funniest i've ever read! thanks 16n69 for giving me 10 mins of entertainment! your about to have a heart attack and give yourself an ulcer because the bmw configuration tool is slightly off? really dude? this car is not even out yet, the tool has been live for a few days and your going nuts.. honestly i would strongly recommend a psych evaluation; to get this worked up about something so stupid and wrong is cause for concern my friend

#70 ·
Pipeline (actually supply chain) is everything, and you have to think upstream (dealers) as well as downstream (suppliers). Putting IN the damn red-stripe dash is a no-brainer to BMW, it is waiting at the spot when the car gets there. But to order that dash, they need to tell the supplier, the supplier needs to get all his logistics in order, forecasts, what have you. Then there is supplier pricing, which BMW likely negotiates to be lower when large orders of the same type are placed.

To place and implement an order for 10000 red dashes is quicker/cheaper to BMW than to place and implement orders for 2500 red, 2500 blue etc. (yes I know there are no blue dashes, just an example)

#71 · (Edited)
This is largely true. But you should also be aware that BMW stocks almost nothing at its assembly sites. Suppliers deliver parts multiple times per day. Quantities aren't much of an issue in that setting, except in terms of production planning for both the supplier and BMW. And the point I keep harping on is: the limited choices and combinations are only for the US market. If you look at the configurations for other markets, you'll see that there is a much, much wider range of choices and options. Yes, some packages, but always individual choices. So it just doesn't seem likely that the rationalization of the product offering in the US has much impact on procurement or assembly.

There is really only one thing that BMW keeps a supply of on the assembly site: that's the painted bodies (and doors and lids) themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.