BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Home Made Garmin GPS Stand

5K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  wilt 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

wanna check out what i did to mount my Garmin GPS in the tray in the front console? There is no drilling, no permenant attachment and yet the GPS is mounted securely.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Nice job!

#14 ·
If you don't want to do the machine work, an alternative is to use PVC drain pipe and cap the ends. Glue the mount mating surface to the cap and then the mount attaches via suction to the mating surface. The whole thing fits in the cupholder like Professor's concept.

#15 · (Edited)
My 2011 E90 has no ashtray, merely the opening with a removeable 'mat' at the bottom. So I first removed the mat, put down some pieces of duck/cloth tape on the plastic surface of the tray and the underside of the rubber mat, then put some small blobs of silicone sealant to bond the mat to the plastic tray (semi-permanent since the tape on both surfaces can be eventually peeled off to restore both to factory condition). Then I took the round adhesive-backed suction disk and similarly secured it to the rubber mat (cloth tape, silicone sealant). Then the suction mount gets secured to the suction disk and the GPS mounted.

I wish the Garmin 24xx had a powered mount, but Garmin stopped that back with the 13xx series, so I have to run the traffic receiver/power source to the back of the 24xx. The GPS is up high enough (bottom of GPS is even with the console) to make data entry easy at stop lights, rather than having to fish it out of the tray had it been merely placed in the opening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.