BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

help fast!!

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  robertobaggio20 
#1 ·
Hows everyone?! well i have a question the part where the upper hose connects to the radiator, when you take the hose off it has that little thread that the hose fits on, is there any fitting or something to repair the threads that the hose goes on, because mine has deteriorated at the end and its causing the pressure to not build up because its leaving a gap and its heating my temp. gauge resulting in heating car! please help:thumbup:

#2 ·
If I understand you correctly, it sounds like the neck of the radiator outlet has failed. Pics would help. If that is indeed the case, you will need a new radiator. Unfortunately, that is one of the weak points of the E34 (and most every other BMW).

#4 · (Edited)
There are several sponsors to this site that can provide a radiator. Pelican parts, RMEuropean, Autohausaz, and several others. Just search Google and you can find some good deals. I prefer Behr brand for the radiator BTW.

#7 · (Edited)
You can always used pvc or 'pipe' tape. Wrap it around it many times until you have a thick enough layer, then put your hose back on and see if works out. You can also use JB Weld, or epoxy, to reinforce the radiator fitting, together with pipe tape.

Regardless, radiators are very cheap these days, and if you are going to keep your car for the long haul, it would be smart for you to do a full cooling system overhaul along with the radiator replacement. This involves both radiator hoses, radiator, thermostat, water pump (composite impeller only), water pump's pulley if yours is not made of thermoplastic, fan clutch if you still want to keep the stock engine fan, and coolant of course. Would make sense to change your belts at the same time. Only leave out those that you've recently changed.

If your radiator has failed, its a good bet that everything else is close behind, so the above set of anticipatory repairs would be prudent. In any case, it doesn't take long for a trained person to do all of the above....under 3 hours, and more likely 2. So the labour cost should be tolerable. And you're not going to need to change your radiator for the next 10-15 years (all the other stuff should last 100k or longer), so its worth the investment

Do your crankshaft sensor if you haven't yet it will be easy with everything out, if you proceed with the cooling system overhaul. Its easy to get at with the fan out and its a common failure item that results in no-start situations.

Please use more descriptive titles when you start threads. It helps people respond to you. Please read the sticky at the top of the list for more insights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.