BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

7 Series....."Aging Luxobarge"!?!?!?

6K views 48 replies 19 participants last post by  chrischeung 
#1 · (Edited)
Pretty annoyed at Motor Trend Magazine. In their current, September 2012, issue they call the Mercedes S-Class a "German Flagship Sedan" and they call the 7 Series an "Aging Luxobarge"!! The current S-Class is TWO years older than the current 7 Series. I find nothing aged or barge like about my, or anyone else's, F01/F02 7 Series!!! :mad:

#2 ·
I am reading the mag as this typing. Wth is wrong with them? I think the 7 looks more modern than the S. I would agree the S class always has road presence and status, but there is nothing that the 7 is short of. Hell, that's the reason I bought this car, not the S!

#3 ·
I guess sticking goofy Audi type LED lights everywhere makes the S Class more "modern", I'm glad BMW has stayed away from that nonsense. Don't get me wrong, the S Class is nice, very sporty looking but the 7 series has more road presence especially the LCI model with the new headlamps.

#4 · (Edited)
I guess sticking goofy Audi type LED lights everywhere makes the S Class more "modern"
I think it does. Everyone is going to LEDs. BMW did the same on the 2013 7er. Do you think they should just stick with Xenons?

I just wish the look and feel of the 7er wasn't as similar as the 5er. Sometimes at a quick glance, I couldn't tell the difference without looking at the exact lights and details. But with the S and E classes, the differences are much more noticeable.

#7 ·
Well, not just BMW, I think Audi is the worst in one sausage 3 different length with 4/6/8, I always mistake them on the road unless they get close. And Benz's C and S are the same, even though they are not as bad as Audi, I still mistake them from afar.

#8 ·
Well, not just BMW, I think Audi is the worst in one sausage 3 different length with 4/6/8, I always mistake them on the road.
Yeah, I agree with you there. You could buy an A6 and tell people it's an A8 and most of them would believe you.

On the S-Class.....it's more expensive than the 7, less reliable, and only comes in one wheelbase version. Is the ride more luxurious than the 7? Sure. But have any of you seen a black Hyundai Equus? It looks very similar to the S-Class. I'd rather get the Equus and pocket $40,000 then get the Benz.

I think the design of the 7 looks much more refined and sexy and has a great presence on the road.

#9 ·
You know one thing about Equus that I wish BMW would offer? The hyundai dealer will come to pick up the car from you to do service for your Equus instead of you taking the car to the dealer! I am so jealous! And I think this kind of service will benefit most of us.

#20 ·
I'm not sure if they will still offer this when I move out to LA (very doubtful), but BMW of Dallas offers valet pickup. Just simply call their service department and ask for valet pickup, schedule time and date, and they will send a driver for your car. Had them pickup and deliver my car several times. I would guess other dealer's offer this service as well, just typically don't advertise it.

#14 ·
Fully agree. Luxo = luxury. Barge = large. If I wanted a luxury sports sedan I would have got an Individual 3 series or M3.

#11 · (Edited)
Generally speaking, BMW, Mercedes and Audi all make great cars.
That said, I've never been a fan of Audi's recent front end treatment with the huge ugly grill. And as was already stated above, it's pretty darn hard to tell the three different Audi sedans apart. I'd bet 95% of people can not tell an A4 from an A8. Audi styling in the 90's and early 00's was much more attractive. The Bentley Division is doing a much better job. The Mulsanne has beautiful lines and a "stately" presence.
Don't get me started on Mercedes. They built some truly handsome cars over the years, but recently it looks as if all the displaced Pontiac designers landed in Stuttgart. Each new model gets uglier and more flamboyant than the last. Lots of disjointed lines, and way too many overwrought tacky details. The new SL is a disgrace. Like something a 12 year old would draw in study hall. It's a shame that Mercedes forgot what understated elegance is.
Obviously, I think the BMW 7-series is attractive. It really is a terrific design IMO. Classy and tasteful, yet muscular at the same time. Sort of like an athlete in a taylored suit.
Don't shoot me for this, but I also think Cadillac styling has come a long way. The CTS is a very handsome car, inside and out.

#13 ·
Don't get me started on Mercedes. They built some truly handsome cars over the years, but recently it looks as if all the displaced Pontiac designers landed in Stuttgart. Each new model gets uglier and more flamboyant than the last. Lots of disjointed lines, and way too many overwrought tacky details. The new SL is a disgrace. Like something a 12 year old would draw in study hall. It's a shame that Mercedes forgot what understated elegance is.
I owned a 2007 SL550 and I like the looks of the 2013 SL. I guess everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

#18 · (Edited)
Notice how BMW always stuck with quad round headlights, while all others mired us through rectangular, then amoeba shaped and "retro" round lights? IMO, split kidney grill & the quads ID BMW. Giant grill star logos & hood "ornaments" are ways I differentiate MBs nowadays. Who knows, maybe their next flagship sedan will wow the press with a return to opera windows?! Classic design vs trendy tinsel? I know which I'd rather own. Remember, auto journalists borrow our cars, drive them hard and get paid to file copy they hope their editors will approve. I was very unhappy with both drive feel and reliability of both new MBs I've owned (an E320 & SL500). Those ownership experiences are the reason I'm on my eighth new BMW since 2000. I love my 2012 "Aging Luxobarge" AH7L!

#23 · (Edited)
Regardless of what folks think about the Japanese and Koreans, I think the cars they build make German cars better, so it's a win win for everyone. Personally, I like what is happening in the market. I can only see the Koreans getting better, not worse, and the Japanese getting sportier. Look at what they've been able to achieve with the $25K Toyota FR-S. Some of that will flow into a new Mazda Miata. If they can translate some of that into Lexus, it can only lead to better driving cars. What's not to like?

My relatives were BMW owners in 1990, and received a BMW marketing newsletter in the mail. It was like some of those inserts you get in your monthly lease statement. One of the articles was lampooning the recently launched Lexus LS400 for an overheating rear brake light, alluding to the fact that they wouldn't survive with issues like this. 20 years on, you don't see that open public ridicule from BMW, Benz etc. It's more like Lexus has their space, and we have ours when they are mentioned, and they never mention it in direct marketing.

#28 ·
Equus shouldn't be in this equation, if there is any brand that German needs to be worry, it's Lexus.
They didn't worry about the Koreans with LCDs, semiconductors, phones, ships, and the lowly microwave oven. I usually think it's a little complacent not to be concerned with competition that is aggressive and cashed up.

#26 ·
I agree, the back seats are very impressive and they even recline.

People the buy a Lexus want that smooth comfy ride as if you were floating on clouds. BMW drivers on the other hand prefer performance and the ability to feel the road.

I had a 08' 460 and my Lexus dealer would pick up the car and take it in for service. I never took them up on that as I liked going to the dealer to see what all was new.

#27 ·
Their new GS is really changing the game, it actually handles better than 5 series, and drives more like a "BMW". The new LS460 sport is pretty interesting too.

However, Lexus is really lack in their engines, the GS only produce 306HP and LS only has 386HP with the new Gen. Our cars can smoke it very easily.

Now if their new gen due in 2 years excels in handling and power department, I might have to give it my hard earn money. :)

#29 ·
Their new GS is really changing the game, it actually handles better than 5 series, and drives more like a "BMW". The new LS460 sport is pretty interesting too.
I think we need to wait for the next generation cars. The current Toyota president's impact will be felt with those cars. Apparently he drove a lot of the development on the Toyota 86.

#31 · (Edited)
Lexus is going downhill
So you think they will be 4th in sales after Benz, BMW, and Audi? By when? Do you think they'll go the way of Pontiac? Or just loss of sales and market share?

I personally think they'll turn the corner. They won't be like RIM and Nokia vs Apple. After all, they are a $250 billion company. In 50 years time, all bets are off. I'm not even sure BMW will still be independent by then.

#32 · (Edited)
The GS direct competitor is 535i, 535i sport came in last and GS took the title in recent comparo, and as much as I hate GS's sonata rear, the interior is better than a standard 5 series. I personally drove the new GS and it's a big step forward in handling and interior design. For now, though, I think my BMW is better than any of the Lexus offering. Well, 400k LFA excluded. :D

#33 · (Edited)
I think my BMW is better than any of the Lexus offering.
To be honest, I think that the F01 and F10 are more Lexus (or Mercedes) like than traditional BMW. My car is in for service, and they gave me an E93 328i today. The steering and controls are HEAVY. I had a F10 528i a week ago, and that was very similar in feel to the F01, except less refined. The controls of the 3 series are almost tiring - something to get used to again. I drove a Ferrari F430 about a week ago, back to back against a Lamborghini Gallardo. And the Gallardo's controls were much heavier, the heaviest of any car I've ever driven from memory (but not truck). The F430's controls were actually quite a bit lighter than the E93 - probably half way between the F10 and E93. I preferred the Ferrari.

The one thing about both the Lamborghini and Ferrari that were nowhere near as good as a BMW (or Lexus or Audi R8 for that matter), was the quality of the interior. The buttons, switchgear and trim were so mismatched in terms of consistency, design and quality. The plastics almost felt cheap. The leathers, are of course gorgeous.

#38 · (Edited)
Guess people are just nicer in the Mid West. When I scheduled my service today, the service guy said he would have a car waiting on me when I arrived. I always assume they have a car for me when I take it in.

Does your dealers do the complimentary hand car wash? My son just got his license a couple of weeks ago and now he takes my car in to be washed. (we live about 3 miles from the dealer)

#47 · (Edited)
Why wouldn't you want a great riding car? I commute with my car and I don't want to feel every bump as in something like a Corvette or Nissan GTR (or so I'm told). It gets tiring.

The 7s a luxury limo - it needs a smooth and composed ride. I drove the 7 back to back against a Benz S550. Honestly the ride was similar between the two, from memory. BMW could have made the suspension harder, but I think they didn't want to, since they want that luxuirous ride.

If you want a sporty suspension, I would say the B7 or AMG Benz should be your choice, not having driven either.

#46 ·
Cool,your username does ring a bell since I was checking on 4gs forum quite often. We do have some members here are also members over at CL. Most of the members here, at least in f01 forum, are also owner of different brands. I guess we all just love fine cars. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.