BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Check Engine light doesn't illuminate

16K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Jirozame 
#1 ·
When I cycle my key to the 'ON' position, all the dash lights light up except the Check Engine light. My car is having trouble passing emissions so I'd like to know if OBC is turning on the light or not. Is there a way the previous owner could have disconnected it but not the other lights? Fuse?

Thanks

#2 ·
The light is burnt out :confused:, I WOULD say a fuse but if your SRS light, your Brake service light, and all those light up then I would say it is not a fuse but a bulb problem. If it was a loose connection then none of your lights on the dash would work... since the dash is set up the same (general) way the brake light housings are. :dunno:

#5 ·
most times it's a burned out element in the bulb. all of the dash lights are designed to come on when keying up, it's a self check diagnostic thing.

if the bulb has been replaced, then make sure that the contacts are, uhhhh,...contacting :dunno:

and that it is the correct bulb. i have had parts guys gie me wrong bulbs before. it happens sometimes.

df

#11 ·
Any sensor can go out at anytime for any reason. I have also heard that sometimes when you replace one sensor on the car the brother sensor will go out. I don't know if that is too common ( I was told it happens more on the E30's)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.