BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

535xi misfiring

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  NoQuarter 
#1 ·
Hi

My dad has a 2008 535xi. A while back the engine started to run really rough and threw a code. I read them out - it was a misfire on cylinder 5. The car had spark plugs done fairly recently (about 20k miles ago), so I decided to change out that ignition coil. Replaced it, tested it, and all seemed to be well

Fast forward to now (maybe 3000 miles later). Car again threw a code and suffered a severe loss of power. Pulled the codes, and again, it's a misfire on cylinder 5.

Given that the spark plugs are pretty new and the ignition coil was very recently replaced, I'm inclined to think that the issue is something else. Is there anything common on these cars known to cause intermittent misfires?

Car has approximately 70k miles on it today. Runs well otherwise.

Appreciate any help you guys can provide.

#6 ·
My dad just bought a CPO 2008 BMW 535XI fully loaded with navigation, cold weather package, park distance control, premium package, and comfort access. He just bought it last December in 2011. It is still under the CPO warranty and will be under it for the next two years. I am hoping that we will either not have to run into this problem or we will run into the problem while it is under warranty. Another problem I have noticed is when we are driving on the road and hit a small bump we will hear a metal on metal noise banging in the center console. The sound is like two muffin tins hitting each other quietly. Please tell me if you have had this problem. It is so very annoying. By the way the car has around 60,100 miles on it. We bought it with 45,435 miles on it. We do not drive it on rough roads or thrash it around it seems like a defective part of the car.

#7 ·
Check the strut brace under the hood. It attaches to the strut towers and then to the firewall right in the center. It can be loose or have a broken mounting tab making noise that sounds as If it is coming from inside the console.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.